Digitech JamMan Solo or Boss RC3?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by rob2, Apr 29, 2011.

1. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Weirdly I find I may need a looper for a new project.....years ago I had an early Arion digital delay which had a crude looper built in...awful yoke....put me off the idea until now....which of the above have people experience of they might share?Thanks!

2. Easyrom

Easyrom TDPRI Member

Excellent question. I'm gonna follow this thread! (Had good experience with Boss RC-2, so I would go for the RC-3... except if there's very good reasons to pick the Jamman!)

3. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Both are good. I chose the JMS for the memory chip thing but IMO, 4GB of extra memory is way more than I need. I use it mostly to improve my tempo and to have fun with improv. Also, I built a footswitch (for $9) to do hands free loop changes, which you cant do with just the JMS alone.

[​IMG]

I forgot to add, the JMS has a 9v power supply that is needed to power up the device. I tried running the JMS on my pedal board with a G-Bus power supply and a modded wah, and I would get a high pitch hiss sound in the background, not loud but noticeable. The only solution to eliminiate the background noise was to use the provided wall wart power supply with the JMS. That's the only way I could run other effects and the JMS noise free. YMMV

4. looney77

looney77 Tele-Afflicted

I know that alot of folks have been waiting on the RC3, haven't heard anything about it though. I'm curious myself. I know the drum sounds are supposed to be much better and more memory than the RC2.

5. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

I am actually waiting on the new RC-3 it should be out ANY day now. It has 99 memory slots and 3 hours of record time, all without having to put it on a disk. It has real drum beats and it looks like they set it up to be a LOT easier to navigate.

6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

OK...firstly I thought the Boss was already out there,it will give me more time to think if its not yet released!.....secondly,I had assumed you could scroll through presets with the footswitch on either....so the Jam Man needs to be manually set?...and though cheaper initially on this side of the pond may need a card as well.....thanks for the replies,all giving me something to think about!

7. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I don't have either one of those, but I do have a Boss RC-20 and a Line6 JM4. I like the memory card option myself. It enables me to transfer audio between the looper and a computer. I often use it like a multitrack recorder. I transfer each successive layer of a loop to the computer, then I can mix down, add effects, etc. Also keep in mind that some have an XLR input and mic preamplifier which may be useful to you...or not.

8. DOGMA Dunn

Yes, the 2 triangles (that point up and down) switch through the different loops, you can use the same loop and overdub and erase and overdub and overdub over and over again by using the foot switch when playing. There is a guy on the you tube Calder I think his name is, he is doing just that, using the foot switch to lay tracks and record while playing.

The red button footswitch I made works like the optional FS3X footswitch. It allows me to scroll up and down through the loops via my foot while playing. that way I can play different loops for one song. Without the FS3x I would have to stop, bend down and press one of the little triangle buttons to change the loop.

I would wait and try out the RC-3 to see how you like that one. It should have some improvements over the RC-2.

9. Littleleroy

Littleleroy TDPRI Member

Anyone tried the RC-3 or RC-30 yet?

10. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

I cant find anywhere that has it in stock to buy yet or I would have the RC3

11. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Ok seems to be a leaning towards the RC3...no doubt as soon as I make my mind up Digitech will come out with an updated Jam Man!...from looking online I think these are close to available in Europe,assume they'll be hitting the States before us....

12. DOGMA Dunn

The Digitec came out with a bunch of new loopers in Sep-Oct of last year in the USA. I don't think they will be comming out with any new ones for a while. They did come out with a vocal-siniger effect or looper thing just recently. I could be wrong.

13. crankit

crankit TDPRI Member

I have been waiting for the RC3 for a few months now. Not sure if any have shipped, reviews seem to be promotional rather than user? Unless I haven't gone to the right sites.

It worries me, given that retailers have been expecting shipments for a few weeks now and back orders are growing.
    I think Boss know how to market and distribute their pedals, I hope the RC3 is not problematic? I am waiting to hear what people have to say about them before I buy?

I can loop on the computer, but I find it more enjoyable playing guitar through my amps with out the computer getting in the way. The looper will be good to develop improvising skills over chord progressions.

14. Sandwedg

Sandwedg Tele-Meister

I noticed on the GC website today that RC-3 was shown as "In-Stock" now.

Anyone? Anyone? :D

15. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Just picked mine up from GC, they got them off the truck today.
    Review incoming soon...

16. DOGMA Dunn

Awsome, I have two question; does it come with the ability to switch tracks hands free without an optional foot switch? and is it easy to operate?

Looking forward to the review.

17. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

It's doubtful that you can switch tracks without the external footswitch(es). I own a RC-2 and realize the RC-3 is much improved, but it's still a one-pedal looper.

Here's how it works with an RC-2:

Plug in one FS-5U to be able to one-click stop the loop and also set tap tempo. Plug in a second FS-5U (or the double-version thereof) to be able to change loops hands-free.

Even then, you have to have previously saved the loops in order to switch between them. You can't do it "on the fly".

Of course, the RC-3 might handle loop changing differently but I'd be very surprised if so. It appears the primary changes are USB connectivity and more memory.

18. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I downloaded the .pdf RC-3 manual from the Boss website. It'll answer a lot of your questions. It clearly states you'll need an FS-5U footswitch to scroll through loops. Annoying, but I still want one! Looking forward to some real, quality, user reviews!

19. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

I have only played around with the RC-3 for a few hours, but I am finding it pretty easy to use. The overdubbing works well, although it doesn't have the input/instrument volume control like an rc-20xl (which i once rented), but does have a separate output level for the drums and an additional for your loops.

I have to get used to buttons that perform different tasks relative to other settings, how long they are held down, double clicking vs. Single or holding down..but that will hopefully come in time.

I think it will work well for my purposes, mostly improvisation practice and as a nice sketchpad for capturing quick and dirty riffs and ideas,etc.

Was debating at one point on the Rc-30 instead, but after really thinking about how i will really use a looper, the 3 seemed like a better choice ( for me).

Now, need to find out how to use it to recreate Loop-Junky type loops (i really wish i could rationalize buying one, but alas, no success...)

Haven't tried the usb interfacing feature yet...

20. DOGMA Dunn

Thanks for the update.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.