Didn't realize how much it costs to get a key replacement/reprogrammed.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jannodude, Sep 2, 2017.

1. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic

A few days ago as I was starting my car, the top part (transponder) broke off. I was still able to start it by keeping the transponder close to the ignition using tape. I went to the dealer and was quoted originally $317.46. I asked the salesman if there was any type of discounts! He was able to take $60 off.
    Bad: Having to pay $257.45!
    Good: My key lasted five years before finally calling it quits!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Yep that would be a dealer .....

The transponder is the expensive part as it contains codes only the dealer can access.

However you still have the transponder. You can buy key blanks for a few dollars any fit the transponder to the new blank. Then any key cutting service could have cut the blank to match the original.

Probably cost less than $20. Of course the dealer won't tell you this and happily rip you off.

nojazzhere and jannodude like this.
  3. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic

I thought about this! But I wanted to get it done and away with. I called a few locksmith service but they were booked out. I guess the convenience is what I paid for :(

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Ouch! They shot Jesse James for robbing people. :lol:
    [​IMG]

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Electronic key replacement cost is one of the reasons the auto executives will be some of the first against the wall when the revolution comes. (Which Vonnegut book is that from?)

nojazzhere and jannodude like this.
  6. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

wow ... i'm glad i don't have a car ...

that stinks !

radiocaster, Toto'sDad and jannodude like this.
  7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Damn. My car takes an e-key too. Funny how it went from $3 at a hardware store to $300 from the dealership.

nojazzhere, 41144 and jannodude like this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a Trace Key made for less than 5 Bucks to carry in my billfold . It will not start the car - but it will unlock the door if I lock the keys inside the car .

9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Really handy if your drummer accidentally locks himself in the back seat. :lol:

sean79, 41144, KokoTele and 11 others like this.
  10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I have a nissan. I bought a replacement key for $25 on amazon. Googled up how to program it, did the required "peter panda" dance and it worked. It's been fine ever since.

I also have a dodge that only came with one transponder. But the dodge "peter panda" dance requires 2 keys. And the dealer wants $300 to make me a second one.
    So I just made an extra door key for $3 instead.

xafinity, jannodude and don71 like this.
  11. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I went through that last year. I ended up buying key blanks on Amazon and transferring the guts into the new blank and getting the keys cut at a locksmiths. Two replacement keys ended up costing me about $20 total.

jannodude likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Went through this with my grandson's Ford Ranger....ordered transponder key blanks online. Took them to Walmart to cut....they gave a fuss about doing it. Ended up going to manager to force the issue. Big mistake....they messed up two blanks. (I believe intentionally) The vendor I originally bought from made it good by exchanging for two new blanks. Went to a reputable locksmith who was nice enough to cut them for me. I then performed the programming procedure I found on youtube. Both work fine......will never trust Walmart again. By the way, those of you who carry extra keys to open a locked door...I simply carry the security fob for my Kia separately from the key, so if I somehow locked key in car, I can still unlock door. But I DO agree that transponder keys are evil, and car manufacturers who use them will someday burn in hell for them.

13. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

My car won't let me lock the doors if the key is in the ignition. Pretty clever. But I still lock my keys in the car 'cause I leave them on the front seat. For that I have a little plastic carrier in my billfold that holds two car keys. As long as I remember I'm carrying spares before I break the car window, I'm ok.

14. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Silly fob curses, hate those things!

Toto'sDad and jannodude like this.
  15. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

IIRC, KV owned one of the first Volvo (or Saab?) dealerships in the US, so may have spoken from personal experience.

jannodude likes this.
  16. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't call a key lasting five years good. I call a key lasting 30 years + "expected". Hell, I got 100 year old keys around somewhere. And what is a "fob"? Maybe I've been buying base models too long.

I don't know just when, but after reading about $257.45 car keys and $34,000 building permits-- all in the last couple days--I'm feeling like getting drunk, buck naked and running around with a pair of scissors!

Driver3, P Thought, Toto'sDad and 5 others like this.
  17. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The amp went out in my wife's car a couple of weeks ago- no audio, no warning chimes, nothing.
    The dealer charges about 600 for the amp and 400 to install. I ordered the same one at RockAuto for $150 and had the local car audio shop install it for $75. (I had planned on doing it myself, but it wasn't worth my time and I don't have all the tools to remove panels)

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Ha ha

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Best thing that ever happened.
    With those it is impossible to lock the keys in your car since your keys are attached to the fob and you have it in your hand when you lock your car.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.