Did You Grow Up Without a TV Remote?

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Yeah - I was the remote, for my parents and older sibs, I was always nominated to get up and change the channel hah. Remotes were just starting to become available when I went off to college.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
On one hand, I started the thread to comment on WIFI connected thermostats and just used the TV Remote as a comparison. On the other hand, a straight up thermostat thread would have fizzled after half a dozen comments.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A man tells his buddy he should come over to the house - - he has something amazing to show him

The friend arrives and he's led to the den. He's shown a strange device. Suddenly, the television comes on by itself. Then, the channel changes. The friend looks alarmed, then a little angry. What's wrong?, his buddy asks.

I don't even know what to say, the friend says. It's a terrible world when a man is so lazy he can't tell his wife to get up and change the channel.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
First remote I saw was as an adult in a motel on a business trip. Much later that we got one at home~After the kids were grown. They brought us a vcr/tv combo so we could all watch the Grinch at Christmas time.

bigbreak

Tele-Holic
Yes, but it didn't matter much. There were only five channels. The three networks, Public Broadcasting and WGN. You can't miss something you've never had.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
We had a small B&W TV until I was 16. Out of the blue, my father came home one day with a big color TV with a remote. I almost fell over.

There was a very hinky story about a good deal and somebody going out of business that I was smart enough to not question too closely.
6B529F8D-6979-4E58-B81F-4BAEB1B3072F.gif

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
my dad brought home a funky bw tv (big though for then) and we fixed it and it had a clicker (mechanical device no batteries) that thing was pretty cool BUT, I did learn a way to whistle at that tv that also changed the channel. When it was my sister's turn for the remote, I'd change it back to three stooges and she would be dumfounded (and upset) after 3 or 4 times she'd usually stomp out of the room furious and in tears... some proud 9 year old moments.

Often, I'd then feel bad and call her back in and beg and then we'd watch like Dick Cavett or something interviewing Jimi Hendrix or a Cowsill or something.