1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dilbone's 2012 Challenge Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by dilbone, Mar 13, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Good to hear the posts didn't give you any fits. You've really created a thing of beauty here.

2. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Roger, keeping my fingers crossed that it finishes well.

3. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

The other day I had to figure out what to do about the pickup cavity depth because the screws I have are only 1.25" and won't give me enough adjustment, 1 because I routed the cavity too deep and 2 because the screws on the filtertron are so long...
    [​IMG]

So I took my back&decker wizard and removed the clear and paint from the bottom of the pickup cavity so I could glue in a couple of blocks for the mounting screws to grab
    [​IMG]

Then it was on to cleaning out the bridge post holes...first with needle files...not a good idea. Acetone on a cu-tip is much better
    [​IMG]

Last night I ended up fixing the area of drop filled. Scraped with a razor blade first, hit it with 1500 grit, then polished it up by hand a bit. It was looking as good as it needed to look considering it will be hidden by the bridge anyway. I took my soldering iron out to the barn along with the posts and a 1/2" dowel. I chucked the dowel in the drill press and sat a bridge post in the hole I had just repaired. After about a minute with the soldering iron on the post it seemed warm enough so I pushed it on home with the press and hoped for no cracks...looked good
    [​IMG]

I almost had side 2 done when I realized I needed a ground wire...almost an oops... I ran in the house to grab some black wire and repeated the process. There were some nasty cracking sounds on the way in, but it went in with no issues in the clear.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Looks good to me
    [​IMG]

Then I realized I needed some clearance for the ground wire in the pickup cavity. There's no room for the wire against the wall of the cavity so the wizard did some more removal.
    [​IMG]

I hope tonight is neck mounting holes and tuning machines...should be some music made by the weekend!!

4. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Wow i really like that metallicy orange color very sharp. Nice job on the neck too, its really looking great!

5. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Allthesound, It's really turning out well I think.

So last night I got the neck holes drilled, used some candle wax to cut the threads and mounted it up. The screw holes needed to be at the same angle as the neck pocket so I used my neck pocket template with the riser on it to drill those holes
    [​IMG]

and used some mdf cutoffs to keep the neck from rocking back and forth
    [​IMG]

Pretty nice fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was on to the tuners...the hole for the D string was off a little but they look ok
    [​IMG]

You can see the D string tuner shifted out of alignment on this pic...today it's on to the nut and wiring it up. Should be tunes by tonight...fog here and they canceled school...what a shame:lol:
    [​IMG]

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

They cancel school cuz of fog :eek:. If I had lived there as a kid I'd have spent all my time building a giant dry ice freezer to create fog.

Great looking guitar, that color is awesome.

7. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Yep, usually one every year either fall or spring...if they don't have much more than .25 mile visibility by the time the buses have to leave they'll cancel.

thanks Muzikp, it's growing on me...;)

8. RogerC

Your work has been impeccable on this build. Very nice

9. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Got home from teacher meetings since classes were called off and went to the bag I have some petco dog bone pieces in...this is where we start
    [​IMG]

After some time on the ROSS being careful not to lose any finger tip flesh it squared up pretty well
    [​IMG]

Then I had to hand sand it to get it to proper thickness checking it often with the nut slot
    [​IMG]

It fits
    [​IMG]

marked the fretboard curve and sanded to the line so it sits nicely in the slot
    [​IMG]

Once I had the bottom fitting correctly I marked out the top and sides
    [​IMG]

more time at the bandsaw, ROSS, and hand sanding had it looking good enough to mark the string locations and get out the nut files
    [​IMG]

It didn't take too long to get the nut ready, then it was on to wiring it up. After wiring it I checked to make sure I had signal from the pickup then went on to string it up. I did some quick nut slot filing and raised the bridge a bit for a quick setup and took it out for a test drive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and put a string tree on only the B and E, the D and G seem fine right now. I checked intonation and I apparently had it spot on perfect already where I had initially placed the bridge.

It sounds freakin' awesome if I do say so myself. It has some serious rawk in it, but that jangle you'd expect from a gretsch as well. The action is so low it's hard to believe it's not buzzing badly. I basically raised the bridge as I was stringing it up just to get the strings off the fretboard expecting to have to raise it more later, but it is perfect. I still need to make a rear control cover and clean it up a bit more as I still have wet sanding residue all over, but this one is just about ready for the road.

10. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Roger, love the concrete caster...even though it's a back breaker...:lol:

11. RogerC

I really don't have any more superlatives to heap on this build, so I'll just offer up the best thing I can come up with at this point--- :eek: Dude...

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

That is a seriously good-looking guitar, beautifully made. You should feel very proud !

13. dilbone

dilbone Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys, it certainly isn't perfect...but it is by far the nicest guitar I've built to date. I've learned a whole lot about what to do and what not to do to get a nicer finish next time. In fact...I've got some at least 100 year old pine out in the barn that's screaming for a burst finish but I'm gonna have to take a break after this one. I've been pretty consumed for the past 2 months...maybe summer:cool:

14. ugly_guitar_guy

ugly_guitar_guy Tele-Meister

Holy crap! I'm usually not a fan of orange guitars, but that orange sparkle looks good enough to drink! Well done.

15. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

I love them orange guitars and that is a stunner right there. Great job!

16. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

That has turned out really well. I think that I need an orange guitar now.

17. junk mutt

junk mutt Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar Dilbone, Well done.:) I love that colour.:cool:

18. rapfohl09

rapfohl09 Tele-Meister

Whoa...

Pause.

Whoa....

19. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

I've got to make an orange guitar next... It looks just perfect with the Filtertron. Glad it sounds nice; look forward to the vid.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a Gretsch owner, and an aspiring half-fast Tele builder--I've gotta say I'm pretty damn impressed. Need that video quick, with good sound, please!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.