Differences between fingerpick, flatpick and so on.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
So flatpicking is all up and down strokes which i can hear in bluegrass right ?

But I thought it was picking with a pick and the ring and middle finger, like in most country guitar styles. So how do you call finger picking with a thumb and index holding the pick and the other fingers doing the other notes?

@Toto'sDad and me are planning on world domination, but if i can't tell what it is called, i will look like an amateur.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When you get that banjo, and figure out how to play 8 notes per measure using your thumb and index and middle finger, while doing three note rolls, you'll understand why most banjo pickers are daft. It gets more complicated when you get to sixteen notes per measure.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
When you get that banjo, and figure out how to play 8 notes per measure using your thumb and index and middle finger, while doing three note rolls, you'll understand why most banjo pickers are daft. It gets more complicated when you get to sixteen notes per measure.

I will that you on it. And if i make it, you offer me a lobster. Not to eat, one with toto engraved in the back. It is a souvenir.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't do it, hybrid pick that is. I can flat pick when the need arises. It's not faster for me, but the attack is sharper. I can play a variety of finger styles from thumb strum to single note thumb picked solos, to two finger and three finger. I've been known to throw a fourth finger in at times, but not often. But I can't hybrid pick. Flat picking, I hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger and use my index finger to keep it from rotating. I play two finger with my thumb and index finger but three finger with my thumb and ring finger using my index finger when I need one more and only in the rarest case use my middle finger. Self taught is a lot like home schooled. There are things you never learn right, or at least never learn the way your formally schooled peers learn them. Now it's no big deal if a kid not headed to college never learns physics and calculus but it is a big deal for a musician to be limited the way I am. Lucky I chose a life in engineering where my middle finger is only needed for special occasions. And sorry, @Toto'sDad , I never picked up a banjo that I couldn't immediately put down.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I can't do it, hybrid pick that is. I can flat pick when the need arises. It's not faster for me, but the attack is sharper. I can play a variety of finger styles from thumb strum to single note thumb picked solos, to two finger and three finger. I've been known to throw a fourth finger in at times, but not often. But I can't hybrid pick. Flat picking, I hold the pick between my thumb and middle finger and use my index finger to keep it from rotating. I play two finger with my thumb and index finger but three finger with my thumb and ring finger using my index finger when I need one more and only in the rarest case use my middle finger. Self taught is a lot like home schooled. There are things you never learn right, or at least never learn the way your formally schooled peers learn them. Now it's no big deal if a kid not headed to college never learns physics and calculus but it is a big deal for a musician to be limited the way I am. Lucky I chose a life in engineering where my middle finger is only needed for special occasions. And sorry, @Toto'sDad , I never picked up a banjo that I couldn't immediately put down.

Quitting cigarettes, and booze was easier on me than giving up the banjo. I once played thirteen hours NONSTOP, think about it, I mean NONSTOP! Then, I saw Earl Scruggs play live when he was older than I am now. It shocked me so badly when I realized I would never live long enough to play like him, I came home and sold my banjo. I never picked one up again. Selling that banjo was probably the reason I've lived so long!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I don’t know... all I know is I play with a thumb pick and can’t play worth a hoot with a regular pick anymore

So I play with that and my fingers, have no clue what that is called..

Thumb picks RULE!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Flatpicking (or simply picking) is the technique of striking the strings of a guitar with a pick held between the thumb and one or two fingers. It can be contrasted to fingerstyle guitar, which is playing with individual fingers, with or without wearing fingerpicks.

If you can't trust Wikipedia what can you trust? Good luck to you both and try not to pick a less traveled corner for true domination.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
]
It took me a good 10 years to be able to hybrid pick and i am no jerry reed.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I hybrid/ Travis pick. Not sure I would bother playing if it was all flatpicking. The tonal texture of pulling sound from the strings is super important to my style.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I use a flatpick most of the time (but when playing rockabilly, my other fingers seem to kick in with some fingerstyle)

I also do any real fingerpicking with one of these Herco Thumbpick/flatpicks ( with bare fingers) perfect for going back and forth between flatpicking and fingerstyle in the same song- great comfy design
20190303_090644.jpg