Different Nitro Guitar Finish Brands Compatibility

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ReneJaszi, May 6, 2021.

1. ReneJaszi

ReneJaszi TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone,

I currently researching how to finish my current partscaster project in nitro.
    Now I have easy access in my country to NitorLack and Dartfords products and I want a Royal Purple Metallic Nitro finish.
    As far as I know I should use white primer underneath that so not to alter the color itself too much.

The problem is I only have access to NitorLack white primer (or Clear Primer from Dartfords) and I can buy everything else from Dartfords. I am planning on using Aerosol cans, since I don't have any pro equipment around.

Just a sidenote: as I noticed on many metallic nitro finished Fender custom shop heavy relic teles they also seem to have a white primer under the color coat.

My question is, is it possible that the 2 different branded products might not go well together? Is there any detail I should look out for (like the chemical composition of the primer or something like that)?

Thank you for your answers in advance and please forgive my inexperience this is my first project.

Sincerely,
    René

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

The only way to find out is to buy the cans and test them on a test board to see if they're compatible.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Any paint that uses the same thinner should be compatible. But testing is worthwhile just to be sure of no blowups.

Leo & co listed Du Pont paint chips but used anything available. I've mixed different brand acrylic and nitro lacquer with no issue.

4. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I put Nitro over Metalflake Duplicolor which is acrylic lacquer, and over poly, I had no problems. If you have doubts you can use 2 thin coats of Shellac - like I part shellac and 4 or 5 parts denatured alcohol, for a barrier coat between the finishes. Sand with 220 between coats. In my experience, lacquers work with lacquers. Problems can occur when you use enamels in the process, it can get ugly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.