Did your music taste change when you started playing guitar?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mike Tele, Sep 30, 2021.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Afflicted

Both pretty much happened at the same time in 1969 when I was 16 years old.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, as a guy in an actual, original punk rock band I’m not sure what to make of this.

But then I’ve played plenty of honky tonk on pointy Jackson’s with Floyd’s. I’ve also played punk on those.

I’ve also played New Wave and Country and Punk on Martin’s, LPs, Teles, 335s, Strats and funky catalog guitars.

I kind a play what I want on what I have at the time. And yes, I do put thought into what I wear onstage.

telemnemonics and bromdenlong like this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Big yes! I listened to all my brother and sisters old albums before I started to play. Zeppelin, ZZTOP, Hendrix etc,.. Once I had a few skills, my ear gravitated to richer harmony and I developed a taste for Fusion that persist to this day. Beck, Eric Johnson, Robben Ford etc,.. I never lost my appreciation for the old rock stuff either.

4. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

You and telemnemonics have both made points, but you haven't answered what seems to be his primary initial question: what is a punk rock guitar? Which guitars "say punk rock"?

I've seen a bunch of different guitars played in punk bands, and I can't think of any that struck me as punk or un-punk. Granted, almost all of them were electric, but that's an awfully broad category. I've seen them pristine, beaten-up, cheap, expensive, with and without stickers and/or graffiti, and in many different colors and models.

What is a punk rock guitar? Which guitars "say punk rock"?

MilwMark likes this.
  5. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

I love punk, but what makes an electric guitar a punk rock electric guitar?

If your answer is "It's a punk guitar if punk is being played on it", then we agree! If not, what does a guitar need to be one?

aging_rocker and MilwMark like this.
  6. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

My tastes definitely changed when I started playing guitar. I expanded past the nu/alt metal bands (Linkin Park, SOAD, Stone Sour) that I was liking at the time and got into more extreme music. Death metal, black metal, doom metal, I wouldn't have gotten into any of it when I did if I hadn't began playing guitar.

7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I always liked different styles of music. I listened to quite a lot of prog-rock, but I never wanted to play it.
    Same with more ambient type of stuff, I guess I prefer to play livemusic for people to move and jump and dance around. Maybe it would be different, if I'd be recording.
    I have been playing various styles (in differetn projects) for the last decade: Rockabilly, Jumpblues, Swing, Soul, Funk, New Wave. I loved all of them.

8. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

No, but it ruined the way I listen to music... until I got into home recording/mixing/mastering.

9. pypa

pypa Tele-Holic

So true!!!! I like to play jazz standards and country, but prefer to listen to rock. Less gain.

10. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great question. I'm not sure. I was twenty when I started playing acoustic. I bought a Sigma DR35, the somewhat less-than version of a real Martin D35. I wish now that I'd spent the difference.

At that point in my life, I was listening to all of that classic rock from the 60's and 70's, blues, bluegrass, and I had started venturing into jazz. I never really learned any of that classic rock stuff though, the interest just wasn't there.

Listening to bluegrass inspired me to develop my flat picking style. It's something that I'm glad I worked on, and while I'm primarily a finger picker, I didn't lose the flat picking technique. However, I left the bluegrass genre behind in the early 80's. I think blues and jazz were the biggest influences in terms of what I continued to listen to and play, and delve more deeply into.

And then things changed a bit more when I got my first electric guitar at 50. I continue to finger pick, and I play the same stuff on either electric or acoustic, but I dug into electric blues - of which I have several hundred on LP and CD for inspiration - a lot more than when I was playing purely acoustic.

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

6 strings and a pickup? ;)

There are no punk rock guitars imo, I'm struggling to even think of a guitar type that hasn't been played by a punk band at some point. All the common (and many less common) guitar types have been used. ... and if it hasn't been used before, then there's nothing more 'punk rock' than using it. :D

bromdenlong and telemnemonics like this.
  12. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

This response quotes you, but is really answering all of the “what is a punk guitar” posts.

I agree that there’s no such thing as a “Punk rock guitar.” You can play any kind of music on pretty much any guitar.

But I think we can all agree that if we went into a club before a show and saw a pristine Benedetto guitar on a stand waiting for the band to play, we’d be very surprised if the band came out and started playing punk or metal.

And if we entered the same club and saw a beat up Les Paul Junior with stickers on it and duct tape holding the strap in place, we’d be equally surprised if the band took the stage and started playing smooth jazz.

To further my point, if you worked in the movies and it was your job to outfit a punk band with equipment for a scene, are you really saying you wouldn’t have any idea what guitar to choose if you wanted it to look unambiguously punk?

13. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I did answer the question. My answer was: "You know it when you see it... or you don't." Style isn't a formula.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

It's a line from 'Sound of the Suburbs' by The Members.

"And Johnny's upstairs in his bedroom sitting in the dark
    Annoying the neighbours with his punk rock electric guitar."

15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't...

A Johnny style Mosrite, Steve Jones' LP custom, Steve Diggle's Junior.... the Offspring's Ibanez's perhaps?

Bob Mould's V ... Brain james/ joe Strummer's tele? .. Sensible's SG .... or one of Stephan Egerton's Ernie Balls?

Tim Armstong's Gretsch even .. or Lars' LTD.

It's a difficult choice but I'd probably go with a Tele for the guitarist and a LP Jr for the singer. No nonsense rock n roll guitars.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahhh OK that makes sense if you were sort of making an inside joke using that line.

I would presume the neighbors were annoyed by the MUSIC though, not the brand or model or visual cues regarding the guitar!
    Punk rock electric guitar playing, yeah!
    I get your joke reference now.

But @davidge1 continuing to argue that there are specific guitars known as “punk rock guitars” and taking his argument all the way to the Supreme Court (supreme punk court of course) “I cant tell you but I know it when I see it” is still a stretch to most of us who do not require proper attire for punk.
    Damned in fact if I didn’t think the absence of proper attire was more essential than conformity!

That’s OK though because: stuff

bromdenlong likes this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Nope... I was into "Philly Rock" and Motown/Soul as a kid living in Central NJ, so my affinity for the Blues was a smooth transition. I never aspired to play Beach Boys, Beatles, or most of that 60s folk and "hippie/psychodelic music". I was captivated by the British bands like The Who, Yardbirds/J. Beck, Taste/Rory G., and our Roy Buchanan. And that's where I'm still at.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Here’s a guitar that has a neck I took from one of the Strats used by the Voidoids. It was Ivan’s guitar and I traded an amp for it at Chelsea guitars. Then in typical punk rock attitude I used what I liked and discarded the rest.
    I knew Quine too and bought some pickups out of one of his Strats, but I lost the whole guitar in a pawn shop to buy dope.
    I knew a close friend of Warhol’s who claims he suggested the name for the VU, and it was his punk rock drummer son I played with when I bailed him out of Rikers.
    The old man sent me the $500 I fronted for bail money which was kind of unheard of, a junkie will rarely bail another junkie out of jail when the dope is calling on the other line.

Anyhow, is this a punk rock guitar?
    24495B7C-8EB1-404F-9418-0048F488416D.jpeg

ClashCityTele likes this.
  19. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

See how easy? You knew the answer all along.

Just tell me you didn't have him autograph it on the back.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    telemnemonics likes this.
  20. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

I asked if you wouldn’t have any idea what to choose. You said you had no idea. And then you demonstrated that you do have a clear idea.

No nonsense rock and roll guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.