Did you go to your senior prom?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Mar 18, 2013.

Did you go to your senior prom?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2013.
  1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Can't remember that far back

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. High school is for losers

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Sure, this was '67, just pre-hippy. Took Dad's '62 Caddy, put on my rented baby blue tux, did dinner and the prom, then partied all night out at the San Pedro River, where all the poor were just getting up and heading out to beat their clothes on rocks...

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. 1983. Sported a mullet and a white tux with tails.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went to three. The first was my junior prom, it was disastrous. I went with my girlfriend, who I was totally head over heels for, and she dumped me at the dance. Totally blindsided me. Never saw it coming. The upside was, my best friend who went to school across town was there, with a totally platonic date, another friend of ours. So they grabbed two more buddies, and the five of us ditched the dance, and spent the rest of the weekend just driving around west Texas hanging out and having a good time. It definitely softened the blow.

My senior prom was excellent. Went with my girlfriend, and it was everything it was supposed to be. The next year we went to HER senior prom, and it was equally fun.

Every year I thought about not going, so glad I did. It's an experience everybody should have. I don't know anybody who skipped theirs who doesn't regret it.

4. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I went to the wrong prom...

I missed my 1969 Carroll HS prom. (Corpus Christi, TX.) I was busy that night. My band played at the prom of our cross town rival, Ray HS.
    So, I guess I went to a prom, just not mine...

Mark

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I finished HS in 3 years, so I didn't get to that point.

The girl I would have asked had done the same.

I chose "loser" because it was the least incorrect choice; I had 3 great years.

6. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

I took a GED and enlisted in the Air Force in January of my senior year. By the time Prom came around, I had done Basic and Medical Fundamentals, and was in X-Ray School.

7. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Could have gone to my grade 12 prom but blew it off to work. Could have gone to my grade 13 (this was Ontario Canada, '70s) but blew it off to party with the boys. We crashed the post prom parties that night and partied until dawn. Spent part of my night in a barn with some girl doing unspeakable things. No regrets on any count.

Took my girlfriend (now wife) to her prom a few years later. Didn't enjoy the event at all, but being with her was great. No regrets here either.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I got in big, big trouble for not taking my two girlfriends to the prom (different schools). Boy, they were mad. I told the first one that I couldn't afford it, then a few days later bought a Maestro fuzz tone from a guy for $20. "I thought you didn't have any money." Oops. I also turned down another girl who asked. I was sort of taken by surprise. I wish I had accepted, as I know how difficult it must have been to ask. But I was incredibly about me, me, me.

My high school bands played a lot of proms. In the early 70s, those paid about $250, as opposed to $150 that was the norm for after game dances. The students looked absolutely ridiculous, with the baby blue tuxes with hugh collars, and girls with several pounds of hair sculpted into place high on their heads. We were such pros by that time, that we knew not to play too many fast songs, as the girls had to keep their heads perfectly straight so that the hair didn't tip over and become unraveled.

One of my bands from that era is currently making a website for us. Just last night, I found a list of gigs that we had played back then. I am trying to sort through some boxes, looking for photos. I'll have to do some google searches to see if there are any photos (in the yearbook?) of our band playing at these. I guess the timing isn't right, though, as the proms are usually in the last spring, weeks if not days before the yearbooks come out.

We always had to play the theme song of the prom. The only one I remember is "Old-Fashioned Love Song."

9. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I went but took a lot of grief because my girlfriend went to a rival school and I went to that one.

10. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

No, it was 1963 and I had pre-enlisted in the military before graduation. I was wearing a uniform and had more important things to be concerned with.

11. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I left home when I was 15, managed to stay in (various) school(s) until Easter break of my Junior year. Got my GED in January of what was supposed to be my senior year. By coincidence I happened to run into a bunch of my former classmates in Reynosa Mexico that were there celebrating their graduation. That was pretty cool.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Our 'Senior Prom' up here in the cold North was just more like a graduation dance, so everyone went to that, and then we had all sorts of private parties after the dance, the type of parties I'd be recommending kids not to attend, now that I'm way old. Drinking & driving, all the risks we took. Man! Everyone is indestructible at that age. Until someone you know destructs.

I'd never want to relive that part of my life.

13. sink

sink Tele-Meister

Yep, the future Ms. Sink and I went in my parent's Caddy, had a fancy dinner, went to the dance, then...went somewhere and hung out. It was a good night. Except for the part where she somehow got mono over the next few days. Not from me though, I never got it.

14. sass35011

sass35011 Tele-Meister

I didn't go either. No girlfriend at the time, so no interest.

15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I didn't go because I had to work flipping burgers at the time.

Went to a hell of a party after I got off, though.

It seems like everyone I talk to has the same experience: after the prom was much better than the prom itself.

16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Had to play for mine.

Tom

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I had two girls on my arm, being a musician and everything.

But I only went for about 20 minutes. I went to the bathroom, met the connection the next stall over and split, onto greener pastures in the night....

musicians.jpg

18. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Nope I didn't want to go.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

oops

20. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Almost didn't go due to financial issues until some older cousins heard about it, strongly encouraged me to go as its' "once in a lifetime" event, and took up a collection to defray the expense($94/person in 1994).

Girl I wanted to ask turned me down and I ended up going stag with a few other friends. In the course of the prom, one buddy and I managed to sneak a female friend in who was defrauded with what turned out to be a fake ticket, had an extremely average meal for the New York Plaza Hotel), and turned out I ended up dancing with that girl and her female friend for the rest of the night.

All in all...had a good time and everyone was unusually nice to everyone else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.