1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Digitech Trio+

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by marsh99, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

For those who have been waiting for a great deal on the Trio+,Prymaxe is having a 20% off sale.
    The Trio+ can be had for 239.96.For what it is worth all their pedals are 20% off.

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Yeah, and that's free shipping to. Obsessed here is your chance to get that Trio+ new at at a used price. Platefire

3. Platefire

Built some more songs on the Trio+. I do pretty fair trying different styles to find parts to fit to my liking also using the red part setting to get more intensity and produce a decent believable arrangement.

The main problem I'm having is on the endings. Very few songs can I make to end like I want it. It's hard to get a complete stop in the right place. What has happened most of the time is the Trio adds an extra measure and a drum roll and final hit once you sequence it as the final part/ending. Since I can't seem to control what the Trio+ will do on the final measure, I've been building a final lick with the looper to fit what the trio did. Only problem is it sometimes cuts the bass off before the final hit. I've been thinking of adding a bass part with the looper to get the bass into the final actions. Should be a better way???

Has anyone had better results building endings to get a more desired results??? If so, please share!!! Platefire

4. Platefire

Built some more songs on the Trio+. I do pretty fair trying different styles to find parts to fit to my liking also using the red part setting to get more intensity and produce a decent believable arrangement.

The main problem I'm having is on the endings. Very few songs can I make to end like I want it. It's hard to get a complete stop in the right place. What has happened most of the time is the Trio adds an extra measure and a drum roll and final hit once you sequence it as the final part/ending. Since I can't seem to control what the Trio+ will do on the final measure, I've been building a final lick with the looper to fit what the trio did. Only problem is it sometimes cuts the bass off before the final hit. I've been thinking of adding a bass part with the looper to get the bass into the final actions. Should be a better way???

Has anyone had better results building endings to get a more desired results??? If so, please share!!! Platefire

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Aaaahhhh, I missed it.:eek::mad::( I've been in a blackout without internet for a few days. I don't think I got an email from them, because I just checked and it is 15%.:eek::mad::(

I'm checking again.

Super thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll call them and see what they'll do.

6. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I just got a trio+ and I am frankly amazed at the overall quality of the box, great sounds and lots of options. Platefire, I share your frustration with the ending and also with the inability to get either the bass or the drums to simply stop playing. Nevertheless, a fantastic tool and I will be using it a lot.

7. Obsessed

YESSSSSSS!!!! I got it! 20% off. Yeah. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Went back through my huge list of emails and found the Memorial Day one from Primaxe.:cool:

Thanks big time Garage Dog.:) I'm in the midst of moving into the house and still need to wire the office and the router to have internet again. :rolleyes:

I decided to keep the JML2. Thanks Platefire for the slight push there. Sounds like you are having great success with your combo T+/Jamman.

Dang, I still don't have the new studio wired or sheetrocked yet.:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Okay, yeah, an exciting 1/2 hour. My heart is racing a bit. On a high. I'll have to get a glass of something to celebrate with.

8. Platefire

Yea!!! Hooraw! three times! yeah that was a good deal. Glad you finally got it.

Regarding your house being in transition and things chaotic, you don't need much space with a trio+ to have some song building fun. 1 electric guitar/cord, 1 set of headphones, an electrical outlet to plug in and a chair--or you can stand up.
    Just park in some forsaken corner of the house and go after it. That's the way I build songs and then when they are done, hook them up to a amp/speaker system and jam with it---latter if need be. I built two songs last night. Songs that I've been playing for years but never had a backing track for, but now I do. Just need help with those endings:rolleyes:Platefire

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Platefire

AndreDanican

Regarding endings, it will stop on an ending part once you have sequenced several parts together. Only problem it usually ends with a final cymbal crash or drum hit usually without the bass in a place that is not convenient for the song. To have a song end with a final drum hit and no bass is spineless.
    You can't throw in a final guitar cord on the looper because you can't tell how the trio is going to end it until you've sequenced it. So it's a catch 24 situation. Best I've been able to do is wait to see what the trio does with the ending and try to throw something in with my guitar playing to try to beef it up. Digitech needs to work on that! Platefire

AndreDanican likes this.
  10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Platefire, I thought the external pedal was for muting the bass/drums or both? Are you using the 3 button external add on? This might solve the endings problem.

Just picked one of these up by the way. A songwriters friend for sure.

11. Platefire

Congratulations on the pedal. Did you go for the 20% discount?

I do have the extra foot pedal. It's in use with the original JamMan to scroll through the programs.

I'm just not sure that muting bass or drums could help me on the endings? My ears are open on the how? I am getting better on the endings with just more familiarity with the box. Platefire

12. Middleman

I did not get the 20% discount, I had picked it up prior to reading this email thread and got 15% off at the GC memorial day sale. I just ordered the 3 button external pedal, hoping to get it in a few days.

Not sure why a 32GB memory card would not allow more songs than the 8GB. That doesn't seem to make sense but they might have put a limit (format approach) on the storage space allowed for songs and used the rest for other things. Hoping this is not the case and I can keep a couple of full playing sets on the 32GB card.

I plan to use it with keyboards and acoustic guitar to create rhythm tracks and then play electric live. May alternate that approach on some songs and use the acoustic. The pedal comes close to DAW capability in a box. Just amazes me so far. Although, I have found some original material that it doesn't help the "band" to get the right groove and I've realized the band training may require playing approaches that are very simple chordally to get the right groove. Once the band gets the right groove then you can come back with the more syncopated playing of the actual song. In other words, dumb it down for training.

13. Obsessed

Thanks. I might have missed the whole Memorial Day sale, if I hadn't dragged my Laptop to town. I'm putting in a new inverter, so no 120 VAC right now. I have 12 VDC up and running, so I can play through my portable amp and pedal board, but no JML2. I've been playing acoustic sitting on a stack of drywall in the living room.:rolleyes: Knowing that the T+ is coming might force me to rearrange my priorities this week. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  14. Platefire

Middleman----that's why I'm using my JamMan Stereo in conjunction with the T+ because of the limitation of only 12 full length songs. There is 99 locations on the JamMan. I just mix down from T+ to JM with count in and save it as a single so it will stop at the end. Got 56 so far. The hardest part about doing this regarding performing live is mixing down to get the play volume/level right for every song so between each song you don't have to fiddle with the level control----just find you song program number, push play, your hear your count in and play then it stops automatically at the end. With the T+ I find it hard to find a loop/bass/drums mix setting that fits every song. With that pre-mixed to the JM, that's another thing you don't have to mess with in live performance. So if Digitech/Harman could get their stuff together and create a box with the creativity of the T+ and the loop saving ability & quantity of the JamMan you could have it all in one box--The Trio+JamMan. Call it "Your Band" creation and performance tool.

Obsessed---I guess sitting on a stack of drywall is a good of spot as any. I know your looking forward to the arrival of the T+. I tell you with all the jamming I'm doing with the result of getting the T+, my guitar playing and singing is improving which is a good thing. The wife and I have the PA set up with mics, her keyboard, my amp/guitar/pedal-board setup in the Living Room. I create a new song on the T+, transfer it to the JMS and of course we have to jam on the new tune to test it out. Sometimes I have to go back delete, remix the volume or rework a part on the T+ then re-mix again but the results is very satisfying when you get it right. Platefire

15. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

The best thing I've been able to do with the + is teach it, tweak it and get my original songs as close to what I hear in my head. Then I play them back to my real band so they understand my idea. Without the + it made for akward conversations and hard feelings... no pedal will ever replace my buddies, at least not yet.;)

16. Platefire

Your right, there is no substitute for the interplay with other musicians. I'm thankful I have real human beings to play with in my Church Praise Band. The Trio/JamMan offer the next best substitute in the absence of real musicians to play with you. My experience with writing original material and bringing it to the other band mates, no matter how well you have it down, lay it out, they usually want to add their ideas to the mix. In some cases that can be an enhancement to the creative process or a complete train-wreck. I've seen it go both ways. You more or less have to predetermine where to draw the line on your own material. Platefire

17. fuffydingo

fuffydingo Former Member

I agree, I love the interplay with our band. The + now gives a good starting point for songs and ideas. We can build on it from there. Before it was really hard to convey, especially drum beats and patterns.

18. Platefire

If anybody figures out how to get the T+ to do stops, let me know please. When I do stops by accenting a cord with a quick cut off the T+ will recognize it by doing something slightly different like short drum roll and bass might do a slightly different bass part, but no solid drum & bass hit stop in unison with my guitar learning mode hit. So I am now thinking this is beyond the T+ ability and function unless someone else has unlocked the secret to make it work.

Also, same thing on sustained holds for 8 counts with a final hard accent/stop on count 8 for endings. With that the bass holding a sustained note and drums continuous roll with the same accent/stop on count 8. That's standard course for a lot of RnR songs, but appears to be beyond the T+'s ability unless I'm missing something:>) Platefire

Platefire

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  19. Middleman

The "stop" on the count of one is easy. As you are teaching the band just hit the band stop button on the one count and you get a nice clean stop at the end of the prior measure. Not so easy if you are stopping in the middle of a measure but you can try that. But you could try the stop on 7 instead of 8.

I think I've got the "strategy" of the box down for getting good results. The drum pulse is basically using the first sound as the one count and creates the timing (and ultimate drum track) by monitoring the sound of your pick or fingers against the strings. You can just pluck the strings (but deaden them for sound) and you see how the unit uses the sound pulse to create a beat. This is important to how you play chords when you are teaching the unit your song. You don't always want to play the exact chords as you would when playing live but keeping in mind the type of beat you want and play the chords in that pulse/pattern. They are not being recorded initially anyway. A more simplified approach with the right pulse for drums yields a more accurate result. Then you can use Alt Time and simplified bass as well as playing with styles to dial it in to exactly something you want.

Taking the above approach you can get something usable quickly versus randomly searching settings. The harder part is understanding how many measures of each part of your song you really need to record. If you are on the same chord or chord pattern for 8 bars, sometimes recording just 4 bars that you can use over and over is all that is required. This allows more flexibility to building endings and transitions better when you are using shorter parts of the song and just sequencing them to fit. This will also get you some nice drum fills between sequenced parts to give the song more of a live feel.

I already have some improvements for Digitech:

- Let me copy and paste parts and then modify the copy.
    - Use the Alt Time button in conjunction with the style knob to save more songs to 32 GB SDs. 24 would better.
    - Let me have access in the software to individual parts for tweaking and transition fills.

20. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I was thinking about getting one of these but the more I hear and think about it, I think I'd like the greater control and individualistic creativity of a standalone looper. I think I'd get really bored with standard bass and drum loops. If I'm gonna have programmed drums and bass, I think id rather do it myself. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm looking at getting the Digitech Jamman solo xt. It seems like less money and more flexibility. Tell me I'm wrong and why.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.