Difference between the new Blues Junior IV and the previous incarnation??

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
The Blues Jr. is a decent pickup truck, not a sports car. The BJ was built to putz around in the living room with and it does that well.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The Blues Jr. is a decent pickup truck, not a sports car. The BJ was built to putz around in the living room with and it does that well.

And that is exactly what I use it for, which is why I prefer it over the Swart that I had. It's lower in wattage, smaller, and I can get some grind out of it at a lower volume. Fun little amp, and a steal at $600 in tweed.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got 2 of the first series 3 "limited edition" unlacquered tweeds. They make tiny changes and swap speakers every time they release "a new model" that just happens to be dearer than the last model. Considering most people run pedals with them it seems hardly worth upgrading. Just throw a different pedal in front for a change, an eq pedal would probably get you the same results.

GLee94

Tele-Meister
BJIIIs go in Erie/Buffalo area for ~$350. Trades are always an option, but I haven't seen a lot of BJIVs on the used market yet. At least not in my area of CL and FB marketplace..

JoeZeppy412

NEW MEMBER!
I don't doubt that yours and other of a certain time period were 3/4" ply. As of 2016, and maybe before, the only plywood is in the baffle. I sent Fender a message. They have not responded. False advertising.

I could easily make a plywood baffle, is it worth it tonally?

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi Joe!

Welcome to the forum!
I could easily make a plywood baffle, is it worth it tonally?
Actually, the baffle-board in the BJ is already made of plywood (y)

I think the discussion referred to an ad that stated that the "new" BJ IV would come in a plywood-cabinet - which is not the case :(
I own a BJ I in tweed since 1997 and I still like it!
However, when the IV-model came out I played one in a music-store and really liked the sound of it.
A couple of months later I found a used model around the bend and picked it up. Only when I got home I realized that the cab was still made of particle-board, and that it hardly sounded any different from my model I...
Good news - seems like I still like the sound of my old BJ ;)

cheers - 68.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I seem to recall that he became quite renowned for mods to the BJ?
Indeed, I had a number of BillM mods done on my '90's Greenboard Blues Jr. I put in a Celestion Greenback (also BillM's recommendation). It has a Heyboer transformer, as well. This on is a keeper.

RufusGartz

TDPRI Member
As far as I can tell after looking at my 240V export black tolex Fender Blues Junior IV, manufactured 2021, the changes to the circuit as used in a BJ IV Rev.A as compared to BJ III Rev.D:

- pcb is black with white writing
- C4 changed to 2.2uF from 22uF
- C8 changed to 0.022uF from 0.0022uF
- Fixed bias power supply components removed from power section
- Cathode bias added - C10 - 22 uF, C33 - 22 uF, R51 - 270 ohms, R52 - 270 ohms, R31 & R32 connected to ground
- Reverb input now taken from plate of V1-A before tone controls
- Resonance circuit added in NFB path

The baffle board is made from 10.5 mm plywood. Don't know wood type but is very lightweight & dents easily.

swampash

Tele-Meister
Yes, saw one last weekend on the floor and tried it. Already trying to justify selling old one and taking the loss. Agree with above, Smoother? a right word. Fuller? It just sounded better than my stock BJ III.

Andy B

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
As far as I can tell after looking at my 240V export black tolex Fender Blues Junior IV, manufactured 2021, the changes to the circuit as used in a BJ IV Rev.A as compared to BJ III Rev.D:

- pcb is black with white writing
- C4 changed to 2.2uF from 22uF
- C8 changed to 0.022uF from 0.0022uF
- Fixed bias power supply components removed from power section
- Cathode bias added - C10 - 22 uF, C33 - 22 uF, R51 - 270 ohms, R52 - 270 ohms, R31 & R32 connected to ground
- Reverb input now taken from plate of V1-A before tone controls
- Resonance circuit added in NFB path

The baffle board is made from 10.5 mm plywood. Don't know wood type but is very lightweight & dents easily.
Do you per chance Have a copy of the schematic you can share? So far I have not been able to obtain one for the IV jr.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Plenty of barroom guys gig with a BJ. I hear it here and I’ve heard it in person.

Believe it or not, my 1999 Blues Jr. is too powerful/loud and heavy ( even with Neo speaker, for years) for my gigs and my bad back. So I have smaller amps now for my smaller ( or at least quieter Winery/brewpub) gigs.

But for 17 years, it was fantastic playing R&R, Blues, Country Band Bar & Festival gigs- a really good sounding 'giant-killer', IMO
( still own, but now my 'big gig' amp)

Attachments

• 20200623_163716.jpg
    20200623_163716.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180822_120635.jpg
    20180822_120635.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 10

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
it's impossible to know what the difference is.
There should be youtube videos comparing the version(s) since this a very Popular amp but from HRD experience... In reality it should be 2-3 resistors and 1-2 capacitors they changed🤣

I really wanted the Blues JR myself but.. It has a major flaw (for me) and that is: No effects loop.
At this price range.. Im pretty sure the new small Marshalls DSL1 DSL5(cheaper) and the DSL20 are probably a better choice (for me at least)

ballynally2

Tele-Holic
For or against?
I shouldve made a more particular rather than a general point but the latter seemed funnier. Anyway, point being that both the PJ and the BJ had the power tubes biased hotter than standard which lead to various heat issues mainly at the actual valve sockets. Plus low value screen resistors close to the board. Those were as i recall some of the issues BillM tackled.
I dont actually know if version 4 changed in those respects. And if they still have those crappy input sockets.
Anyway, a lower bias seems a sensible thing to do with the 2 El84s.

I am a tad 'biased' concerning these amps but they are doing a pretty good job at that price level. But they do fail quite often for the stated reasons.
It does not take much effort to have some of the weak points strengthened io waiting until an issue arises..starting with the input, output valves bias and screen resistors and change the crappy big filter caps to F&Ts to be sure.
Instead of a 5 year amp you now have one that might actually be ok for 15 years if you play these amps on a semi loud level every weekend.
Total cost about 50 $ plus a tech.

Edit: after a bit of digging it seems the bias was NOT changed.

Quote:
  • Bias is still fixed with the factory resistors being 33k for R51 (unchanged) and 27k for R52 (increased from 22k). End quote.

Last edited: