Did you guys have Amp GAS after getting first tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Nov 22, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I got a Vox AC4 and immediately had an overwhelming irresistible urge to build a tube amp.
    Haven't really felt the need for another amp since then, but I would like another amp building project at some point.
    Right now I have 2 guitar builds and a ReVibe underway, so don't really need to start any new projects right now.
    FB_IMG_1574515045302.jpg

2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Only got into electric a few years ago because the praise band at church did have room for another acoustic.
    First amp: Fender champion 40, no soul, put an old Fender BJ speaker in it and sold it to a buddy who didn't have an amp for $100
    2nd amp: a mentor sold me an old Blues Junior. Put a C-Rex in it and chased tone for a few months. On long term loan to another ampless buddy.
    3rd amp (should've been first): DRRI SE Bordeaux and Wheat. OMGoodness, what tone. To the OP: Seriously, if it's the clean BF Fender tone you're chasing, just save up and get it. I've never heard of anyone being disappointed by one. The DRRI is plenty loud enough against drums, especially if you put an efficient ceramic speaker in it. If it isn't loud enough, you're doing some significant hearing damage.
    4th amp: PRRI. After a year or so of lugging the DRRI to church and back twice a week (with my aging back) I got the Princeton, 33lbs and perfect for the gig. I was only running the DRRI volume at 2-2.5 anyway.
    * bases covered, other than experimenting with speakers, my amp lust has died down.

black_doug likes this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have really not had amp GAS since getting my Orange Rocker 15. It really does everything I need really well.

I do kind of want a second tube amp though. I have a Roland Cube Street and basically never use it so I kind of feel like I need to replace it with something that I actually want to play. Also my guitar teacher actually comes to my house. I think if I got a Princeton or something for amp #2 he’d actually use it and it’d make playing together more fun. I’d get rid of the Roland to do so though, and then would not have a portable battery amp.

But I have no real feeling of needing wanting to replace the Orange.

4. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Amp GAS is much, much stronger than guitar GAS for me. So many variations in feel, sound, and tone to get. I have a 5W National in a custom cab driving a modern 12 Texas Heat and a Harmony 5D/E3 like clone with an old Jensen in it. I'm currently trying to find Fender BF tone for cheap. That will be followed by a Vox and a........

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Woollymonster likes this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There should be some kind of vaccine. . . .

JL_LI and Woollymonster like this.
  6. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Plop. Plop. Fizz. Fizz.

7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

If you want a real point to point hand wired tube amp at lower volume you might look at the Fender Custom Shop Champ, or the Victoria 5112. I have owned them both. Wish I had the Victoria back. Those can be had for around a grand.

Nice rig you have there! Love that Tele.

One more video for inspiration:

And this one:

chipwich likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I was a teen in the 60's, when tube amp makers had no worthy solid state amp competition.

Fast forward to the 90's, when Peavey debuted it's new TransTube technology at Winter NAMM 1995. Years later, in Q4 2006, the new Peavey TransTube guitar amplifier line became available to the general public, giving serious players a viable, solid state option to tube amps.

Since that time, Roland, Sunn, Randall, Lab Series, Quilter and Orange have all joined the foray in solid state guitar amp development and production!

With continuing advances in technology, today's solid state amps offer very worthy competition for their tubed counterparts, with no recurring costs!

9. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

What @Woollymonster said. A vintage or boutique built Champ would match up nicely with the Classic 30. They get their hooks into you and are hard to live without, once you've had one.

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Started playing in the late 80s... my first handful of amps were cheap solid state amps. The first three were increasingly larger Gorillas. I kept blowing them. My last SS amp at that point was a gray carpet covered stack that I also blew out.

So I saved up my pay from working in my parents’ little country store after school and on weekends, and bought a 4x10 Rivera Fender Concert amp from a friend of the family who was about 5-6 years older. At that point, I was good to go as far as volume and quality of sound. That amp, a Rat2 and a crybaby defined my sound until I basically stopped play for a decade starting around 2000. I ended up selling that amp for under 100 bucks to a local pawnshop when I fell on hard times.

Fast forward to early this year. I decided that the region I’d moved to provides ample opportunities to gig professionally, and have been struggling to find a like minded group of dedicated musicians. I’d learned over the past few years that bigger isn’t better when it comes to a practical rig. After going through a few smaller tube combos (I still have two of the “almosts”), I found the best answer for my needs as of now.

The GAS never really goes away, in my case. I always crave perfection. Right now, I’m as close as I’ve ever been. That helps with the cravings.

Finances too. I just can’t right now. Plus, being an apartment dweller doesn’t really allow me to enjoy the amps at their best unless I’m rehearsing or gigging, which is never often enough for me.

In MY mind, I’ve been able to rein the cravings in reasonably well. To an outsider, having three tube amps in a one bedroom apartment is probably a little nuts.

gridlock and dreamingtele like this.
  11. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

I feel like I will until I can afford a ToneKing.... man, every time I hear one of those.

Fiesta Red and dreamingtele like this.
  12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

IMG_20191021_082529.jpg
    Amps are where it's at, especially if you're playing out.
    You want an amp you can crank in the joint you're playing.
    Mine range from a fistful of watts and an 8" speaker, to 40 watts and 4x10.
    There are no big room guitars.
    Guitars are sexy to hold and your friends who have no clue like them anyway, but if you really want to sound good...amps, baby.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

you guys. Dang. We have a Tone King dealer here!!!

i want the Sky King!!!

https://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/collections/tone-king/products/tone-king-sky-king-combo-black

if I sell my car, half of it can be used to purchase this, and i can just buy a small Toyota or a Honda Jazz.

oh but yes, I do have a one year old bub, we wont fit! Maybe I should sell my one year old bub too???

lol! But seriously, If I get this, id be super anxious gigging this one out!

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

i stayed away from buying amps. I like guitars more than pedals and amps.

and besides I was just using SS for the cleans and its all I can afford to gig out. Loud, consistent tone in any volume.

now I saw a REALLY good deal, and thought there was nothing better at that price, i jumped at the opportunity and now I dont think I can go back.

my pedals and guitars I’m pretty content at the moment. My next purchases are either expensive (ES330/White Falcon) or very customized Thinline P90 partscaster Tele. So those will take time.

i dont like breakup as I do love my pedals and use them for dirt so I want clean clean clean and big headroom but then we’re mic’ed at the venue. So pretty much any amp can do, but I just want that big headroom as most of the time I just play pure clean amp tone with reverb and no pedal engaged at all.

so yes, now, i understand. Amps is the biggest part of the equation in sounding good

15. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first tube amp was a Super Champ XD. Then a Blues Junior. Those are both gone now, one to a friend and one to my son. I went for a long time with only my Peavey Classic 50 twin, and recently added a Delta Blues, which I think is the same circuitry as the Classic 30, but with tremolo and a 15" speaker.

I'm pretty happy. I think the Peaveys offer a great bang for the buck. They sound good to me, they seem very reliable, and if they ever do poop out they won't cost much to replace.

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

The express 5:50+ is a great amp, I love mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

You should be able to pick up some DRRI now after all the used ones hit the market following the hype surrounding the Tone Master Deluxe and Twins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

For years I used a solid state Roland Jazz Chorus with a processor in front of it for guitar.

Then I got an Egnater Tweaker 40, thinking that its versatility would help me get whatever sounds I wanted. And it does. But it only sounds great at volumes higher than I can use in church.

So I started gassing for smaller amps. I've added a Mesa TA-15 for Vox sounds (it also does a pretty good BF Fender and of course a Mesa sound). And I got the EC Custom Shop Champ with the built in Trem and the attenuator for low volume gigs.

I've also added a harp train model 10 to my collection of harp amps.

Every time I start a new project I get GAS for some new thing that I hope will make that project better. Sometimes it's an amp, or a guitar, or a pedal.

Sometimes I win, sometimes I give in. If I ever move to a smaller house, I'll have to sell some gear.

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually got tube amp GAS after buying my first Solid State Amp many years ago when I was a teenager.

Back then, I bought a big SS Peavy 4x12 half stack to use with my first real band. I hated it, sold it at a loss a few weeks later, and bought a Marshall JMP half stack.

I’ve had Amp GAS ever since selling that JMP and probably owned at least 70+ amps since.

Proof of my Amp GAS below, purchased just two weeks ago.

0BCCFF8A-B5A5-4C93-971E-333102890FE6.jpeg

20. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

nope, no GAS for amps at all.

play music! fenderland.jpg gibsonland.jpg

Fiesta Red, teletimetx and chipwich like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.