DigiTech SDRUM Auto-Drummer Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FenderGuy53, Mar 7, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to add a simple drum kit to my looper pedal to make my practice and musical discovery time more fun.

I have watched several demos and the DigiTech SDRUM pedal has piqued my interest. It sounds good, it has a good feature set, it appears to be very easy to use, and, it is selling for $99 at many online, retail websites!

Do any of you have, and use, the DigiTech SDRUM pedal? I'd love get your feedback.

Thanks, guys.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

You might also give the Trio Plus a look.

3. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have an SDRUM. I like it-- it's simple to use and sounds okay. It's not stupendous but it's an awful lot of fun, especially for practice.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  4. FenderGuy53

I already have a looper pedal, and the Trio+ is much more than I want or need, AND - 3x the price of the SDRUM!

Thanks for the input, El Tele Lobo.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. FenderGuy53

fidopunk, "simple", "sounds okay" and "fun" works for me!

I have a few rhythm track CDs, but I find that system too restrictive; I want to be able to create the rhythm style myself, in the key that I want.

Thanks for the feedback, fidopunk!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

The SDRUM is handy in that it lets you quickly rough in your beats, and it takes it from there to calculate verse and chorus sections. The build quality is good, and the operation makes good enough sense. My big problem with it, though, is that the kick drum is often too hard and driving for my style. Although there are 4-5 different kits available, they don't provide enough overall stylistic flexibility. I'm saving up for the Beatbuddy, which relies on pre-programmed patterns but ultimately seems to put more usable variety on tap.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I don't have the SDRUM, but which looper do you have now? Will you be able to synchronize the SDRUM with your current looper?

8. FenderGuy53

My preferred music style is simple, and blues-influenced, so I would hope that I could find a few useful kits onboard; that said, it does beg the question, so thanks for raising that flag for me, FerruleCat.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. FenderGuy53

Believe it or not, I'm using a Valeton Coral Looper! Adding/Deleting/Overdubbing loops is all done by the footswitch, so once you learn the technique, you're good to go!

Again, my needs are basic; that said, I love my looper.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I have a TRIO, the original model. I upgraded the firmware and it is great fun. Its not really suited for live performance, but its great for composing and also recording.
    it takes a while to figure out how to get drum sound you want, but the sounds are high quality.

its drum and bass so you get to put 2 musicians out of work with one pedal....

rickthescot likes this.
  11. Junkyard Dog

So do you plan to record the SDRUM with the looper (for the necessary number of bars) and then turn the SDRUM off for subsequent times through the loop? That could be difficult to get the start/stop of the loop just right without any quantization from the looper and/or synchronization between the two. Not trying to be discouraging, just trying to point out what may pose a problem.

12. FenderGuy53

No. I currently run the looper to my Acoustic Master AM150; I plan to run the SDRUM through my Roland Blues Cubes Hot, on the Acoustic setting. I'll set the drum beat first, then layer in the verse, chorus, etc. on the looper.

13. Junkyard Dog

Hmm...sounds like you will run into problems with the looper getting ahead/behind the beat of the SDRUM after a few layers on the looper. Do you have a simple drum machine (or even one on the web like this https://www.onemotion.com/drum-machine/) you could try your technique out with? Just to see if it will work before spending $100.

14. FenderGuy53

I had a Mooer Micro Drummer pedal, albeit briefly. It was a fun little pedal - just twist the dial to choose your genre, then tap in the tempo and off you go.

Unfortunately, it bit the dust...

The DigiTech SDRUM is about the same money, and has a bigger upside, IMHO.

15. FenderGuy53

Heretofore, I ran this process using my looper into the AM150, and the Mooer Micro Drummer into my Roland BCH.

No issues, whatsoever. Remember, I'm not laying down lots of layers - usually one verse, one chorus, in a continuous loop.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

Whatever you decide on, please post your results here so we can check it out. I’m particularly interested in your looper. I want to upgrade mine eventually and I’m not that familiar with that one. I tried the trio plus myself, and while I found it a little advanced for me in some ways (and a little limited in others), a lot of people really like it and even use it on gigs...so I’ve presumed the deficiency is mine more than the device’s. I’m still looking for a simple set up that will allow me to loop and create beats without too much hassle. Maybe I’m too old a dog to learn new tricks.…

17. Junkyard Dog

Roger that. From OP it sounded like you were trying something new. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Mooer Drummer pedal.

18. FenderGuy53

Nah. You're never too old, and you never stop learning, El Tele Lobo.

I'm in the "keep it simple" camp, too; that's why the Valeton Coral Looper and DigiTech SDRUM make alot of sense to me.

In the interim, YouTube has some worthy demos for the Valeton Coral Looper. Check it out.

19. El Tele Lobo

I will do that. Thank you for the encouragement! Hope you find what you're looking for in the SDRUM (or whatever you settle upon).

20. FenderGuy53

Well, technically speaking, I HAVE had prior experience with loopers and drum pedals, albeit briefly.

I can say, with some confidence, that my Valeton Coral Looper is a keeper. It does what it's supposed to do, with relative ease.

The Mooer Micro Drummer is a useful tool; however, while you can alter drum speed, you are limited to the preset drum patterns.

The DigiTech SDRUM seems to be more intuitive to use, with unlimited drum patterns and speed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.