1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Digitech Trio+

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by marsh99, Mar 31, 2016.

1. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

Thought I'd start a new thread on the Trio+ as opposed to the original Trio pedal. I have just got one as has member Platefire and I know member Obsessed is waiting on one to arrive.

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday fiddling around with it and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I'm not sure you could use it live as Digitech claim, but it is great for generating backing tracks to play over.

As Platefire said in another thread, it sounds better with the drum and bass through a PA (or monitor speakers in my case). It works fine through the front end of a clean valve amp but separating the two signals sounds best.

I tried quite a few loops, a few soul/funky things, a Cream style Strange Brew rip off, a 2-5-1 jazz progression and the chord progression for jazz standard Autumn Leaves. All worked well, but I couldn't get anything out of the metal setting - more than likely my bad there!

So much to learn and explore with this pedal. The built in effects are ok, but I prefer using it with the pedalboard in the FX loop, which works well.

One thing I'm most impressed with is that the bassline changes subtly each time a loop goes around lending a slight variation to things which is less tiring on the ears. Very clever!

Some of the sounds are a little synthesised, especially when heard in isolation, but once you get a couple of guitar lines on there, it all blends in nicely. I look forward to hearing any other views on this neat little tool - I'm off to try it with some lap steel!

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've had one for about a month or so and I agree, they're great. The sounds, beats, bass etc are very usable and realistic.
    As for live playing, I think a solo or duet could easily record their backing tracks on a couple of Micro SD cards (basically 24 songs) and have enough for a few sets. The fact that you can pre-arrange Verse-Chorus-Bridge (plus intro-end) etc for each song is workable for live gigs. Using a footswitch to extend the bridge on the fly is also possible if I'm reading the manual correctly.

B4MYTIME likes this.
  3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I've been fiddling with it this morning and kind of amazed. One thing I just verified is that you can actually put 60 repeating cord progression songs committed to memory. If you use the 5 parts per song for a separate cord progression or songs plus you have 12 song locations, that's 60 locations.

In just a matter of minuets I did four song/loops for songs I do with repetitive cord progressions all through the song and just amazed how fast you can do it on this box. I used folk, jazz and country settings. The count in feature is also a cool feature. Platefire

4. Platefire

Got a question about the Trio+ who maybe in the know? On page 31 of the manual it says to save your current part stop playback for 5 seconds and the current version is saved.

My question is, are the current loop, bass and drum volume level settings saved too?

To me it seems like they are even though I can find no place in the manual where it actually spells that out.

It seems once I set the mix of the loop, bass and drums, the mix remains when I return to the part. Anybody know about this? Platefire

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Somehow, I missed this post, but I'm glad I finally did. Thanks for clarifying this memory storage issue. It is exactly what I had hoped it was, but had not read about any confirmation.

BTW, I wish I could answer your question about the drums and bass being saved, but I still don't have a T+ yet.:eek: My selected source is still sold out and I'm hoping for a coupon while I purge more gear to pay for it.:(

6. Platefire

I seen one on eBay last night for $269 in un-opened new box and free shipping.

Yeah I'm wondering if it saves your last level setting because I listened last night to catalog my 20 songs I got so far and all the levels seemed right for every song without any adjustments but that may have been because I was using headphones!?!? Platefire

7. Obsessed

Believe me, I've been very close to pulling the trigger on that one. I'm such a bargain hunter though.:rolleyes:

8. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

For those bargain hunters out there.
    I have been buying my pedals from Prymaxe for quite some time now.
    They are constantly running 20% off every chance they can.
    I picked up the Trio+ for $239 brand new.
    Hope this helps.

9. Platefire

Hay obsessed, I understand being a bargan hunter and being Frugle. I just happen to have sold my military tube tester and had a few bucks in my pay pal for a change. I had resisted the first Trio version but the new upgraded version+$ overrode my normal. That probably means I want be buying anything else for a while.

Thanks Garage Dog for the Prymaxe tip. I looked and they do have tons of pedals. Platefire

10. Obsessed

Yeah, I missed this and now waiting for the next opportunity.

11. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Since Jimi died I'm the only musician left on the Isle-of-Wight so been looking at the Trio or Trio+ for sometime.

Does anybody get phasing / isolation issues when taking bass/drum output to a separate amp etc (like you can get with running stereo delays into two amps.)

Ok - Eddie.

12. Platefire

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean but I have been running my Trio+ mixer output to a direct box, then xlr Mic cord to PA, whitch is the same way I hook up my JamMan. Other than being in mono, everything is clear, well defined it's just on rare occations on both units, it seems to skip a beat just every once in a while but gets your attention and you think "what was that?"
    Platefire

13. Obsessed

I run my Jamman Stereo's initial loops of drums (made from a drum machine) and basslines into a bass amp and then loop over with guitar through a guitar amp and never noticed any phasing. FWIW.

14. Platefire

Got a question on memory/storage with the micro SDHC Class 10 card. The manual says use 8-32 GB.

If you have only 12 five part songs that you can store;

1-What would be the advantage of buying larger than 8 GB if 8 will do the job?

2-What size SDHC does the Trio+ come with?

3-So if there is an advantage of using a larger card, can you go over the 32GB indicated in the manual?

Platefire

15. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

Just got one of these today. I've never played in a band or practiced with a bass player or drummer before. Anyway, I played the chords to "Crocodile Rock" in the learn mode, and then played along with the band. I won't be expecting a call from Elton John anytime soon, but it sure is a blast to be playing along with a virtual band.

oldgofaster likes this.
  16. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

My guess is that the card slot is a standard electronic card slot that can take 8-32gig SD cards (probably cheaper than a custom spec one). However I'd suspect there isn't an advantage to having a bigger card for the reasons you're discussing. Though multiple cards would. 12 songs on one card, 12 songs on another card etc.

B4MYTIME likes this.
  17. Platefire

Thanks screaming Eagle!

looked at some micro SDHC cards today at Wally World. I found them for 8, ,16 & 32 GB. I couldn't find anything indicating the "Class 10" as stated in the manual specs. Does anyone know what class 10 is refering to?

I will probably get a 32 GB just to be on the safe side. My loops will probably get more detailed as I progress.

Just Dropped In----I tell you I've played with a lot of bands over the years and still do. There is nothing like it when it's working right but at its best playing with a band is a type of compromise of your own personal taste in order to be part of a team/band. The good thing about the Trio is there is no clash of personalities or attitudes, the Trio is working to sopport your vision completely. As you learn how to operate this amazing tool, it will be even more of a support. Platefire

Just Dropped In likes this.
  18. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

Class 10 refers to the speed rating of the card as far as I know. This would indicate that the Trio is moving data at a rate that requires this speed, as opposed to the "slower" kind. I would ensure that you follow what the manual advises to avoid any issues. Do they spec brand as well? That can sometimes be important.

19. Platefire

OK thanks RedWhiteBlues

The manual didn't specify any brand. It's just at Wally World the card packages are attached to the display rack and you can't read the back to tell the classification number. May need to try Best Buy. Platefire

20. HarmanCanadaEng

HarmanCanadaEng TDPRI Member

The levels on the TRIO+ are not saved with the loop - those are pot levels that are applied on the fly. However, we tried our best to balance the styles such that if you weren't changing your map/mixer settings you wouldn't generally have to do too much level fiddling between styles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.