Did You Grow Up Without a TV Remote?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No remote. Barely had a picture on B&W with lines running through it..

Nahtabot

Tele-Holic
Yup. Curtis Mathis console. 25" ish. That thing lasted an incredibly long time.

I used to watch Johnny Carson and The Benny Hill Show with my Dad.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
With only three channels, there was little need for a remote. Heck for my first eight years there was only one channel - we only got NBC, I guess my dad didn't want to bother with a better antenna.

Yep, three channels. That's what we had. And two of them carried the same network.

But we were quick to install space-age (i.e. mid-sixties) technology on our roof: an antenna with a motorized mast. You turned the dial on the appliance and the motor positioned the antenna to the sweet spot for the desired channel.

Still, we usually got snow on at least one of the three channels.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
no remote, black & white. no live TV except for local new, weather, and talk shows. all the national network programming came up on film and tape to be re-broadcast. AK got live TV in about 1968

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I sure do. I remember having to jiggle the UHF knob to improve the reception.

My grandparents had one of these bad boys. Best part about these was when the TV eventually broke down you could use it as a stand for your next TV.

4068b6bd119f9e9a43f9bd33b107fcf2.jpg

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
B&W and no remote on out first tube TV...

My auntie who lived up country had this flash TV that had a remote on a long cable, you could push a button and it would do a channel search and flash through all the channel lights on the set... like watching lift numbers go up and down... there was probably 2 or 3 channels that they could get. we used to get in trouble for working it all the time...

but She had the most space age 60's TV I'd ever seen.... and it was hers, bought from money she earned picking beans, ginger and other local produce. She loved to mention that...:D

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I still remember when we would go gaze in awe through Douglas Bruce Knox Spaghetti's window at their fancy new moving picture box. I was 5 or 6 when we finally got one- only 3 channels then, but somehow it seems like there was more to watch than there is now. No remote, of course; I lived most of my adult life without a TV, finally saw my first remote somewhere in my late 50's. Now the blasted thing wants me to TALK to it, of all things. Not gonna happen, I don't even like talking to myself.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
With three channels to choose from, a remote wasn't really needed. If I was in the room, I was the remote.

~1982 saw my parents make a TV purchase with a remote in order to use Teletext & Ceefax.

I didn't have a TV with a remote until ~2001

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
Up in Big Hollow, we only got one station and only at night well into the 70s. No remote, B&W, and we hardly ever watched it. Played cards, read books, found other things to do.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
We had a state of the art Zenith console tv that had a button on the front that would scroll to the next available channel. Not totally convenient but a premium feature nonetheless. In the back it had a dial to turn manually which would do the same thing. One time one of my sisters was so lazy that she didn’t want to get up to the change the channel so she threw a marble trying to hit the button on the front of the tv. It broke the button and my dad was super pissed that all we could do was change the channel with the dial on the back from then on. I always thought that it was kinda funny.