Did your Tele must have maple or rosewood board or something else?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

After reading many threads about what people prefer I thought about my Tele quest in which a maple neck was a must. Anything else was a deal breaker because I have other guitars but none with a maple neck. On top of that I wanted gloss. In my search my guitar was specifically built with "High Gloss" as mentioned on the spec sheet.

I know a few went the opposite way, it had to be rosewood. What did you choose and why?

Which brings me to the differences I've found with maple vs. rosewood. I like them both.
    - Attack, with maple it is very unique.
    - Feel, most would sand the back of the maple neck to remove the gloss, I actually prefer it.
    - Look, I like the visual aspects of maple, it's cleaner looking (if that makes sense).
    - Maintenance, I find maple easier to clean, less pours.

I'm a fan of both, actually of all guitar woods. My Ibanez RG had a Wizard II maple backed neck with rosewood board which is the best of both World's.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Let me be the first pedant. It's the fingerboard you're talking about.

I like maple for my guitars. It's a feel thing and a cleaning thing. Rosewood gets filthy.

Every other instrument I have had rosewood. Though I'd like a maple board banjo and a maple board bass

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I prefer rosewood boards, but it is a cosmetic preference. I own several examples of each.

4. ASAT-Sean

ASAT-Sean Tele-Meister

I don't have preference either way I take a guitar on its own merit tone wise. I don't seek out specific woods for their tone, I play guitars and see what they sound like. I have found that I like them all

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My favorite all time neck is a MIM strat satin maple neck. So, when I looked for a tele, it had to be maple, but I could never find a satin one. My wife has a mid 90s MIM Duo-Sonic with a satin maple neck/maple cap fretboard that I enjoy as well. If I ever stumble across tele satin neck, I'll get it, otherwise, I will slowly remove the gloss on my neck with Scotchbrite white/green and playing.

6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Really dont
    care much if its RW or Maple. Just as long as the neck radius, neck profile (fat) and fret size is to my liking. Feel comes first for me. Tone can always be changed, so tone is 2nd.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I started out on rosewood fretboards and I've never really cottoned to maple. I like ebony, too, it's just the finished surface of maple that feels odd to me. If you like it, more power to yah.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

No "must haves" for me.
    I own guitars with maple, rosewood, and even pao ferro boards and I like them all.

I do prefer a chunkier neck, but I've even adjusted the slimmer neck on my J5 Squier Tele just because I love everything else about the guitar. Thought about swapping necks on that one, but the matching black headstock with the silver/chrome script is just too cool.
    So, yeah, even the look does factor into my selection criteria.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

same here. started with rosewood and that's what's normal to me. plus, i've noticed i always get blisters on the ends of my fingers with maple and seldom do with rosewood.

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I prefer maple, especially on Teles. I've got a bunch of them.
    I finally built a very nice Tele with a rosewood feetboard, just for something different.

Attached Files:

11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

^^^THIS. There was a time when I had a strong preference for maple. Rosewood felt "scratchy" to me - no doubt based on only one or two experiences - so I avoided it.

Then I fell in love with a Rick Kelly tele with a fat neck and a rosewood board. No "scratchyness" with this board, and I bonded with it quickly and completely.

For me, neck profile is by far the most important variable. Once you go fat, you never go back.

I wish that rhymed.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Once you go big you never go twig :lol:

13. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

This is how glossy my neck it front and back. That's the TV reflection from 8 feet away. Just love the maple.

[​IMG]

14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I'm putting that on a t-shirt! ❤️

15. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Prefer the look and feel of ebony -
    Strat = Ebony
    Tele = Ebony
    Gretsch Nashville = Ebony
    Tele Deluxe = maple
    Ibanez AS83 = rosewood
    Ovation acoustic = rosewood

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

To me a rosewood neck tele sounds better overall, more versitile. But I also feel maple neck teles have the quintessential tele tone a lot more than rosewood. Put it this way....i have both and classic 60's and a classic 50's, and when i decided to sell most of my guitars recently i decided the 50's is the one thats going. To me that maple neck tele sound is much more of a unique sound while the rosewood is a overall sound that works for and does anything. The maple to me has such a different sound than anything that to my ear it's almost like a novelty rather than a versatile guitar i would take to a gig w/o a backup. Thats just me but many people feel a lot different. then again, a lot of people don't even hear the difference. Don't get me wrong, I love that 50's one, maybe even more than the 60's in a way. It's gorgeous with the trans white ash body, the neck is one of the straightest best neck ever on a MIM, the build quality is as good as anything i have owned, and it just speaks to me big time. But I have to go with the one that is the better tool rather than the one that tugs at my heartstrings. Thats how i feel about rosewood vs maple boards on teles, but really on any fender tho to a slightly lesser degree.

17. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Ditto...I have Teles with rosewood/maple, all maple & all pao ferro necks & also prefer a chunkier neck.

18. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Here is the Ibanez RG I speak of. Maple back, white binding and Rosewood board.

It has a custom Fender Strat pickup made for me by William Wiggins and is featured at www.wigginsbrand.com

Sound just like a Strat in the center position too, very versatile guitar, 24 frets, wide Wizard II neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Mine had to have Maple because Black Tele's look sick with maple necks. It was all about the aesthetics.

20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I dont like the feel of finished maple. So out of RW or Maple I choose RW, but it also needs to be a decent piece, because RW is very open grained it can feel rough.

I prefer Pau Ferro and Ebony, though. Much smoother, no stickiness, and seems to have attack similar to maple, although ebony seems to be sharper in the attack. RW seems to have an inherently 'softer' attack than he other woods, IMO. Must be the open grain and pores.
    Also, Pau Ferro and Macassar Ebony looks the best, to me, but also depends on the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.