1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dilbone's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by dilbone, Mar 13, 2012.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

You seem so relaxed and in control in your videos, your playing seems to flow very easy, and the guitar sound great.

Fantastic job!!!

2. emoney

emoney Tele-Afflicted

Great job, Dilbone! The guitar looks and sound perfect. You've outdone yourself I think.

3. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Dave, I've enjoyed watching your unconventional finishing techniques...good stuff!!

Thanks Allthesound, I'm just glad that pictures don't show all the detail of real life;)

before I painted it I kept having those, "is this really a doug fir post?" moments...thanks!

Thanks rcole, I feel like I just keep playing the same things over and over again, but I have fun all the same:lol: I can't wait to hear yours.

I think I've outdone myself too;) which may not be saying much:lol: thanks emoney

4. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Great job, Dilbone! Congrats.

5. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that looks and sounds great!

6. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Great build Chris , love the color , the finish , the neck , the double f-holes , the sound , just a pretty guitar :)

7. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

thanks guys, I really appreciate it

8. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I'd say this is the best intonated guitar I've heard yet this year. That thing is more perfectly in tune than all the other uh umm perfectly in tune guitars this year. Nice work.

9. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks...that wraparound bridge is just perfect. I get a little nervous using anything without plenty of individual adjustment in the saddles, but I am totally pleased with that bridge. I may have to pick up another one and replace last year's challenge build bridge with it. The only issue was string spacing which is a little wider than the filtertron poles are. The high E string was just outside the edge of the poles, so I had to file a new slot for it to get it in the ballpark.

10. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Final Post--It's a wrap...

Thanks to all those that checked in from time to time on this build and for all the kind words that were shared. It's a priveledge to be able to participate along side so many top notch builders here. It seems the build challenges just keep getting exponentially better every year. GREAT JOB everyone, and thanks again to Paul for setting it all up for us.

Final pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and video:

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. 6stings

6stings Tele-Meister

Your take on Cabronita is just amazing! Beautiful! Congratulations!

12. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks 6stings much appreciated, I'm loving this guitar right now...tough to pick up anything else to play these days

13. 6stings

6stings Tele-Meister

I can understand that!

14. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Great build! I really dig how it sounds too. Quite a nice growl.

A question for you on the wraparound bridge that I didn't see mentioned in the thread. I was under the impression that wraparound bridges and Tune-o-matic bridges require an angled neck pocket to account for the higher string height of the bridge. How did you handle this?

15. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

This is the post where the neck angle was discussed. I know some guys have just shimmed the necks with the increase in bridge height, but I don't like having a gap there behind the neck and figure an angled pocket makes for a tighter connection.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2012-tdp...nge-build-thread-completed-2.html#post4029935

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.