Did You Grow Up Without a TV Remote?

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I did . . . but now I can save myself 10 steps (round trip) to change the thermostat.

I would not have bought one of these for myself, but my sister-in-law gave us one. If your phone GPS is always on, it will learn your routine and default to custom 'home and away' temperature settings.

(I'm drawing the line at voice control, however).

upload_2021-12-31_16-9-23.png

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
No remote. No color until New Year’s Eve 1985. That’s when we got a 13” Panasonic. I’d won a VCR in a school Christmas raffle. My old man declared that there was no way he was watching movies on a black and white TV. So out went the 11” Panasonic B&W.

These days I have a 50” 1080P. With a remote. But I still only have one TV in the house. And I’ve still never had cable. In my life. Although I do have several streaming services now.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
We were pre-remote, even pre-television. I recall the day the RCA black and white console television arrived at our house, early 1950s. We were among the first of our relatives, my parents’ friends, and neighbors who had a television. Mom and dad got a color television in 1970 or so.

I have memories of listening to radio shows. Gunsmoke, Boston Blackie, Jack Benny, etc.

Last edited:

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Definitely no remote. I remember when we got our first color TV in 68. No remote. It was an RCA and we had a new multidirectional antenna on the roof. When ever a channel didn't come in good we'd just dial it in until it was less fuzzy.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I was jealous of the neighbors remote. “Ka-chunk, ka-chunk-ka-chunk-ka-chunka-chunk” (they were mechanical). For a sub-total of 4! Channels 2,4,7, and 9.
Unless you went over to the UHF side. From there you could add 20, 50 and 57. A virtual wild west of teevee programming. Cartoons, monster movies, Sesame street or local programming.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I was a kid in the 1960's and If I remember correctly, we has 2 TV's both B&W- no remotes.
We had like an 11" one upstairs in our formal living room, along with Stereo console.
Downstairs in the Rec Room a larger B&W.

In 1971 my dad finally got our first color TV- A Motorola 'Quasar' - which was awesome, but no remote.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
We had three remotes in our house. Me and my two brothers. I think we got a no remote color TV when Hurricane Agnes (1972) turned our street into part of the Susquehanna River. HUD came through, looked at your ruined belongings and cut checks promptly.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Our household fought over this monstrosity in the early 80s. I used to poke around in its innards with a Phillips head screwdriver and try dialing in the scrambled adult channels after my folks went to bed. :twisted:

EXGTaZfWoAQ1I2D.png
Yep! I finally took an electronics class in high school to figure out how to build a de-scrambler box like one of my friends had built…it worked, but my dad said that it was stealing and the box disappeared.