Did You Grow Up Without a TV Remote?

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
My uncle had a remote in 1967. I experimented by trying it in the kitchen, down the hall, standing backwards, etc. My aunt later tried to use it, but needed to reset it for some reason.

A different uncle owned a couple of small planes. I went into one and messed with the radio. Then, yikes, my aunt's voice came through, "hello? hello?"

My grandmother had a starter's pistol, left behind by someone renting a garage. My cousin Dennis got hold of it and kept it in the glove compartment of his car. One evening, he went to someone's house to sell him some life insurance. Bored, I found the pistol and took it completely apart. As it became dark, I had trouble putting it back together, but Dennis was cool about it. Always had fun when Dennis was in town.
wow... are those stories.. really true.. like your Grandmothers voice coming thru on the plane radio?.. was she a Ham radio operator?...

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
wow... are those stories.. really true.. like your Grandmothers voice coming thru on the plane radio?.. was she a Ham radio operator?...
as far as the pistol story.. this buddy of mine did the same thing when he was growing up.. he was born in the 40's and was 15 years older than me.. but he told me around 1948 he took apart the family piano.. and could not figure out how to get it back together,,, his dad gave him a beating for that....

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
On one hand, I started the thread to comment on WIFI connected thermostats and just used the TV Remote as a comparison. On the other hand, a straight up thermostat thread would have fizzled after half a dozen comments.
hmm.. well if it helps... I could say.. that my tele.. kinda reminds me of my tv....lol

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Yeah, my aunt heard me on the radio setup in the house. The whole family flew. One niece supposedly was the youngest pilot with a license for a brief time. They owned a wheat ranch in eastern Washington, and used airplanes to run errands.

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
One of us kids would get up turn the knob to whatever channel the old man wanted then hold the knob just right while the other would tape it in position with scotch tape. When that television went out the old man bought another one just like it and ten 39cent rolls of tape.
ha ha.. that is funny.....

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
Yeah, my aunt heard me on the radio setup in the house. The whole family flew. One niece supposedly was the youngest pilot with a license for a brief time. They owned a wheat ranch in eastern Washington, and used airplanes to run errands.
wow nice.......

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
was Great Britain.. that far behind the States technology wise in the 60's?.... I think by the '70 s ...shows were coming thru ok right?...
Up in the remote islands, yes, it was. Even down in the central belt I don't think we got colour TV until '68/'69. I remember a nearby family got one and all us kids went around to watch colour TV for the first time. Remotes? They were your children!!

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
ha.. no kidding right?... glad I got my exercise in as a kid changing the channels manually.. pedaling my bike up hills with no shift change on my bike.. and walking to and from school a mile each way.. on those winter days with snow up to my knees helped also....
Don't get me started... Same cousin has an electric bike. He lives in a part of the country where it's flat.
I grew up in an area called the High Peak. Same circumstances as your's. Cycled everywhere until I got my driving licence, hills everywhere, deep snow in winter, four miles to school.
No internet, no mobile phones, no TAB, no guitar tuner.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
In the words of the great writer and comedian Lewis Grizzard speaking about remote controls... "I can't imagine a man, so damn lazy that he can't tell his wife to get up and change the channel".

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I am Not even sure what Teletext and Ceefax is or was.. and I was an adult by then..hmmm... wow that must have been tough Not having a remote until 2001... I think Ive had one since 1982......or 1984.. that's when I started recording with a VCR...

Ceefax & Teletext were text information services broadcast along with the main programme. If your TV didn't have a decoder, it made no difference to the picture. You'd have access to news, weather, travel, 'jokes' and with the advent of the BBC micro and its Teletext adaptor, you could view it on your computer!. The BBC Micro had a special screen mode that was perfect for creating such pages too, and both it and the later iteration, the Master, were extensively used for creating the pages, and running timetabling display software for train and bus stations. There's more to it than that, but that's the basics.

We got colour TV sometime in the mid 70's. I remember watching the Moon Rover footage from the final Apollo mission on a white Melamin clad B&W TV. It looked, legs included, rather like the little Ibanez amp.

I'm not an avid watcher of television. When our analogue services were terminated, and we moved to Freeview ( digital tv ), the need for a remote became apparent. Now, with the DVD player, Android set top box, DAC and games consoles, I have too many remotes -and a unifying remote will not control all of them-

First world problems eh?

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
Don't get me started... Same cousin has an electric bike. He lives in a part of the country where it's flat.
I grew up in an area called the High Peak. Same circumstances as your's. Cycled everywhere until I got my driving licence, hills everywhere, deep snow in winter, four miles to school.
No internet, no mobile phones, no TAB, no guitar tuner.
yeah life is a lot better.. now.. irony is now I have car I don't go to school .. it would have been nice to have that when I was still In school.. I got my first reliable car about the time I graduated...then I started buying guitars.. that summer.. and started practicing..a buddy of mine had a Crate amp for his bass... and the amp had a tuner selection on it I thought that was pretty cool.. but I started buying micro tuners years ago.. and always kept an extra battery in my gig bag.. when we were out gigging..

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
My uncle would have me stand next to the TV while he would yell out, 'turn it, turn it.....'. I was the remote.

Big_Ger

Tele-Meister
I've got 3 remotes. One for the TV, one for the DVD player and one for the cable. I can never tell which is which and when I do work it out I can't read the buttons so I have to get up and put the "big light" on...

OneHorsePony

TDPRI Member
Yup. Late 70s, no remote: If anyone got up to change the channel there was always someone who got angry. Early 80s, huge cable box with 18(?) buttons: I couldn't deal with everyone wanting to watch other shows so stopped watching TV entirely. This coincided with my first electric guitar...