Digi tech Trio + comments

Dontelecaster

TDPRI Member
Searched the forum but havnt found much on the trio +. I was wondering if any members here have used or tried it. Thought about getting it fool around with chord progressions and jam with them. Was wondering what the pros and cons of this unit are. Watched some U Tube on it but would definitely like to here some info from the guys here. Don’t want to spend $400.00 if it’s not worth it.

dougbgt6

TDPRI Member
Don,

I've got one, you have to get used to it! You play the chords and it adds bass and drums in the style you've selected. Play it back and you have bass and drums, but the chords are gone! This is because you might not want ALL the chords ALL the time, but you have to do that to get the bass and drums right. THEN you add chords via the looper, then solo, and so on.

It's got 12 genres, blues, r&b rock, alt rock, metal, pop, E-po, hip-hop, country, folk, latin and jazz There's 12 styles which are the tempos 4/4, 3/4 etc no strange ones though, like 5/4, although, there may be a patch for it now?

I found recording quite tricky at first, keeping in rhythm with no bass or drums for, say, 12 bars. But I found a trick, I have an old looper pedal, play one bar on that then play it through the trio, perfect timing for as many bars as you want.

Another thing, the bass has 3 versions, active, simplified or VERY simple (one sustained note per bar) Start with VERY simple, then it's easier to join in with one bass note per bar. You can switch to either of the other two even once recorded, all 3 bass lines are in there.

The sound is excellent and you can plug in guitar pedals, however there's only one tone for the bass. But you have separate volume controls for loop, bass and drums so you could turn the bass down and add a bass on the looper with any tone you want.

You can break a song up into sections, verse, chorus, middle 8, up to 5 parts. You pausing between each and then joining them up to complete the song. It has a memory chip and songs can be backed up. How many songs you can store depends on the size of the memory chip. I read some people gig with it, you may need a bigger memory chip than the one it comes with if you want to go gigging!

It's a fun piece of kit, but a learning curve. I got the 2 instruction pages laminated and still refer to them. I find myself playing 12 bar and endlessly trying things out, don't like it? You can delete the last loop and try again. I waste hours!

Doug