Did you guys have Amp GAS after getting first tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dreamingtele, Nov 22, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I have it bad. I just got my first tube amp, a Peavey Classic 30, not too long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

constantly looking at marketplaces on the next one. its like a whole new world opened to me. Now its not just about the next Tele, but what speakers, tubes to put in, or basically whats the next amp I’m gonna have.

But good thing is, I’m not gassing for low watt amps, but the bad thing is, 30-40 watts and up, are all expensive! Lol.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

No, I had it before getting my first tube amp. That’s why I got the amp.... A Peavey Classic 30 BTW.

Then I sold that when I found a low powered Victoria. Then the condition worsened. Then I came here and the condition turned terminal, and this is apparently my hospice care.

Those Peaveys are nice little amps. When I got mine, the only competition was Crate at the price point with any quality of sound. There are more competitors today, but that is still a classic value and great tones to be had.

neilybob100 likes this.
  3. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

No but I’m having some major Tele GAS after seeing your tele...hot damn!
    But seriously, after I bought my first tube amp about 4 years ago, I’ve owned 10-12 of them, I cannot stop. I thought I was good after buying a Traynor YCV-20, but nope...It just sold yesterday, and now I’m on the hunt for another. Looking at some Mesa Boogies. The Express 5:50 or the TA-30. Exciting times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenmoney and bender66 like this.
  4. dreamingtele

Yes thats true, there are a bit more competitors today, but at this pricepoint and power output, I dont think there’s anything i can get better?

i want clean headroom, i use the amp as a pedal platform. It sounds really nice.

i want a BF fender, cleans. But I cannot afford a DRRI, or any of the more famous fender amps. I need at least 20w to gig with and have clean headroom without breaking up.

so i got this. And I thought id be done. But no, its worse

Greggorios and Telecastoff1 like this.
  5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I started with a horrible solidstate....thing when I was 15 (well, my parents had no idea about amps and we're peaking of 1983, there weren't that much options); my second ever amp was solidstate, too, but with a bearable cleantone and I got myself some nice dirtpedals.
    Then in the 90s I went for a rack which included a tube poweramp. It sounded nice, but was horrble to drag around.
    So then I went for a small combo and I think I was VERY lucky, because my second tube-combo already provided me with the tone I was longing for.
    If I count correctly, this was my 6th amp I ever bought (8 years ago) and it's still the one I use for gigs. I bought a second one, but only for home and as a backup in case of breakdown of my main amp.

Had to edited for honesty: of course, I'd like to try and buy other amps allday long, but then my parents probably did something right and I usually ask myself loud enough if I really NEED another amp.....

6. dreamingtele

thank you sir. Its my holy grail. Avri62. Took me years to find a number 2 with the same feel and build quality. A Fender Japan 62ri with AV64 pickups.

im okay with tele’s for now unless I can get my hands on a thinline p90. But amp gas is real now. Lol

[​IMG]

mkdaws32, P Thought and WingedWords like this.
  7. dreamingtele

like you, i only ever bought SS amps mainly because of the price, secondly because of the cleans. No break up at any volume, consistent and good pedal platform.

i have borrowed tube amps before but only if I can borrow and can use it for gigs.

But now I have my own, and used it the first time in a gig last week, I’m hooked. Its like, my tone feels organic, alive, if you will.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Not really. I bought my first amp when tubes were, well just ordinary in 1973 or so. Wem Westminster IX.
    20190809_123631.jpg

I had a few bigger non valve amps since then, but all gone now and this little Wem does me nicely. Recently serviced and with luck will see me out.

Edit: to be honest I have thought about something small and tweedy "just in case". But then someone posts a light blue Tele, thanks dreamingtele, and the amp GAS goes out...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    mkdaws32 and danlad like this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No.

Actually I had solid-state GAS a while after because I was playing mostly bass and the Bassman wasn't loud enough with a loud drummer.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My first amp was tube. Santa left it under the tree Christmas 1967. A brand new blackface Vibro Champ.

i was a little disappointed. I wanted a Bandmaster.

I survived.

11. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Are you kidding?

:)

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Violent, unstoppable GAS. My first hybrid tube amp was followed by my main current amp (64 BF Tremolux), then by a tweed champ, then now by an old relic of an amp (a 1946 Epiphone Zephyr) and now I’m still hankering for a big-ish tweed like a 15” Pro. At that point, I guess I’ll have had my fill. Although you know what collection is complete without Deluxes…?

13. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Yes

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I just got back into tube amps after playing thru one at a music night. I'd had them years ago but had used ss amps for ages for reliability and weight. So I bought a little Laney Cub 12r - 15w thru a 12" speaker. I'm really liking the sounds and feel and it keeps up with our noisy drummer.

I did buy a second as backup as they're not expensive. That's probably my amp Gas sorted for a long time. Which is just as well because my back doesn't like heavy gear and we don't have much storage space at home.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just got a Deluxe after three years through my Ethos OD preamp and while the Deluxe is better, the Ethos isn’t far behind it. The only amps I had while on the road BF Fenders. So I knew what I was missing so GASSING for the Deluxe became epic.

16. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the Peaveys are great.
    Here's mine:

Peavey-Classic-30.jpg

Hiker, neilybob100 and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

7ED17FCC-5E56-4641-A45C-ED83B60C0D5D.jpeg No tube amp GAS after my Fender Pro Junior IV. It’s probably my last tube amp since I’m quite happy with my other two solid state amps.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  18. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Hahaha, it never goes away. You think it does, but it tricks you. Two days ago I was blind-sided by a pair of Fender tube amps.....completely stock '77 and '78 Fender Musicmaster Bass amps. The fellow owes me a little money and presented these to me to cover his debt. Nice little amps in great condition and don't sound half bad. And I don't even like little amps. I'm on the fence about this, time will tell if I keep these or flip them.

Whatizitman likes this.
  19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've had amp gas bad for decades. It's thematic ... there's the 1x15 theme, the excellent, tube like SS amp theme ... the 6v6 theme ... the octal pre-amp theme, and more. More than gas, it's really deep curiosity that widens as my musical experience and listening go further.

bftfender likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My first tube amp was an oahu. Had from grade school on.
    Forgot about it when girls and football took over.
    Actually now I have a newer supro that is like that old Oahu:)

Hiker, Hatfield92 and pugnax like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.