1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Digital Camera Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BritishBluesBoy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Hey guys,
    I just bought a new point and shoot digital camera that I thought some of you might like to hear about. As many of you know I am a professional photographer and use very expensive high end digital cameras for work, but for a little fun I thought I'd try out the new Canon G10. I have to say I am REALLY impressed with this little camera. The quality of the images this thing produces is just gorgeous. Anyone thinking about getting a new digital camera that is really not far off DSLR quality but in a much smaller package I reckon you'd have trouble finding anything better...

* 14.7 Megapixel CCD sensor
    * 5x wide-angle (28mm) optical zoom lens with optical Image Stabilizer
    * RAW image recording plus support for Canon Digital Photo Professional
    * DIGIC 4 for clear, sharp images, high-speed AF (including Servo AF) and fast response times
    * Targets all the main causes of blur with High ISO Auto, optical
    Image Stabilizer, Motion Detection Technology and Auto ISO shift
    * Great people shots with improved Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB plus
    Face Select & Track and FaceSelf-Timer
    * 3.0” PureColor LCD II (461k dots resolution) with wide viewing angle and optical viewfinder
    * i-Contrast boosts brightness and retains detail in dark areas
    * Dedicated Exposure Compensation and ISO dials
    * 26 shooting modes with manual control and custom settings
    * Accessories include tele-converter, Speedlite flashes and waterproof case
    * Smooth, 30fps VGA movies

[​IMG]

No Affiliation (obviously)

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

my wife and i were just talking about getting a DSLR tonight.

we were at my daughters school band concert and wishing we could dial in and take some intimate looking shots from the balcony. is that a realistic expectation ? what sort of camera would i need ? would this canon do the trick ?

3. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

lady bender-freak and i FINally pulled the trigger early this morning on a camera...we got the Canon PowerShot A590....so far, have not found anything not to like, but i am no camera expert by any means...we bought it at Wally World here in Springfield, Mo for $149 plus tax and all software was included....for a comparable camera with the same features at the "recommended" video store here in town would have cost 3 times as much...the CanonPower Shot G3 we replaced because the display screen died would have cost $180 just to get the display screen repaired ....the A590 may not end up being the cat's meow, but i think for the price and features it'll be hard to beat.....lookin' forward to learning how to use it....

4. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

You're going to need zoom; optical zoom, and lots of it.

5. BritishBluesBoy

From the balcony? Nope. You'll need some pretty serious zoom or telephoto lenses on a decent DSLR for that...

This one is a point and shoot camera - albeit a very, very good one but it won't do what you are asking.

6. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

i have the g9. very nice. the g 10 is nicer, because it has a black button to shoot and a wider wideangle. wish i had waited a bit longer.....

7. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

G10 Review

Canon G10 review

Found this to be an interesting photography website.

jamie

8. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a Pentax K200D dslr but recently picked up a Panasonic Lumix LX3 compact. Similar to your G10, it's been a blast because I can carry it anywhere. The 24mm (equiv.) f2.0 Leica lens is super sharp and great in low light situations. 16:9 format. RAW. Plus HD video!

9. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

I love the G10. Great camera! Super functionality, and I love that retro look. Another really inexpensive, great little Canon is the A590. Manual modes, good optical zoom, and low noise on a camera that I've seen for $112 new. Many of my students have them, and these things can really do the job.

10. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

11. BritishBluesBoy

12. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

100% correct, but at that resolution, I expect you'll be able to crop/enlarge a lot more than you're used to before you start to see any serious image degradation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.