Did You Have Good Taste In Music When You Were A Kid?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Dec 10, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe I had an unfair advantage. My dad was still a gigging musician when I was little, he had a lot of talent and broad tastes. He was in that WWII => GI bill generation and assimilation was really important so he would get symphony, big show and at times ballet tickets.

Most of the family elders loved musicals and great singers of their day but my dad loved really out there stuff too so I had this hard core WWII vet dad who played Varese, Ives, Cage and appreciated Frank Zappa. I had a dad who if driving a truck could say something about the music it was making and what time signature the road bumps were putting it in.

This actually made me very thankful for things my parents did. Now I realize it was a lot of effort and money to take their kids from a small town to the big cities and experience the culture stuff.

Harry Styron and Torren61 like this.
  2. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep! I listened to my big sister's Beatles and Elvis albums, then got into Kiss, Zeppelin, Zappa, Bowie, Cheap Trick, Sabbath, et al. There was a LOT of different cool stuff on the radio then, in the mid 70s -- your local rock station could give you a really well-rounded education in popular music.

I also blasted myself with Beethoven on a regular basis on my parent's ancient Magnavox cabinet stereo. It was set up in a corner of the living room so that there was just room for me to fit in next to one of the big speakers. That was fun!

Torren61 likes this.
  3. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I listened to a lot of stuff. I had a couple REM tapes. A Marvin Gay tape. Some Anthrax, some Metallica, a Milli Vanilli tape, a Digital Underground tape, a Faith No More tape, some Van Halen and some other stuff. Sam Cooke, Billy Joel, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I loved it all lol!

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

What I did listen to was excellent, but I didn't listen to very much. Took me into my 20s before I started appreciating at least a little bit of everything.

Today I'm just as likely to be listening to jazz or bluegrass or synth pop.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Earliest memories are from around 1973ish, when I was 6 yo. Beatles, Stones, ELO, Roy Wood, Rod Stewert, PG era Fleetwood Mac, Harry Nilson, Joni Mitchell and the Wombles all featured on the radio a lot. Loved em all.

Better taste than I had as a teenager.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I listened to Kiss. So, no.
    Eventually I found Led Zeppelin, then the Stones, Beatles, and everything else. Whew.

Dismalhead and Torren61 like this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I tend to think so, though there were a few bloopers in there. The first LP that I bought was Three Dog Night's "Live at the Forum". I bought that when I was about 10 years old, 1970. In 1971 I got Woodstock for Christmas. That album defined what I would listen to, at least as far as "rock" music went, for the next several decades.

By the time I was in my mid to late teens, I was listening to Marley, the Dead, Hendrix, Deep Purple, CSNY, The Doors, Joplin, The Band, Paul Butterfield, Dylan, Young, Sandy Denny, Joni Mitchell, Todd Rundgren, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Arlo Guthrie, The Stones, Beatles, Mountain, Johnny Winters, Muddy, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane, Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, Hot Tuna, Jackson Browne, Van Morrison, and a host of others.

Got heavily into the blues in my mid to late teens, bluegrass became a staple from the time I was about 17 through my adult life. Jazz came into my life when I was 18.

I wasn't heavily influenced in early soul until the last twenty years. As a fan of the Allman Brothers when I was in my teens and twenties, I got turned on to Aretha's Atlantic years, Johnny Jenkins, King Curtis and Wilson Picket. Yep, good stuff!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    PBO Blues and Torren61 like this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was a Yes-head and enjoyed other Prog-Rock stuff the most as a teen. Things broadened in college. Lot's of jazz interest, too, both "traditional' and the slinkier, modern stuff. At age 63, I enjoy almost any kind of music other than the darkest "death metal" and hard-core, profane rap type material. As a listener and supporter of WXPN.org, what I actually listen to regularly is very eclectic but involves a lot of alternative, singer/songwriter/country-crossover/blues, etc. My personal collection of about 6000 songs on digital media is similar.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Later on I got my first radio and started following the mid-‘80s pop charts. I probably heard every song that entered the American Top 40 for two years. It ended when I started buying cassettes of my own choosing and gravitated from Bon Jovi and Def Leppard to Guns N’ Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes is one of my favorite bands. I have everything I could get from them on my playlist. What a good band, although I wasn't crazy about the Trevor Rabin period. Their first and second albums are so overlooked yet so damn good.

11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I liked Aerosmith, Duke Ellington and Chopin. I still like them, so I'll say yes.

Richie Cunningham and Torren61 like this.
  12. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

My folks weren't music people. They did have a stereo but I only recall two albums they ever played; a country-western compilation (from which the only song I remember was Marty Robbins' "The Streets of Laredo") and a Nancy Sinatra collaboration with Lee Hazlewood. Thrilling stuff. I also remember watching the Ed Sullivan Show with them on the night that the Fab Four debuted and listening to Mom and Dad cluck about how awful the act was. It took more years than it should have to discover how wrong they were.

I, of course, ultimately passed through the Monkees and the Archies and the host of Hermans Hermits, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Dave Clark Five ilk, later moving up to the more sophisticated Association, Cyrcle, and Ohio Express when the urge (but not necessarily the courage) to slow dance with the ladies began to bubble gum up my adolescent brain.

Then came Alice.

Alice was my friend's older sister and she introduced us, then impressionable fourteen year-olds, to something entirely different. Vanilla Fudge. Cream. The Doors. Steppenwolf. But most influentially, she agreed to take my friend and me to our first rock concert (I can only imagine how hard her parents must have twisted her arm to let little bro' and his nerdy friend tag along) and I wound up sitting three rows in front of this cat named Jimi.

Music's never been quite the same.

Thank you, Alice, wherever you are.

buster poser and Torren61 like this.
  13. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

"Sixteen Tons"-Tenesee Ernie Ford

claes and Torren61 like this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In hindsight I'd say, yes ... started with my dad's big band records, e.g. the Dorseys, Ellington, Miller; and my sister's 45s e.g. Elvis, Sam the Sham; then the Ventures and Beach Boys; then Meet the Beatles and British Invasion hit, along with the excellent mid-late 60's AM radio. Also liked popular classical pieces e.g. William Tell Overture and the Nutcracker along with older jazz like Armstrong, also Tin Pan Alley, that we'd play on old 78rpm hand-crank players that friends still had out in their barns and summer cottages.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Like others, I listened primarily to my parents' music till I was eight or ten years old. My mom liked easy listening and what would probably be called Lite Hits on radio today. My dad was a straight country music guy--Merle, George Jones, Charley Pride, Cash and all the Hanks, etc.

When I got old enough to get interested in guitar, I still gravitated toward country; bluegrass at first because all I had was an acoustic. Roy Clark was probably my guitar hero until I heard a song called Rainbow Stew when I was in high school. I began to pull out all my dad's Haggard albums, and listen to what Merle, Roy, and all the Strangers had really done. Meantime, I was listening to everything from Fleetwood Mac to Bob Seger to Cheap Trick to Neil Diamond to Jimmie Rodgers; but eventually all I wanted to do was front a band and play some of my my own lead guitar the way Merle did.

The album cover of Rainbow Stew: Live at Anaheim Stadium showed Merle holding an old butterscotch Tele that he played for years...and shortly afterwards I worked my a** off all summer in the hot sun to buy a guitar like that. Aside from my first cheapo yard sale electric, I've never used any electric guitar other than a Tele.

Forty years later, I guess my username and avatar picture kinda sum up where I landed.

Torren61 and PBO Blues like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I'm trying to remember...I think my first 8 tracks were: Chicago, The Who, and Boots Randolph (I played saxophone). About a year later, I discovered Sha Na Na, and that was a whole 'nother country.

Edit...and a memory jog. The other 8 track was a James Gang.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Now that's good stuff. Cosmo's is one of my all-time favorites.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

oh hell yeah...

19. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 Tele-Meister

Hard to say as good taste is so subjective. I been in 1960 and was very open to music and listened to everything from classical to country up to about 1980 (can't stand the southern pop/rock that passes as country today), Big Band, Jazz, R&R, Soul and R&B when I was a kid. The first record I bought was Revolver and then Rubber Soul which started me to collecting music (1200 plus records, about 1000 cds, about 1000 cassettes, 100 plus R2R tapes and about 40k Flac and wav files to put it into context). In my family I am the only one that cares about music. The only one that plays an instrument.

By the way, Ambrosia is mentioned in the 2nd post. While they did have a couple of pop hits they are mainly known among those that really pay attention as an accomplished prog rock group. I have several of their albums and encourage a deeper dig through their catalog. You might be pleasantly surprised.

getbent and Torren61 like this.
  20. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Yes.....was born in '58, my brother was born in '50 ....he turned me on to LOTS of great music

buster poser and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.