Digitech Luxe ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Craig, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Craig

Craig TDPRI Member

Anybody have any thoughts ? Im on the fence ...does it require special power ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I think I prefer the Boss PS-3, which does a double detuned effect (function 8), i.e. one detuned down slightly, the other detuned up. Sound is slightly richer than what I'm hearing in the Digitech demo but there's not much in it. Perhaps some of the other Boss PS series pedals can do the same thing but PS-3 is the only one I'm familiar with.

3. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I have it and I absolutely love it. It comes with a power supply, but it can use any standard 9v adapter, I find that it's a very versatile pedal, and my favorite use for it is nailing zappas clean tone (watermelon on Easter hay, Lucile has messed my mind up, stucco homes) which when the tone is turned down a bit is the exact tone of big log by Robert plant. It does a ton more, but that my personal fave setting. Also add some mild distortion and you can get a great lifeson tone circa permanent waves

4. Craig

Craig TDPRI Member

says it needs 300ma...can i get that from my voodoo labs pedal power ?

5. bricksnbeatles

My one spot puts out 800ma I believe, and that's just a daisy chained wall wart, you should be more than fine

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Pedal power what? 2? 2+?

On 2 plus you'll need to use tap 4 (100ma) and tap 5 (250ma) and get the current doubler cable and jumper those 2 for a 350ma feed for that pedal.

Oh and just as a thought, just because a pedal ships with 300ma supply doesn't mean it actually draws all that current. Big companies like Digitech will use one power supply for all pedals that come in under that supplies rating, pedal itself may only actually draw 200ma.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Ok stinkfoot shows 250ma as actual current draw of that pedal.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/863

So 300ma supply is needed. Many digital pedal on startup peak above their nominal current draw. You should also always use a supply that has about 10-20% extra headroom than what pedal requires, so jumping 2 outputs on PP to 350ma would be required on that power supply.

8. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Same than the Digi Drop : 9V DC / 250mA

I almost bought a Luxe but luckily I waited and took the Keeley 30ms ! I don't regret at all.

9. Craig

Craig TDPRI Member

Oh now you did it ! ...that keeley is cool ...i think that is more what i was looking for

10. Craig

Craig TDPRI Member

Well just pulled the trigger on the keeley ...thanks nic'o' caster...pricier but i think a much more versatile

11. nic'o'caster

Yeah the Luxe was cool because it came first, but the 30ms is more versatile with its 3 modes and is more pedalboard friendly !

12. bricksnbeatles

I don't own a 30ms, but I've played through one a few times, the luxe is a totally different beast. I do plan on getting a 30ms. The 30ms reminds me of the old eventide units that lifeson and Zappa used.

13. nic'o'caster

totally different beasts ? For me the Luxe is a two-knob 30ms (detune, level of effect) stuck in dimension mode.

The advantages of the Luxe ? detuning up or down (useless feature by the way) and extreme detuning (it can go where it sounds bad...). Cool graphics, simple operation, good sound.

I won't list all the advantages of the Keeley since this little marvel offers so many possibilities within its 3 totally different modes. I bought the 30ms because I couldn't find any used old Boss Dimension but I fell in love for the Abbey mode which sounds so cool with electric or acoustic guitar !

14. bricksnbeatles

Im just saying… they both seem to be worth getting, I personally didn't find the Luxe to sound at all like the dimension mode... I do plan on getting a 30ms tho bc I'm a total Beatles nut, and playing the solo to you never give me your money thru the abbey mode was pure Beatles bliss. I found them different enough that they'd be wiry having both on the same board imo

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I got Digitech iStomp back when MF were closing them out for $40 a couple years ago, loaded this patch on it, hasnt been off pedal since. Very cool dual voice in true stereo.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.