Did you know you can no longer revive old threads? BMR content..

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by schmee, Jan 29, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I tried to post on a thread from last year. It doesn't let you boost the old thread anymore. In other words it won't show up as a new post in the hierarchy of posts.This happened a week or so ago also where I did it on another subject.. Just thought I'd get the word out there.
    Old thread April last year:

I've got a '68 Bandmaster Reverb that seems to lack treble, especially the high, presence/sparkly treble. With the bright switch on I have to crank the treble up to 7-8 to get what I would consider a 'normal' Fender bright - and I want 'Bakersfield country' bright -, and with the switch off it is downright dull sounding. And this is on both channels and through bright speakers - 12T6, C12N, 12F150. For reference, I have a friend who has a Silverface Twin with Oxford 12T6's and with the treble on 4-5, it is more bright and sparkly than I can even get with my amp, unless I crank the treble to 9 and then it just gets piercing and unmusical.

Any ideas?

I'm going to tag onto this Zombie thread from last year.

MY BMR is just the opposite of the OP's, very bright amp. I have been going through some things on it and thought I would tackle the brightness issue.

I have tried a few things, but really, not much effect. There is no way I could use the bright switch on this one. To make it sound decent I have to put the treble between 2 and 3 with the bright switch off.

The Normal channel, is thick and nice. The Reverb channel tone caps are the same as the Normal channel.

I have that PI coupling cap at .001uf. Maybe I should go to .005?

Bias, Filters, coupling caps etc are all recent.

Seems kinda crazy, it's always been this way... since I've had it. Gotta be he brightest AB763 based amp I've had.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting turn of protocol that I suspect is (at least perceived) profit-driven

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a good defense against people who register and revive old threads after a google search lands them here, too.

4. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

A few years ago when I had a different screen name and password I can't recall I naively did that exact thing and was scolded by several for it. I could easily have done it again. Most of my visits to this forum until this past few weeks have occurred because of Google searches. I was reading a thread last night that was from 2008 and another from 2011. I understand not reviving threads but there is a wealth of knowledge in the history here.

GFrank, Wally, Rick330man and 2 others like this.
  5. blowtorch

What harm does this do?

To me it always made sense to add to an existing thread, rather than start a new one. But I know, I know, I don't make the rules.

And, I don't want that job

GFrank, teletail, RadioFM74 and 21 others like this.
  6. Frodebro

I don't make the rules either, and it varies from forum to forum. Some places you'll get blasted for reviving an old thread, and on some you'll get blasted for starting a new one without first doing a search. I just roll with it.

7. blowtorch

yep same here, just trying to understand what, if any, rationale is actually behind that thought process

back in the day, they used to say that it upset folks to see names of posters who had passed on. i dunno, seems a stretch

Steve Holt, ruger9 and Mad Kiwi like this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

So I'm a bit unclear on the protocol here. What is the limit on how many posts make it to the "new posts" list? What criteria is used to designate a "new post"? How old must a thread be to behave in the way described in the OP? In other words, how old is "old"? If you can't bump an old thread why don't they merely lock it?

Is any of this info detailed anywhere on this site?

schmee likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The problem is, the old thread may have a ton of info and notes and components and cap values, and failed attempts etc. When we have to start a new thread from scratch, we all have to thrash through all those same things for a month to get to a new start....

BUT, I really posted about the BMR brightness. :DAny thoughts?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/bandmaster-reverb-treble-issue.940959/

Mike Simpson, Wally and telemnemonics like this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

...and let's not forget the auto scroll to the right that shows topics, posts, etc., that almost encourage you to click on if something looks interesting.

The whole non-bumping of necro threads is pretty baffling. Any info or wisdom within just gets pushed further out to sea.

If this does have something to do with monetizing the forum that would explain the new ads parked into the topic pages that has just recently started (for me). Oh what a joy.

11. blowtorch

The problem is, these things have changed over time.
    At one point, reviving zombie threads was strongly discouraged, and the rules and regs and posting guidelines said so. Then, later, mods were at best indifferent regarding this issue, and now it seems they've solved the issue with tech

With no explanation of it from the powers that be, I'd just assume it's about money

12. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

what's so bad about that...I love to revive old threads...it's exciting...

Steve Holt likes this.
  14. Frodebro

Often it’s people who don’t have anything to do with guitars, and make their one post then disappear forever.

15. blowtorch

But what does that have to do with why there should or should not be reviving of zomibie threads?

This and all sites already fight against spambots and the like, that is a completely different issue though, yes?

16. Frodebro

I’ll be happy to answer all of these questions as soon as ‘Admin’ appears under my name. Until then, I have no clue what the true motivation is and, honesty, don’t really see it as worthy of fretting over.

17. blowtorch

Fair enough, just looking for some clarification. And, you're right, I'm querying to the wrong guy...really was just questioning into the ether, anyway...

Frodebro likes this.
  18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yeah seriously if you have something to add why not?

blowtorch likes this.
  19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I think its crazy as well. The amount of information that gets lost from the policy is unreal.

Background and history is what gives anything its charactor, let alone the loss of information regarding amps, circuits, components, experiences passed on.....(for example).

20. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

A thread from last year doesn't qualify to me as a zombie thread necessarily.

It would be nice if we could get an admin to chime in here to give us the rules.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.