Difference between Vintera and Road Worn

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Freaker, May 16, 2021.

1. Freaker

Freaker NEW MEMBER!

I played a Road Worn 50s at my local music store and was very suprised how good that thick u neck felt. But to be honest, I‘m not a huge fan of relics/aging in general. Is the difference between the Vintera series and the Road Worn only the relic or is there more to it? Sadly, they didnt have any Vinteras at stock.

2. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

Road Worn has the nitrocellulose finish. Vintera is the poly.
    I have the 50s Vintera and that neck is awesome and pickups are great too.

Doyle and Freaker like this.
  3. Freaker

Freaker NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for your answer! Does that apply to the neck too? I have only played Teles without the neck lacquer.. Does this make such a big difference?

4. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Yes, the RW has a nitro neck. It's a different feel from Poly.

Freaker likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The new road worn is marketed under the Vintera umbrella AFAIK. The difference is the finish. Regular Vintera = poly, RW Vintera = nitro.

Freaker and Fretting out like this.
  6. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

What is written above covers the key difference.

I would only add that to get a roadworn effect nitro has to be used, so this is why a "roadworn" Vintera whatever model costs more new than a standard Vintera model and presumably to also cover the labor to achieve that worn effect. E.g the Telecaster Deluxe Vintera versus Telecaster Deluxe Roadworn Vintera.

Freaker and Fendereedo like this.
  7. Ajs91

Ajs91 TDPRI Member

I bought a road worn Vintera Tele in lake placid blue a few months ago - I love the feel of the neck and have been super happy with it. I was never a relic'd person myself, but gosh it just felt and sounded so right to me. I was going to throw down for a Fender 75th anniversary Broadcaster or a last gen American Vintage Reissue before I went with the Vintera. I never got my hands on the Broadcaster to be fair as my local shop was sold out and didn't expect to get one in for a while at the time. Personally, I couldn't handle the amount of poly on the AVRI's neck - and the fit/finish/tone just wasn't all that different to my eyes and ears so I couldn't justify the added $s. That's interesting to me because if I am honest, I kind of think I error on the side of being more of a brand/gear snob than not (but not always obviously)... so, I chose a MIM tele over a much sought after and brand spanking new AVRI that has been in the coffers of my local shop's warehouse for several years now.

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.