Did You Think Those Really Expensive Amp Power Cords Were Silly?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Jan 21, 2020.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why not just go with a dedicated solar circuit for the audio system?
    Only half joking. Probably cheaper than a new pole, and definitely isolated from the grid.

Um... Hey... I'll be right back, I've got a patent attorney on the other line. :D

LutherBurger and gregulator450 like this.
  2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

They're right. I want cables made of unobtanium, soaked in underage virgin's pituitary gland secretions and coated in a layer of platinum one atom thick.

It's the recipe to the sound of God. Of course, it all has to be eye-wateringly expensive.

Otherwise what's the point.

aging_rocker likes this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

And if those aren't vintage (or at least vintage-correct) tone poles why bother?

Switchy likes this.
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My hearing is not good enough to hear the difference.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Just for the sake of argument, the Japanese guy could have set up his own generator or whatever power conditioner for a lot less than $40k plus.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't have real vintage tone poles to sell, but I've got relics... See I've got a pack of dogs that I take on walks around my pole farm, and they happily relic anything in their path. I can even get you relics by dog breed for the REALLY discriminating audiophile... For a slight upcharge of course.

Greggorios and gregulator450 like this.
  7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

That will make his Guitar Wolf albums sound much better :cool:

8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Generator? You’re clearly not an audiophile. Nuclear power or nothing. But you’re right, he’s wasting his time and money, when he should just be building a home reactor.

Switchy likes this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some very expensive cables may produce a detectable change in tone that can only be had by purchasing cables for $200 per foot....

Or by turning one of those knobs on your amp...

Frodebro and aging_rocker like this.
  10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It would seem cheaper to just install a UPS (AC-DC-AC) converter. Take the bad power from your socket, convert it to DC, then back through an inverter to “pure” AC. No power company gritch on the inverter output at all.

Of course, as an engineer, I’m not sure that I get how a power cable (properly sized) would change the sound of an amplifier, assuming the amplifier had a well filtered power supply section. OTOH, some years ago a local guy sold me “bi-cabled” speaker cables with a money back guarantee. I thought it was silly, but I bought them and son of a gun, even when I had my son change the cables back and forth without me knowing, I kept choosing the set the guy at the audio shop sold me. Can’t explain that. The previous cables were supposed to be pretty decent and were certainly more than large enough for the amperage being sent to the speakers. But somehow, the split cables worked better.

11. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

This kind of thing could be a good filter for a recording studio (or extra expensive listening room):
    https://www.mpe.co.uk/category/installation-filters/

Though some of them that are inductive on the load side can make matters worse if digital (computer), lights (other than filament) and such are fitted together with the audio gear. For instance, once in a screened room, we were getting 300V spikes on neutral. Since all tested properly other than that, we beefed up the filter. Then it got worse. It was a faulty UPS within the room generating the noise. Long story short time - the cause of the UPS' death was a different set of neutral spikes caused by the huge physics experiment in the basement of UKAEA.

If some power cords are sounding "good", it's probably down to having much greater capacitance to ground than standard ones. This would help get rid of input noise a tiny little bit. Easier would be to use a filtered inlet on an amp... Like this inexpensive thing:
    https://uk.farnell.com/corcom-te-connectivity/6eej1/filter-iec-6a/dp/9586296

12. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

And for more money, but way less than installing your own fresh electricity spring, a constant voltage transformer can be used:
    http://www.aelgroup.co.uk/faq/faq001.php

They're great in both the heavy and good ways.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The creosote they’re soaked in won’t let the wood breathe.

LutherBurger, Deeve and Switchy like this.
  14. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You think audiophile power cords are silly? These people by carbon fiber outlet plates, audiophile outlets, and stands to elevate speaker wires above the carpeting. They buy tiny pucks weighing a fraction of a gram that, attached to walls and speakers, make your system sound different. And that’s not even the silliest stuff.

15. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Mines been shot for years!

I cant tell the difference between a good stereo and two cans and a string.

16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

When my guitar sounds bad I clean out my ears. No additional power poles needed.

Andy B likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

That sounds painful!:eek::rolleyes:

18. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Are those aluminum or tin cans?

Dan German likes this.
  19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Nuclear is for amateurs and plebians. If you want to be able to hear when Mercury goes into retrograde, you gotta use a low-noise liquid thorium reactor. Its self-regulating design allows you to hear frequencies that don't even naturally occur in the known universe.

20. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Weird. I just heard “Mercury In Retrograde” by Sturgill Simpson for the first time not ten minutes ago. Or at least I think I heard it—it’s hard to tell with the terrible sound my local hydroelectric company provides.

Cysquatch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.