Did you guys have Amp GAS after getting first tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Nov 22, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

When I came back to guitar after a long hiatus to build a career and raise a family I bought a SuperChamp XD. I had Amp-GAS almost immediately. The amp was both farty and flubby on the low strings and too loud. I replaced the speaker with a Weber. Fart and flub were gone, but it was even louder, intolerably loud in fact. The high gain amp models made it louder still. I was fortunate to come across a Mesa Boogie Mark IV while guitar shopping and I liked a lot about it. I didn't need that much power, didn't want to spend more than $2000, and definitely wanted something lighter, but I heard something I liked. Patience is a virtue. I found an Express 5:25 at the model change to the Plus for well under $1000 off the floor. That was the right amp for me. I have plenty of headroom or I can get crunch. I don't use the high gain channels, but I have the two "clean" channels set up for twang and jazz. I think that GAS is driven by not having what you want or need. In my case it was pretty much cured by finding the right amp. Of course nothing cures GAS when it's an obsessive compulsive disorder.

2. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Dude, I played a Classic 30 for years and they are really great little amps. I had a few speakers in mine over the years, but I think my favorite for that particular amp was actually the Jensen MOD 12/70, which is a pretty affordable speaker. I would also suggest a reverb tank upgrade. I used the MOD tank and it was MUCH better.

3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

If you mean did I then buy multiple tube amps within months, spare NOS tubes, a Hlickok tube tester, and a Pelican case to store tubes, then yes. :lol:

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Yessir! exactly right!

5. dreamingtele

I will check out that Speaker.. Ive got like a list of what are the best and waiting for it to turn up used. LOL

I dont really use the reverb as I have a reverb pedal (RV-6) on my board, so Im just limiting the amp on the volume and tone controls on the clean channel..

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup, but I learned to live with it.:)

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, it won't. :(

8. dreamingtele

Im pretty sure I agree with this.. I went from Squiers to MIM's to MIA telecasters, and once I got my holy grail, AVRI62, now I want to go custom shop, and even higher!!!

Frodebro likes this.
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got six Mesa/Boogies. The Mark V was supposed to be the one to stop the vicious cycle, but it didn't happen. :oops:

10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

My Line 6 Pod gave me Amp Gas.

11. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

The Prosonic does Fender cleans quite well, although it is generally fatter with more mids than the traditional blackface tone. You can get really close to blackface by setting the EQ right. And don't let the 30w power fool you; its pair of 6L6s make it a very loud amp. There is plenty of headroom in the 60w solid-state rectified mode. In the 30w "Class A", cathode-biased, tube-rectified mode, it breaks up much sooner and is very touch sensitive, but runs hot and eats tubes. And you can get good crunch through searing gain, and everything in between, at mild to wild volumes using the cascading gain channel.

The combo is heavy, though not like a Twin. It is heavy enough that I've seen evidence some players are starting to dump them in favor of smaller, lighter amps.

12. dreamingtele

Thanks for the info!

I didnt realize that its 2x10! Im not sure i want it anymore. hehehe.. I only want 1x12 for the sake of my back!

13. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have gas everyday.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

LOL ... Fair enough .. I'm up to seven guitars cos they're all different and essential. But with regards to amps I just need that deep clean sound and a decent dirty channel and I'm good

First my marshall half stack served me well for a decade and now my Mesa Boogie Rectoverb has served me for another decade.

15. dreamingtele

i think, i need to clarify that this is my first tube amp, and I thought i could never own one let alone afford one.

Now that I have one, im hooked. And i want more! Hahaha.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.