Digitech Supernatural vs Digitech RV-7, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 23, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have the option of having one or both of these, but I try not to overlap duty on pedals. Just curious what people think of either of these and why they would keep one over the other. I have listened to various comparison videos and it seems the supernatural is a bit warmer, maybe geared towards more ambient stuff, while the RV-7 is your meat/potatoes Reverb pedal. Both use Lexicon algorithms, so good sounds either way.

Appreciate some input.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those pedals are way too expensive for what they are IMHO, all because shoegazers (*whistles*) started grabbing them up for reverse. Polara can almost do both with the same algorithms too, but it's reverse setting is not the same. If it's a good price, I'd personally get the Supernatural just to say I had it :D

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I'd say your assessment sounds just about right. I have the Supernatural and it's gorgeous for ambient soundscapes. It'll do regular reverb duties too.

bluesholyman likes this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The RV-7 is on my main board right now. It has an exceptionally good Spring mode, but all the modes sound great. Like you said the RV-7 covers the basics. I would think the Supernatural would be for more exotic sounds. Just my 2 cents.

Stillhouse likes this.
  5. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

The RV-7 is a great pedal, the supernatural is a great otherworldly pedal....
    None of them are in any way bad....pick the one that will suit you the most!

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

If I remember correctly, Tom Cramm was on TGP at a certain point stating that the reverse setting is identical on both the Polara and the RV-7. IIRC, he was somewhat nonplussed by folks on forums insisting that they were different when he literally designed both of them and made the reverse setting on each identical.

I’ve had the Polara and the Supernatural and both were fine pedals. The Supernatural is a little darker in general, but both give you the Lexicon goodies, if that’s what you’re after.

The OP pretty much has the right idea, the Supernatural has more of an ambient leaning and the RV-7 (and Polara) are great all-rounders for reverb. They’re both high quality sounds, it’s more just a matter of what your reverb needs are.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Supernatural sounds good if you want to get spacy and make spooky movie soundtracks. In a band situation it gets lost quickly. I haven't played the RV7, but it seems a lot more useful. Unless you make soundtracks.

8. BorderRadio

Those are nice boxes but I feel any reverb pedal is also an ‘ambient’ pedal. Let’s not forget the Halo setting on the Polara. I’m not a Tom Cramm or Robin Guthrie but I chased these things for a good minute there. I found a Digitech Digiverb at a pawn shop, selected reverse, and fed it to a Rat for Leo’s sake. It was gloriously trashy, but also a volume dropper. I decided a Surfy Bear, Ventris and Polara are good enough at the end of all that tail chasing...:confused:o_O

PS: I just now noticed the Polara is discontinued, so I guess it’s not a deal so much anymore. Ok, what’s next?

9. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

The thing about Supernatural is that it has larger spaces and longer decay and it gets more wet than regular reverbs. While I don't have experience with the RV-7 I do have the Polara. My guess is that it's somewhere in the middle between the two others.

I like to use the Polaras reverse setting with drum machines. It creates awesome rhythmic breathing sort of sound.

10. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

I believe the RV-7 became popular because it was a surprisingly good reverb for the money when it came out. Nowdays, I think the used prices exceeds the cost of them when they were brand new. Unless you can get one for a very good deal, I'd say there are better options out there.

11. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

I have a Supernatural 'verb (and apart from the RV7, I've got all the Hardwires on a board).

SN is a great pedal indeed. You can certainly have fun freaking out with it, with its ambient tones, up to 100% wet range, and long delay periods. But what makes it really great is how in addition to all that, if has really good basic spring and plate settings too, for what you really need most of the time.

bluesholyman and trxx like this.
  12. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

If prices are reasonable (probably not) I'd say get both.
    As they're all discontinued (RV7, SN, Polara) I think they will become even more collectible than they already are.
    On top of that, you'll like it so much you'll be looking for a backup.

I have the RV7 by the way. Its stereo room reverb is essential in my headphones setup.
    I like the hall, plate and spring a lot as well. I have no use for the reverse, gated or modulated modes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Stillhouse likes this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

The Supernatural's spring is really good, especially for a pedal. It can be on the warmer side or nearly as bright as an old Fender amp's reverb. It doesn't have quite the spring detail as Fender spring reverb, but it isn't far behind either. I don't use the other algos, so no comment there.

bluesholyman likes this.
  14. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Never tried the Supernatural, but I bought a RV7 when it came on the market, and since then it's been on my pedal board. It's on "Hall" with rather light settings and I've never touched them since. A lot of effect pedals have come and gone (usually for good reasons) and I never understood why Digitech didn't keep the Hardwire series on their offering list (especially the RV7!...).

Stillhouse and RetroTeleRod like this.
  15. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I love my RV-7! I also have their DL-8 Delay. It’s a winner too!

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've had a Polara since 2017 and have pretty much never stopped using it, I've bought 2-3 other Reverb pedals and none of them have knocked the Polara off.

I would say the Polara can be pretty bright.. if the RV-7 is very similar but darker then if your overall rig is already bright than maybe you'd want to try the RV-7 as well?

But I don't understand why you'd try the RV-7 and Supernatural and not try the Polara as well.

The liveliness knob on these pedals really works well. One of the reasons I've kept mine is just how well the ranges on the knobs were tuned by digitech.. the pedal can be bright or dark (some algorithms more dark) and has a perfectly accessible range from subtle to extreme reverb and from dark to bright and short to long decay. Pretty much every other pedal I had tried might do one of the algorithms slightly better but never had the same overall balance on all the controls.. typically they'd be too bright and not be able to adjust darker, or the pedal would go from "nothing" to "drenched" in like 1mm of knob movement so it was hard to control.

Halo & Reverse are the settings I use the least.. Spring & Plate I use the most, then maybe modulated/hall/room a bit less and Halo and Reverse once in a great while.

Looking at the silly current Reverb prices makes me think I should find a Boss Reverb or something and hold the Polara for profit... I don't think I have any of the paperwork or box anymore though. Maybe I have the printed manual.

Stillhouse and BorderRadio like this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have had a Polara in the past, as well as the obscura delay - both great pedals. I don't remember why I sold both but they were replaced with something else. I generally have not liked reverbs, usually because of the bright artifacts in the tails. The Polara is a great pedal, so is the RV-7.

After getting a chance to play with both, I have opted to keep the Supernatural. Most of it is because I like the sound of it (warmer/darker than traditional reverb) and can dial in just a little or a ridiculous amount if I like. Additionally, the SN is harder to come by these days, at a decent price and if I want a brighter reverb, there is no lack of pedals available, including used Polara's which would serve me just as well as the RV-7.

I managed to score the SN for $99 - I got lucky. Ultimately a no brainer at the end of the day.

5D5A265F-BFDF-4FF8-A871-353D169BC6C2.jpeg

BorderRadio and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah $99 is a great price.

I thought I paid more like $150 for my Polara when I got it. Looks like they are going for close to $175 used now and even $200+ brand new.

I don't really feel like I'd actually have trouble replacing my Polara with something else if it broke. Stuff I have tried didn't "beat" it, but there's a lot of stuff I haven't tried. Pretty sure something from SA would be fine, or Boss. And I kind of imagine I could replace both my Polara + DMM with a Boss RE-20 and be happy with that setup too.

19. BorderRadio

Oh nice price! I'd pick the same. That's what I paid new for my second Polara. Got rid of it then bought it back for reasons I rather forget.

bluesholyman likes this.
  20. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I should have bought the DL 8 at the time too !

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.