1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Didn't see that coming....Laid off

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jazztele, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to hear that. You're a smart guy with a clear head so I predict you're gonna to do just fine. I hope it sorts itself out quickly and easily for you.

3. jaygerr

jaygerr Tele-Holic

:(

4. TeleBits

TeleBits Tele-Meister

Good luck , mate .. My friend is an Art teacher at a local Air Force elementary school .. She's preparing to take the fire fighters exam .. Storm clouds everywhere..

5. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

Tough break but hang in there.

Why is it always arts that get cut? Our society really undervalues art which is a pity. Its never been about making pretty pictures to hang on the fridge (or to match your couch) Art teaches critical thinking, the ability to approach problems from different and unexpected angles, that there is more than any one singular or absolute truth, that non-conformity and questioning of authority is ok and indeed valuable for our culture to evolve. It cultivates creativity in tomorrows generation which for the life of me and given the F*@ked state of our world, I can't understand why we as a society aren't encouraging.

Best of luck man, as a creative type I'm sure you'll find a solution to this prediciment soon..

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that JT. The arts always get cut first. How dumb is that?

Hoping that something breaks for you soon.

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Again, sorry to hear that man.

Only know you on this forum of course, but I'm of the opinion that it's their loss. Best of luck finding a new teaching gig. Some new group of kids will be lucky to have ya.

And have fun playing your guitar.

8. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Jazztele, I am really sorry to hear this. I've learned a lot from your posts so I can only imagine how good a teacher you must be in person. I am sure someone with your talent will be able to find something soon. Happy Birthday by the way! Good wishes sent from Montreal.

9. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear that. Are you in the city schools - or are there other schools in your system that have art teachers with more seniority (just curious how they plan on fulfilling the art requirement)?

I know nothing about the Illinois state budget - is one already passed (one that must include cutbacks on school funding)? Really hope they find the funding before the school year starts - and hope you get your job back - or maybe you'll find another job you like better. Either way, good luck.

10. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Well, you're asking and answering the question right there.

Ask yourself what is the definition of the "bottom line" in our society? Where do the arts figure into that? There you go.

11. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

I hear football coaching is a safer occupation - seems like we have our priorities pretty well screwed up. I think of Mr. Holland's Opus from time to time, when I hear something like this. Hang in there, unfunded mandates have a way of getting funded at the 11th hour.

12. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Sorry about the lay off. Even when you expect it, it doesn't help. I was laid off a couple of weeks before Christmas once. I've only lost my job twice and each time I came out better off. Things will work out. You're in my prayers.

13. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Damn Jeff, that just sucks. Even more confusing since you were the last art teacher and art is required to graduate. Perhaps a "Basic Logic" class could be added to the curriculum?
    I doubt it's much consolation right now, but I'm sure things will work out in the end. I like to think that they always do.
    Be thankful that unemployment will be an option for you. I'm in construction and have been underemployed for about 2 years now. Since I haven't given up altogether and still work when I can, no unemployment for me. I'd probably make more money if I just stayed home, but I'm trying to keep my foot in the door so to speak.
    You're not alone and much of the stigma of unemployment is gone these days.
    Play some music and relax and reevaluate. You could always take more gigs. I've been landing a lot of winery gigs around here lately and your solo jazz stuff blows me out of the water.
    Anyway, best of luck and keep us posted on the happenings.
    And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

14. soulpatch

soulpatch TDPRI Member

Sucks

This economy is a killer and while we take care of all the fat cat CEO's in the insurance and banking industry we screw the people that truly enrich others lives.
    My wife is a Spanish teacher and language and arts programs are getting WHACKED!
    This NCLB BS is ruinous to our kids....truly sad.
    It is impossible to have a well rounded society when people have no awareness of the arts.
    I hope you land on your feet. No wonder most teachers haulass within their first five years of teaching.
    We are getting whacked hard in the first responder job sector as well. Many cuts to our pay and benefits over the last couple of years.
    We ain't starvin' but we are struggling to to stay middle class.

15. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

Well that just sucks.

I hope they change their mind and get you back in there.

16. nickrom

nickrom Tele-Meister

Man! That is tough. If you are the last art teacher and its required to graduate, won't you be one of the first to be brought back on? I sure hope so.

re: Unemployment - I was laid off 06/15 and was able to file (in Colorado) on 7/1. So far, I have been able to do everything online. According to the website, my account was approved yesterday and a payment was made. (direct deposit) I am on terminal hold right now waiting to talk to a customer service rep to find out how long it takes to show up in my account. Having said all that - it looks like it takes CO about 4 weeks from filing to get payment. Hope its that or better in IL. My impression is that the Dept of Labor has the unemployment system figured out, people are sympathetic to your situation and will do what they can to help.

Also, I have called the companies like cellular, utilities, etc. Most have some sort of method of dealing with this for their customers - delayed payments, lower payments, etc. So, don't hesitate to contact your bill payees and let them know whats going on.

Good Luck!

17. HiggyDude

HiggyDude Tele-Holic

Best of luck fellow Tele Buddy...may the Tele Gods shine some good mojo your way!

18. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

19. GreeneFan

GreeneFan Tele-Meister

Yeah, what he said, +

HAPPY FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, go play some jazz, that should help.

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck there.

If this lasts and you already have teaching certification you might want to consider a second certification. My wife did that with ESL and so far it has been a ticket to full-time contracts because she banks on it and seniority.

I'll hope things turn around before the school year starts.

Hang in there and all the best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.