Different kind of amp question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gary in Boston, May 30, 2019.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hey there,

Nothing really to do with guitar amps but stereo amps because the TDPRI is hands down where most music "related" questions get answered.

For years I had a Sony receiver.

50 watts per channel, a good FM receiver and most importantly an A & B set of speaker outputs.

I, again for years could rum my stereo in the living room (speaker output A) and when the holidays came around we'd turn our porch into a bigger dining room and I'd run speaker outputs A&B so we'd have holiday music in the house plus the make shift dining room.

After many faithful years the Sony died.

Headed out to buy a replacement.

0f the stereo amps available oddly very few (affordable ones) have the two A&B speaker output.

Happily a $200 Sony had the two outputs so I bought it.

The first issue is there is really no printed instruction manual that comes with this amp.

You can order one for $ 16.00 from Sony.

I called and Emailed to complain but never got a call back.

The reason you need this $16.00 instruction manual is this amp has TONS of capabilities but is very complicated as to how to get there.

Nothing is really intuitive, everything is "soft switching" with each button doing multi things.

No tone controls, you get a small mic that you plug in and place in the center of your listening space and let it set the tones for you.

Etc Etc Etc

So my question to my Tele Fraternity Brothers is:

Does anybody out there know of a simple straight forward stereo amp / receiver with two set of speaker out puts?

Heck I'll by an older used one!

Thanks all as always.

Gary

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Lots of great, modern stereo receivers out there by really good manufacturers that meet your A/B speaker requirements. Best place to start is with Onkyo and Yamaha.

Onkyo TX-8020 $199
    Onkyo TX-8140 $399
    Yamaha R-S202 $129
    Yamaha R-N303 $269

Just some of the great, entry level, high-quality stereo receivers to choose from. Love our Onkyo, but would look hard at the Yamahas.

- Bob

Cysquatch likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

You are in a pretty heavily populated area... this answer is easy. THRIFT STORES!
    For $50 give or take a little you will find something that suits you perfectly.

I do a weekly round to all my favorite thrift stores even when I'm not looking for anything in particular. My music room is full of great finds...

4. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

How many source inputs do you need? That is, do you need a receiver or just an amplifier?

5. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I second the thrift shop suggestion. I picked up a mint condition top of the line Sony from the '90's for I think $25.

Orpingtons likes this.
  6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Man, a few years back, I was browsing at a thrift store/antique joint/flea market kind of place and spotted a Scott receiver that looked to be from the 80s or maybe 70s. It worked and was paired with a pair of AR speakers. The whole rig could have been had for $50. I walked away from it and on the way home, I kept thinking about it. I went to the ATM, got some cash and returned, and the rig was gone. Still regret it.

7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Recently got rid of my trusty Marantz 2230 via CL...had been toting around for decades which had not been used for at least a decade. Got a ton of low ballers...it still went cheap imo...but went to a young guitarist in a local band who appreciated the thing since it was made before he was born. And his plan was to get his wee ones in to vinyl.

8. Gary in Boston

Thanks to all replies. I only need the input of a CD player plus the receiver that is part of the amp

Simple really A & B speaker outputs r that can run together or separate

That's all

Gary

9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Beat me to it. I freaking love my TX-8140. And I got it for $210, to boot! Onkyo makes some really nice stuff nowadays.

tarheelbob likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Call or Email Crutchfield. They carry Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, and many others. If you tell them what you want, ie. two speaker outs and tone controls, they can guide you in the right direction. They offer free shipping, and excellent customer service. And if you don't listen to radio, you'll probably get better sound from an integrated amp instead of a receiver, and there won't be all the doo-dads to have to learn, It'll likely be old school, with easily understood controls, even without a manual. I really like the Marantz amps. Their entry level PM5005 sounds awesome. It's $500. If that's too high, then the Yamaha A-S301 at $350, is a great choice too. But, both pairs of speakers need to be 8 ohms. You won't be able to run two pairs of 4 ohm speakers at the same time.

11. Gary in Boston

AND THIS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IS WHY I ASK MANY SOUND RELATED QUESTIONS ON THE TDPRI CHAT SITE I'M NEVER DISAPPOINTED
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL ANSWERS!

GARY

12. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Man I got rid of my old Kenwood system that I bought in the 80's about ten years ago. I regret it every day.

13. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

That's the way to go!

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Kenwood was always my favorite of the Japanese brands, except for Luxman, but their stuff was a lot more expensive. My first really great stereo was a Kenwood KA7100 amp, Pioneer PL510 direct drive turntable with ADC XLM MKIII cartridge and Cerwin Vega 3 way speakers, model 312, with a 12" woofer, 6.5" midrange, and their famous dhorm tweeter, a horn loaded dome. They put out 104db at one watt! I now have a Kenwood KA89 that I got on Ebay for $60, and CV SL5M bookshelf speakers, an Integra receiver, and Wharfedale Diamond
    9.1 speakers.
    kenwood ka 7100 ablog.jpg pioneer_pl-510a_direct-drive_turntable.jpg hqdefault.jpg $_55.JPG CER1202_zoom.jpg WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-9.1-v2.jpg

15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I like my old Marantz 1060. My father has run his continuously since the 70s. I got mine used because I always liked his, although mine pops a bit and could use a recap. Before I had an amp, I'd plug my guitar into the mic input. It actually makes for a pretty good sounding clean guitar amp. If you can find a good one used for a couple hundred $$, you'll really enjoy it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.