Did you guys have Amp GAS after getting first tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I didn't get GAS for amps until I started playing out.

Playing at home alone I was more into guitars and could be happy playing a SS Bandit or even a SS Dean Markley. There was a time I was using a Peavey Special 212 and I didn't even use a pedal for about 8 years.

Then once I started playing out I noticed I had a sound I was hearing in my head but not achieving with my amps so I started exploring different amps and they were all tube amps. I went through several tube amps from Fender and Peavey and along with tubes, pedals and speaker swaps etc. I still was not achieving a sound I liked. On a whim I ordered a Carvin Belair and on the lowly "soak" channel set low I found the sound in a live setting I had been chasing all those years. I didn't even have to change a single thing on the amp from right out of the box. I haven't had amp GAS for 13 years now. I only wish I'd bought another new one before Carvin quit making amps.

Hiker, chillybilly and dreamingtele like this.
  2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

for years and years, Ive only ever used SS amps in church. I love the cleans I can get from it, but I di agree that some are just without warmth and can be a little bit sterile sounding. Especially going silent stage and most of the time running direct to PA through my Joyo American Sound or Tech21 Blonde.

now i’ve grown a bit as a musician and my tastes have changed, also with the fact that I had enough for a tube amp at that time. So i finally got my first, a Classic 30. And i never had so much fun playing. Not that its all i care about, but you get my point.

i guess, after getting into the tube amp world, Im kind of wanting to try everything, but then again, i also have limited resources so theres that. I’m not ungrateful or anything, but im still dreaming of a pure BF cleans thats all. Heheh.

3. dreamingtele

ive played through a 50 watt carvin. I dont know the model, it was old, but it sounded good. Cleans are outstanding!

4. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

My first tube amp was a Fender PA 100, 70's tube public address amplifier, 100W.

I bought it as a father and son project when he was 9 yrs. We had no requirement or GAS for another tube amp for 12 yrs. It is a clean, high headroom amp, that shines with pedals.

I started to play slide and did some research, and discovered that the Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed, was excellent for slide, so, I traded a guitar for one. I had a Fender HM ported 1x12 cab and picked up Cannabis Rex for it. I am pleased with the set up.

My bandmate playing his EVH Wolfgang Special into my rig.

YMMV

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ancient history. My first amp was a Silvertone TwinTwelve 1474 (4 x 6L6) combo that I got from a high school classmate in 1967. It was heavy and loud and I didn't know tone from squat. It was loud and I was playing a Japanese Univox hollow body that looked like a Gibson ES 330. I was such a newby that I didn't know the difference between a 330 and a 335.

One day I played with a 65 DR - GAS came on and I started paying attention to what others were playing. At a high school assembly, both players were using ES 335's and Super Reverbs.

My GAS was for the SR. My guitars went into the closet shortly after I started college and didn't come out for for about 25 years. I went through a few amps and finally got my SR - a cherry '69 Silverface. By then I had GAS again and got a few more amps. Sadly, I'm feeling my age and getting the SR into the car was too difficult, it has been sold. My current amp is an Allen Sweet Spot - it scratches my itches.

6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I had to go without an amp for a long time, but when the moment was right I finally got a Twin Reverb. I don't think I'd had it for more than a few weeks before I wanted an AC-30. Not long after that, I realised I needed a Champ too. Wouldn't mind an Ampeg Reverberocket either. Fortunately for me, I like cash even more than hardware. Plus, not much spare room at the moment. But an AC-30 and a Champ are going to happen, one day.

7. dreamingtele

there’s actually a 90’s Ampeg Reverberocket not too far from me. In great condition! Serviced and perfect! But Id have to sell my Classic 30, and add cash. Which short at the moment!

but the thing is, its gonna be too heavy to bring out and too loud! But i want it for christmas!

8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Yes, in Australia the cash is always the hard part. People are virtually giving these things away in the States, according to our fellow TDPRIers.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I bought 65 Blackface PRRI, but I bought a (Roland) Boss Katana for the higher wattage and the effects. Both are great IMHO.

10. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

:lol::lol: He said... ‘My last tube amp’. :lol::lol: You have serious willpower, if true. That said, lovely combo you have there.... bet it sounds even better. love the color...just refinished my first guitar (‘84 Squier Bullet) in that color.

11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I went from GT5 into SRM450

to /13 CJ11 - 65 amps Ventura - Marshall JTM1c

in a very short time

I can do a variety of amp/pedals - W/D/W - WD etc

I have no amp gas now just total tonal bliss

dreamingtele likes this.
  12. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Come to think of it my first tube amp (in recent history) did trigger GAS, big time.

I was getting back into playing guitar after a 20 year hiatus and picked up a used Fender Super Sonic 22. I liked the tone but was concerned about the lack of headroom (needlessly, in retrospect). So I GASed for the Super Sonic 22's much larger brother, the 100-watt Super Sonic Twin with its power and many bells and whistles.

I quickly tired of the weight and excess complexity of the SS Twin and my GAS settled on the Super Sonics' predecessor, the Zinky-designed Fender Prosonic.

I found a used Prosonic head cheap, but it had a modified preamp, which started my GAS for a stock Prosonic head. I've got one now and love it. Super Sonics are sold.

I then went through GAS for speakers and cabinets before settling on what I have now, but that's another story.

dreamingtele likes this.
  13. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Yes. I got my first tube amp a couple years ago, a lowly little 76 Vibro Champ, and the GAS was pretty much instant. It's still my only tube amp but only because I'm not sure what I want next lol.

dreamingtele likes this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

You can make that amp sound noticably better by placing a genuine Mullard 12ax7 in there. No the new production. Find a deal on an ANOS. Probably an RCA would also do justice.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

With all the dynamic changes that have fallen on the performing music industry, there are a couple of givens. Many, have gone digital cause the emulation for tube tone is ear splittingly close. Hi power amps? They are listed everywhere and they sit. But look at the TGP ads for reference. Hardly any small low watt vintage amps in comparison. For me low watt vintage is where it is at with the use of pedals. And 8" is where some good tone can be had. BUT BUT BUT, all of you can have a better tone palette by having a designated, well built 8" cab. Dovetailed. I have two. They have 50's or 60's Alnico special design Jensens which sound supurb. But I have a 8 British Weber I will try and have tried others. In a smaller room, I can reproduce any ear crushing tone I'd get from a bigger amp. But, I can replicate concussion, fat, clear head room fat OD I want without sending my tinnitus into a roar. They are not super expensive to have. And all are super tweakable, especially with NOS/ANOS tubes.

I have an EC champ and a modded one, a 54 Supro Comet & Spectator 79 Vibro Champ. Vox AC4 clone, A 5f2 clone, Also a Magnatone Estey with a 6 inch Jensen Alnico speaker;amazing. Pedals? They are harder to control. Especially when your gass is elevated by situations like, OH! The Delay does this well, but that delay does this well. Then, when you have two of everything, it really gets crazy. But I do use this rule. If it sits, it goes. That goes for guitars, amps & pedals. I have three ss amps, a Dan electro vintage look bass amp ri, a vox pathfinder 15 and a Yamaha G5,(has the mesa front and dovetailed). For me, these are the best sounding ss low watters around

dreamingtele likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

When I started playing guitar, the only amps available were tube amps. One of my fondest sensory memories, and it's very distant now, was the smell of dust, cooking on tubes. Maybe you would have had to have been there.

Which is not to say I've didn't have a serious GAS period. I'm mostly through it. At one time, i had zero amps and was playing only acoustic; had to raise children, etc. When I started to look at amps again, I started with a Fender Frontman 25. Then came a Blue DeVille, 2X12 1996ish, as loud and as heavy as a Twin; it was good for outdoor gigs. I had it for maybe 15 years or so, now it's gone. Also had a Blues Jr. (III) - and it's gone also. Had an Ampeg Gemini II, the 1 X 15 version. It was glorious in it's own way, but now - it's gone also.

What I use mostly now is either a SF Princeton 1970 (no-verb) or a BF Tremolux with a 2 X 10 cab that I built. I also have a Gibson Discoverer ('63), a Knight PA amp (from '67, a 2 X 6L6 45W) that I run through a 1 X15 cab, and a SF drip-edge Bassman, that came with a 2X15 cab. Feel like a got the bases covered with that.

Still have the Frontman 25, too.

My 2 cents for the OP - take your time; patience is truly a virtue. Wait for opportunities. There's a lot of stuff still out there - and TBT, guys like me are starting to die off - whose gonna buy my amps from my wife? oh, my friends, who are still around, might. Who knows?

17. dreamingtele

I actually dont know anything about tubes and NOS and all that.. I may get scammed or something.. the new productions from Russia are available here.. Ive been researching on what tubes+speaker combinations work best, but now, Im holding off from buying anything as I want to learn this amps ins and outs, learn how to make it sing and how my gear works with this.. its pretty new to me.. like a 3 weeks or a month..

When I got this amp, the tubes were replaced last 2015 with a complete set of JJ's 12AX7's and JJ's EL84's.. I asked around if I should retube but a lot of folks here told me not to worry about it.. but I'm actually going to get this to a well known amp tech here before the Christmas break to go over everything and make sure it has a clean bill of health and ready for gigs next year.. though Im not sure what to ask for, all Ive read are filter cap replacement or something..

I already took it to one of my gigs and I never had so much fun playing and hearing my tones out of this amp.. It even still has the original unbranded/unlabelled black speaker, so Im guessing this amp is from circa 1990's.. still alive and kicking and in very good condition that hasn't triggered my OC-ness with regards to gear condition..

18. dreamingtele

You wont believe this, but theres a Prosonic in immaculate condition about an hour from me, but its pretty expensive.. I was about to research everything about it as its 30w.. and I really want Fender cleans!

19. dreamingtele

okay I will take your advice and take my time! I dont have enough to get a second amp anyway.. and the ones I want are super expensive!

20. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Nope, when I was maybe 13 I got my very used ‘68 Vibrolux and it was the only one I owned for years.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.