Did You Grow Up Without a TV Remote?

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
It's just a function of age, so no, we didn't have a remote.

I remember when we got a color TV, that was a huge deal. Probably around '66. I was only three and I remember it was really expensive.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Here's what else: we subscribed to TV Guide, so we knew in advance what was on which channel, what was the story, who were the guest stars, and whether (not that it made a difference to us) it was in color. Color shows on NBC always opened with that peacock, which wasn't very impressive on our black-and-white set.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Me to a kid born after the 2000’s

“When I was a kid we only had 60 channels!”

“And in my teens Dial up internet!.. oh no!”

“The phones were connected to the wall!..the WALL!”

Times sure are a changing and faster than they used to, dang technology

At least I can still somewhat relate to most of you guys

I’m not mocking anyone I’m just upset I missed those times and genuinely like to hear these recollections

It occurred to me reading this thread that television is an older technology now than automobiles were when we got our first TV.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I did . . . but now I can save myself 10 steps (round trip) to change the thermostat.

I would not have bought one of these for myself, but my sister-in-law gave us one. If your phone GPS is always on, it will learn your routine and default to custom 'home and away' temperature settings.

(I'm drawing the line at voice control, however).

View attachment 935255
I remember having to get up to turn the dial. It was the most positive, hard turning click ever. We had changed 2,4,5,7, and for some reason 21. This was in SF Bay Area. I haven't warmed up to smart control devices in my house yet.

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
Our first remote control arrived when we got cable. This would have been 1985ish. The remote had a cord that stretched across the room:

upload_2022-1-2_21-39-23.jpeg

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
My first encounter with a remote was on a family vacation. We stopped at a motel for the night, got Chinese carryout and settled in to watch tv. It was pretty frustrating; everyone wanted control of the remote and could not stick with one show for even 2 min:rolleyes:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup.
My Dad fixed TVs.
We got our first, an Admiral B&W (all there was) he fixed that someone abandoned, circa 1961.
I was about 4 years old.
Remote controls did not exist, so I, being the oldest was the remote.
I’d get up and change channels whenever asked.
My Dad fixed TVs, and virtually everything else “electric” till 5 years before his passing at age 75.
I remember when color TV shows were a new, exciting, and rare thing.
TVs were often (seemingly) big, console like things that dominated the living room, usually directly across from the couch.
Ancient history.

Last edited:

ellielo

TDPRI Member
We had a huge (not flat) TV when I was little. First one was probably without a remote but second one my dad brought one day had a remote. That was a huge thing for the whole family! :) Now I even can use my firestick remotely using my phone as written here. Very convenient feature.

Last edited:

guitarmikey

Tele-Afflicted
Yup!
And invented a sort of, for my tube radio, letting me to start/shut off the radio, from a wired switch…
that radio was also my first tube amp ever! Had a turntable contained, so I simply used those cartridge connectors for gtr input…

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Yeh! Valve tellies with two roto-dials. One for VHF, one for UHF. Inside aerials which were FFFA when it came getting a signal in a heavily built up area. If you had a telly with push-button channel selectors, you'd made it! And if you got a colour one, when they arrived, you were the envy of the neighbourhood!

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I grew up without TV - slow to reach rural Ireland!
My relations in the Hebrides were the same. TV didn't really hit there until around '68 and they only got one clear channel: Grampian, which was an independent franchise granted by the then IBA. BBC 1 was barely viewable; BBC2 was just noise.

Though telephony was networked to rural communities, not everyone had a 'phone. Those that did had a 'phone with no dial: you picked up the receiver and the 'phone automatically rang until an operator answered.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I left home in 1980 and there was no television in the house. We were married almost 4 years before we bought one ourselves.

I'm not anti tv,just I grew up without one and never really got the habit,even today.

Computers,now there's another thing. ;)
I never watch h TV now. If anyone recommends anything to watch, I usually ignore it. But if I find it interesting, I'll buy it on blu-ray