Did you guys have Amp GAS after getting first tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Nov 22, 2019.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hi, I'm Stormsedge and I have GAS...it has been 3 days since my last MF purchase, 12 days since my last Reverb purchase, and 9 days since my last bicycle associated purchase (another time consuming acquisition affliction). Searching for the "right" item is beginning to eat into my practice time (which I sorely need)(and my ride time). Lately, I've begun waiting overnight before pulling the trigger, which has helped only because the item has been sold in the wee hours...but, that puts me back into the hunt. LOL, thankfully my Mustang mods are finished, er uh, except for a rear axle bearing replacement that would go really well with an upgraded posi, axles and a gear change. So many things to tinker with, so little time. Time to hunt for amp heads (for a 2x12 I do NOT even need). o_O Cheers!

Whatizitman and pugnax like this.
  2. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I'm going to memorize that line and use it at home next time I need to buy something. Thanks!

P Thought, mad dog and stormsedge like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Funny enough, I can probably credit the Line 6 Flextone I got new for my high school graduation for my GAS.

I had only had SS to that point, but it made me want to try all the amp models on there...and I didn’t think it was that good sounding so I was ready for tube after having it for a while.

stormsedge likes this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

No, I had the opposite experience. After I got my first tube amp it was almost 20 years before I got another. :)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I've had "G.A.S" since I first started playing in the late 70's. Amps, guitars, pedals, etc... Then I realized I only have "G.A.S" when I am looking for something.... a tone or a feel I am missing.

I have solved that problem and managed to keep it at bay for over a year now! Possibly it's because I have owned almost everything at one point or another over my career... and possibly because I have found something the keeps me completely satisfied ;)

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. My first tube amp was a Rivera-era Super Champ. I played only that for about 8 years, then picked up a Marshall 'cause I was getting drowned out by a friend's new amp. Stuck with just those two for around 25 years. Didn't get the amp GAS until about five years ago when I replaced my Marshall 'cause it was a loud boat anchor.

7. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I solved my "gas".....I ran out of money.

P Thought, Deathray and naveed211 like this.
  8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Go high end .. like a nice Mesa-Boggie Lone Star or similar .. Your Gas will stop

Owenmoney and schenkadere like this.
  9. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Forgive me guys for posting such a nonsense question. I guess to me, getting a tube amp of my own opened something that I thought, I would never be able to see/OR I’ve just stayed away because I thought, Id never be able to afford one of my own.

and now that I have, i can see how my budget skills put to work as I can spring at this level, BUT it will take a while if I want, lets say, A DRRI, or something like that.

while its true, maybe there’s something i’m looking for. I go into these phases of intense buying/selling until I stop and get exactly what I’m looking for, then I’m fine for a while. Be it pedals or guitars. But the addition of an amp into that equilibrium is getting me pumped up and excited as it disrupts my routine. Lol

stormsedge likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I was gassing for a smaller tube amp—my Vibroverb is by no means a “big” amp, but was super loud and too clean at lower volumes without an overdrive pedal.

Everything that floated my boat was too expensive, or not frasible (i.e., a small vintage amp that may or may not be in reliable electronic condition). I was seriously GAS-ing for a Tone King Falcon, which would be (realistically) a stupid financial move on my part—I don’t play enough to justify the cost.

But then I realized that I loved my 63RIVV, except that one thing (did not break up), so I invested in a Dr. Z’s Brake Lite attenuator...

It has worked as advertised and made me happier than a pig in mud...now, the GAS is gone

black_doug likes this.
  11. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I’m in an amp stage now. I got my little 5w sounding so good that it made me hungry. Fortunately or unfortunately I don’t have the funds to indulge. Totally GASing for a JC-22.

12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

My first tube amp was my first amp, also a Peavey Vintage (same line as the Classic, but it was initially called the vintage) - it was a 2x12 and either 50 or 60 watts. This was in about 1979 or 1980 - I got it used for roughly no money at all. It was a great sounding amp, but it was LOUD and only sounded it's best played loud. Which at that point in my life was rarely a problem. It was also HEAVY and that when was I was a strapping young fellow of about 20, so for it to seem heavy then, it must have really been heavy. I hauled it all over the place anyway - I was playing out all the time in those days. Today, I wouldn't have anywhere to play anything that loud or be able to get it there if I did.

I didn't have GAS for anything in those days. I was so happy to have a strat and that amp and I was too busy learning to play to care that much about anything but a good basic sounding amp. Since then, my basic tonal preferences haven't changed much, if at all. I've had a few tube amps, all smaller and lighter. Had a Blues Jr for many years, a Bugera V5 for a while. Now I have a Blackstar HT1R, which I guess is only partially tube, but I'm not really sure. It's a good little bedroom amp that I take when we head south to a tiny rental each winter. At home, I have a Blues Cube Hot, all solid state and as good sounding an amp as I've ever had, and the best sounding low volume amp I've ever had, which is what my situation today calls for. The HT1R is also good at low volume (and really ONLY good at low volume, being 1 watt), but I think the solid state Blues Cube is a better sounding amp at any volume, so it's my #1 and all I play about 9 months of the year.

Since low volume will probably be my reality for the rest of my life, I don't really have GAS for anything anymore. I love what I have. If it dies before I do, I'll probably get something else along the same lines. Maybe Fender will have a Princeton tone-master by then. It's also gotta be fairly small...

-Ray

dreamingtele likes this.
  13. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

IMG_20181130_142916.jpg I've had a number of solid state amps.

But I discovered tube amps when I purchased my Neilybob (Orange Jim Root Terror) which is modelled on a Rockerverb head. Love this to pieces and have promised myself to never part ways with it.

Last year I had an Evilbay accident and purchased this Jack Daniel's branded Peavey Classic 30 JD30-T. It's amazing.

So now I have one amp that does nice cleans and vintage rock tones and the other that can do clean but prefers gain, and lots of it. Gives me a good spectrum of tone.

Looking to grab an A B Y pedal and play these two together soon.

I did really GAS after an Evil Robot amp for ages but a friend managed to subside that GAS for me. Still fancy an amp with 6L6s one day. Maybe a PRS MT15.

IMG_20190903_124531.jpg

dreamingtele and P Thought like this.
  14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the quest ended with methodical choices

jtm45
    jtm50(Black flag spec'd)
    jmp 50 2204

73 Pro Reverb
    74 Super Reverb
    Super Reverb

Bug V22

Marshall VM 2266 w/matching 425a cab..the amp that can pull all of those others off live. amazing amp

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Not really. I had a couple of nice “high end” amps. A 5-50 Express Plus Boogie and a Victoria 2-EL84 Victoriette and then I played the Mesa California Tweed (the subject of another thread here). Maybe it should stop, but not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. kgreenman21

kgreenman21 NEW MEMBER!

What's this GAS you speak of? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have pretty bad amp GAS right now, but it's not because of tubes, in particular. I'm not jonesing for amps because they are tube or not tube. It's just that I've learned - one good guitar and a few nice amps is more "versatile" than one good amp and a zillion guitars.

P Thought likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was very content with my first SS amp ... until I played a buddy's Fender Twin.
    I've never gone back to SS since.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess the GAS started before my first tube amp, but at the time virtually all SS amps sucked and tube amps were heavy, expensive and the ones in my price range were unreliable.
    But I shopped smart and got a BF Bandmaster and 2x12 with a DOD250 for $150, and that amp ran pretty well for years, blew up a tube and I replaced just the one power tube with a totally different 6L6 tube from Radio Shack.

Now though, SS amps sound great, and tube amps are cheaper and not all beat to hell in my price range.
    And yeah, I want more tube amps...

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There probably isn’t a guy in here who hasn’t gassed for a collection of Fender, Marshall, Vox amps.

neilybob100, stevemc and Lawdawg like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.