DigiTech iStomp Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Jan 16, 2014.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I thought I'd start an owner's club for the DigiTech iStomp, a versatile iOS-pedal I picked up, for a couple of reasons. First, it offers about 46 free downloadable effects, so there's a lot of potential for questions/discussions about what's good and what's not so good. Second, until recently, the iStomp was overpriced at $150 or more, but has recently been clearanced by a number of outfits, including Musician's Friend and Sweetwater for $50 or less. At that price, I consider it an intriguing value.

[​IMG]

Some resources for iStomp users:

Link to the StompShop website, where you can view ePedals:
    http://www.digitech.com/en-US/softwares/stomp-shop-ios-43

Order form for (free) additional sticker labels for various ePedals (they send them quickly by mail!):
    http://www.digitech.com/epedal_labels/new/ce-chorus?locale=en-US

Anybody pick one of these up?

2. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I bought 3. Mainly for the occasional effect I need extra.

3. Stigroadie

Stigroadie TDPRI Member

Can you really use only the supplied psu?

4. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

It is a standard 9volts supply. Your can use a 1spot or pedalboard power.

5. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I actually bought two of these and then, in my flighty GAS induced nature, was smitten by the new BOSS ME-80. I'm looking for a good all in one, simple multi effects, but the whole bank based modeling format gives me a headache. Line 6 ruined it for me I guess. So anyway I sold the two istomps straight away and ended up getting a Fender Mustang Floor. The cool thing about the Floor is that it has an effect insert that can be controlled on the board. So add your favorite OD pedal and mix it w all of the mustang effects. Pretty cool option. So I'm thinking of getting a Soul Food or a Boss SD-1. But then I thought, why not just get an istomp for $40 and have all of those at hand? I hate GAS. But my question is, and excuse my relative effects ignorance but, do the OD and distortion effects on the istomp compare well to what I would get out of a SD-1 or the soul food?

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I hear you on the GAS. What really makes it tempting is the fact that you can buy pedals and flip them back without much degradation in value (unless you buy mass-produced stuff that nobody really wants). But, of course, if you keep chasing the "next pedal", you do lose money on trade-ins, shipping, or when eBay takes a cut.

That's part of what appealed to me about the iStomp. If I literally just want to try something new, I'm always going have an option to play with.

Your question was about the relatively quality of the iStomp (or other digital effects modelers) as opposed to the stand-alone analog pedals. You'll find endless debate on this topic, and most traditionalists will find some rationale for why analog pedals sound better than digital. But by and large, any difference between analog and digital is completely superseded by the subjectiveness of "tone", as evaluated from person to person. In other words, there isn't anything inherently different in comparing an analog to digital effect that wouldn't also apply in comparing two analog effects, such as the SD-1 and TS-9.

The iStomp effects, overall, are excellent. I wish that it were a little easier to change them because there is more than one that I would like to use regularly. (The one currently uploaded for me is the tone boost - which combines signal boost and frequency specific boost...it's cool with a tube amp!) The overdrive/distortion effects are different than an SD-1 or Soul Food, but are good representations of what they are supposed to be. There are several DigiTech branded distortions, and they have a decent Tubescreamer.

The Soul Food, however, is a supposed Klon imitator, so there isn't any specific overdrive that does that in the iStomp library. That being said, I bet you could use something like the Glitter (Sparkle) Drive and get pretty close.

7. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and bought an sd-1. For $38 what the heck. I may still get an istomp though. For $40, it is a great tool to have at hand.

8. Stigroadie

Stigroadie TDPRI Member

I got one, now the price is low and the library almost totally free its a bargain. Even in £s.
    For the covers player they are ideal you can load up an exotic pedal for just one song without having to take up room on your board or the expense of buying new pedals every time the set changes.
    The models sound fine, they capture the character of the pedals they clone.
    Just for the versatility they add to your pedal collection they are worth the investment.

9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

That's the perfect attitude to have about it, especially after it was offered for $40 or $50.

If I'm buying a $150 boutique pedal (or iStomp), I'm going to want to know if it sounds exactly like the effect or amp it's trying to impersonate, and I will expect it to get darn close.

If I'm buying a $40 iStomp that can offer some recollection of a DOD 250, Tube Screamer, Glimmer Drive, CE-2, Dyna Comp, or dozens of other pedals, there's value to be had even if it gets you "in the ballpark". In my opinion, however, most of the effects are good enough to be compared to standalone analog pedals.

10. burak

burak Tele-Meister

I got myself one from the last MF deal.
    I love the delays, chorus etc..
    I don't use it for drives, I stay in the analog domain for those things.

11. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

I'm in. My son got an electric viola for his 10th birthday. Suggested one of these to family/ friends to go with it and he got one.

12. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

I got one. I think it's very good. I love the compressors, and the Red Line and Rat od's.
    Great pedal.

13. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

Free downloads - and how's the "unplugged" sound?

Hi guys that have one of these, I'm just about to make my first live (well public, I don't really count the kids) performance at a charity gig in a few months and was thinking of picking up an acoustic simulator pedal so I didn't have to mess about with multiple guitars onstage - I'll be scared enough of messing up without dropping my new tele mid-change!

I read some great things about Mooer pedals, they're cheap (£50 here in the UK) and the acoustikar gets some great reviews. Then I came across the iStomp. I guess they're no longer in production and are being sold off - you can pick them up for less than £50 compared to their list price of £150, and it seems like all the digital downloads in the "Stomp Shop" App Store are now free - so what's the catch? It seems like a no brainer - if the acoustic iStomp is any good that is... Has someone tried it out please? Also are the reviews on Amazon correct - can you get 40+ (I assume that's pretty much all of them) for free???

If so I'll be heading out today to pick one up - even if the the acoustic is the only one I use (I have a Blackstar ID:30 amp - don't need delay, reverb, phaser, flanger, chorus or tremolo pedals*) but the addition of a compressor would be good if the charity show leads to any more opportunities...

Your thoughts very much appreciated guys

* Come to think of it you can only run the phaser, flanger, chorus or tremolo one at once, a pedal where I could combine the chorus and tremolo with reverb would sound pretty good...

14. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

Just try again to bump this to the top. Thanks for checking it out again.

15. mjsever

mjsever TDPRI Member

I had one, and liked it so much I bought two more. For the price I figured what the heck but was surprised at the quality of many of the effects.

I did an A/B of the "Rodent"with a friend's Rat and I am not kidding you we could not tell the difference when we matched the knobs. I also A/B'd the istomp spring reverb with my Ampeg Reverberocket's reverb and it was surprisingly authentic, more so than my Hall of Fame. I was looking for a light grit sound, and sold my Soul Food because I liked the "Glimmer Drive" (sparkle drive emulation) so much. The delays even have tap tempo if you hold the button down, but I need external tap so I don't use it. Then I use it for a boost and for another distortion which stacks really well with the glimmer drive.

It does have its limitations though. I tried to nail Gilmour's "Dogs" phaser tone and couldn't quite get it so I had to buy a phaser. That is not to say that the phasers they had weren't good, just that they weren't his phaser. I later found a different phaser that I hadn't yet tried, but haven't went back to see if it was the glimour sound because now I don't want to feel like I wasted the money...

At $40 you owe it to yourself to try it if you have an older iphone (I have a 4) or itouch with the older wider connection. I cannot say how it works with the newer smaller connection and an adaptor.

16. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I have a couple iStomp pedals. I think they're great for filling in for that "missing" pedal. I've been using them lately for an ambient setup.

They do work with the 30-pin to Lightning adapter, as I am using them with my iPhone 6.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.