Differences between Affinity and Bullet's pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by frettchen, Feb 21, 2020.

1. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

Hi,
    according to the Fender website the stock pickups for the Affinity Tele ar marketed as "Vintage-Style Single-Coil Tele", while Bullet Teles have the "Standard Single-Coil Tele" pickups.
    Are there any appreciable differences between the two, for those who have tried them?
    Which of the two (if any) allows to have a sound close to the classic Tele sound?
    Thanks!
    Andrea.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

My bullet tele and the old pack affinity have the exact same pickups...

They were definitely different from the chinese top loader, but I have not compared them to the Indonesion top load Affinity. They could be the same, but I just don't know...

By the way: welcome!

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm of the same opinion as nicod98. Welcome aboard too.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I cant answer the A/B comparison on the pickups , but what I can say is my chinese affinity's pickups are the only thing I left in my tele from the factory , I gutted the wee beasty and replaced all of the electronics with fender or CTS the chicklet with an orange drop but the pickups, neck, intonation and set up were perfect . this is the first and only fender guitar that I have not rebuilt entirely ( I dislike stock Fender pickups with a passion , noisy and they sound like crap to me IMHO) the affinity pickups rock!

teleaddicted likes this.
  5. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

Thanks for your answer! Today I'm gonna get my Tele!

6. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

This is what I found comparing the pickups in my Affinity tele and those in a Bullet Strat. I know, it's not a tele but I have a feeling the pickups will be similar. The Affinity had pickups with a single ceramic magnet - not bad sounding but alnicos do make a difference. The Strat had - as noted by some Bullet tele owners - very low readings for the pickups - say 4k or less. Looking at the pickups - I found, not one but two, ceramic magnets. So what they are doing to save costs is putting a very low wind on the pickups and trying to boost this with powerful magnets and I don't think it gives a good result. That said, the Bullet teles I've looked at in the shop seem to be built and finished to the "usual oriental standard" - ie very well and with a little work will play as well as anything. I would however recommend a pickup upgrade, which needn't be expensive; there are some very affordable oriental alnico pickups that sound pretty good - Wilkinsons or Artec spring to mind.

7. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

Check out Bootstrap pickups too. There's lots of info on them on this forum. I just found out about them, started a thread for advice and have decided to buy a set for my import Strat copy. They are handmade (or made in a guy's garage), in USA and are extremely affordable. Everyone says the customer service is un-paralleled. The only down side is the up to two week wait, but, that is good to me, because it's due to the popularity of these pickups, they can't keep up with the orders.

8. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

@Corvus thans for your explanation, does this make sense. I guess the general "playability" (neck, fretboard...) would be similar between the two? Or it doesn't?

9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They both have that classic tele sound to me and they are basically unbranded Asian pickups. What is actually used could vary from year to year or even month to month. I end up changing them out, not because they are bad, but because I prefer a hotter bridge pickup (less twang, more keef/kotzen) and strattier sounding neck pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.