Digitech SDRUM :: New Self-Isolation Toy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telel6s, Mar 28, 2020.

1. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

To pass the time here at home, I picked up a Digitech SDRUM w/3-button footswitch. I had actually started looking at these last summer but since I had other people to play with I never pulled the trigger. Oh how times change. I was waffling between the SDRUM and the original one-button Trio (I wanted to keep things under $100). Without being able to demo either one, I just thought the SDRUM would be a better match for me.

Getting the initial pattern will take some practice for me. There are lots of comments in reviews that having the SDRUM 'listen' to your guitar correctly is a problem. I didn't really feel that was an issue with my acoustic guitar. It took a few tries the first time, but I'm pretty sure when I start plugging other guitars into it I'll be able to calibrate things without much fuss. Where I'll need to get experience is how to make the pattern. You can't just play the song on guitar as normal. You need to think in terms of the drums. As a complete non-drummer, that will take getting used to. Of course you can also used the two pad buttons on the SDRUM to tap in the rhythm.

But, once a pattern was there it was pretty straightforward to change up the kit, style, feel, tempo, embellishments, etc. And using the extra 3-button foot switch it was easy to switch things around - a foot tap or two and you can have different feel for each line of a verse before switching to the chorus &/or bridge. That was a nice discovery that I hadn't picked up on from any of the videos I had watched. So while the SDRUM will only set up three parts - Verse, Chorus, Bridge - you can switch things up for each part having something like a quiet first verse with loud rockin' 2nd and 3rd verses. That should be nice whether used live or for simple recordings.

One other thought I had about this that I hadn't seen mentioned elsewhere - I bet with an understanding drummer you could use this along with a live drum set. Something like setting the SDRUM for the percussion or e-pop kits to fill in around the drummer using a standard kit. Obviously, that would work with any drum machine or pedal and I'm certain it's not a novel idea, but I hadn't read or heard about using it that way when browsing around the internet.

Of course now I need to learn to play all my songs in correct time. :lol:

And here's a quick video I did fifteen minutes after powering on the SDRUM. Gear used is a Gibson acoustic guitar into a '72 Fender Super Reverb in a 1x12 custom cab, and a cheapcheapcheap mic that came with a small powered PA speaker going into the non-reverb channel. High tech stuff, I tell ya ;). Once my toes know which button to push I think this will get much smoother.

Please ignore the dirt on my running shoes.

2. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning TDPRI Member

Ooooo that's a nice start to a whole lot of projects.

Sounds just like busking - where's yer virtual hat?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.