1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Difficult" Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LifeisBeachy, Feb 26, 2017.

1. LifeisBeachy

LifeisBeachy TDPRI Member

I have been on the search for a new amp for months, I am trying to upgrade from a Mustang 1 amp, just tired of the sound.

Constraints that I have are:
    -Can do bedroom volume(built in attenuation or reasonable power), but push some air if wanted
    -2 channels are ideal
    -Has great cleans
    -Enough dirt for Led Zep or AC/DC levels(more than that is acceptable)
    -Under 1500 USD for the whole rig

I have no preference of tube over analog/ solid state, but I think if digital/modeling could be avoided that would be better. All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Look at Blackstar. They've got quite a few that should work for you

Dismalhead and since 1963 like this.
  3. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I had a Laney VC15 for a while - quite a compact package, great at bedroom volume, but plenty of power to spare. Nice cleans, and great classic rock tones in the drive channel - not exactly the Marshall sound, but great in its own right. A Peavey Classic might be a nice option too.

viccortes285 likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One thing about the Blackstars is that many of them (including the smaller ones) utilize clipping diodes for their distortion channels. I briefly had the H15R head, and AC/DC crunch tones just don't come out of those amps. The dirt channel goes straight into classic rock, and the clean channel stays clean. Incidentally, that lack of a good AC/DC-style crunch sound was exactly why I returned the one I had.

5. LifeisBeachy

I agree, I have tried many Blackstars and they have the same issue, distortion, not crunch. They also sound quite dark to my ears.

6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Could go with a Yamaha THR100 and the cab of your choice. You will have all the power that you could want yet still have a great low volume sound. You should be able to get the ranges that you are looking for and come out with plenty of money left over.

Regardless of what you read, I have yet to find a tube amp that could do it all. I have a room full of tube amps and one modelling amp (THR10) and there are some great tones available, but it is the little THR that has the greatest versatility. Actually, if you don't need greater than 10 watts, one of the THR10 units would get the job done and for cheap.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

8. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

For SS - Katana

For tube there are several options. Basex on what you mentioned for tones, a Marshall DSL40c would work. In my opinion they sound great and lower volumes since they rely on the preamp for their drive.

A Laney Lionheart would be great as well. Also the Ironheart 30. Laney is an overlooked maker.

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Funny, my HT-1R sounds more crunchy than distorted, but I think the design is rather different than the HT-5+.
    The THR10C gets such glowing reviews I would try one in an instant if I didn't already have the blackstar…

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Cliffyg62 likes this.
  10. LifeisBeachy

I would have bought a THR10 already if it had a speaker out, the THR100 seems interesting though.

I just saw couple demos of this and it looks AMAZING.

The demo I just heard from that link you posted was the best I've ever heard that amp, it was pretty great.

11. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

I have my eye on the Lionheart 20 combo right now myself. I owned the 5 watt a few years ago but foolishly sold it. They are fantastic amps, and overlooked on this side of the pond.

12. LifeisBeachy

I've noticed this. I'm not too far from Bloomfield Hills, do you know anyone that might carry them in your area?

13. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Honestly.... No I don't.

There is a small shop downriver in Lincoln Park that used to sell Laney, but only the Cub series. When i had my Lionheart 5 i actually scored it on Craigslist. I think this is why they are so overlooked, they just arent carried by any local shops.

I wouldn't have a problem ordering one, but only because i owned one in the past.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Orange Dual Terror + can of your choice. Two channels. 30/15/7.5 watts. Great MV.

Or the Orange Ricker 15 combo if you don't need a ton of volume.

15. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

May want to look at the thr100h or hd.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I got myself a Blackstar HT Studio 20 for Christmas. It does the crunch very well, better than the modern Marshalls IMO. If you've got a $1500 budget, get one, upgrade the speaker, and get yourself an attenuator. If you need gig volume, get the HT Club 40.

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The Mustang 1 doesn't that have an 8" speaker?
    If you need to move some air, you need more speakers.
    2x12's or 4x10's cabinet will totally change the sound.
    An 8" speak has its place, but it can only do so much.
    I think you need to hear it through a speaker cab.
    If you have a local music shop that you could take it with you and test drive as many options as they have.
    I play a 5F1 Champ that has a 6" speaker that I built myself.
    I ended up making a 4x10 cab with Weber Classic Alnico speakers. It's still a Champ but it can really blow the windows out of the house on 12.
    Good luck,

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Another great choice is the Mesa Mark V:25 - also has a power reduction, awesome amp; in head format

both are tremendous amps (for life) with world class tones

20. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

On GC's used site there is a Fargen Mini Plex for $999.00
    Though only rated at 12 watts, if paired with an efficient cab,you would still be able to push some moderate volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.