Did You Get a Call...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:03 PM.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

From your new "Gear Advisor" at Musicians Friend?

Since I don't answer numbers I don't recognize, I let it go on by.

A few minutes later I get this BS Email.

Hello TC!

This is Taylor, your Gear Advisor with MF. I just tried contacting you to see how I can assist you with the purchase of your next piece of gear. I want to make sure you have easy access to all of our exciting new products and look forward to custom tailoring them to your needs.

I know I can be a great asset to you and would love to speak with you about what’s next on your list. I will follow up again by phone soon. I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Thanks!

Taylor Lehman
    Gear Advisor,
    Phone: +1 (219) 370-3874
    Email: taylor.lehman@musiciansfriend.com

I sent back a rather blunt reply inviting her to never call me again.

bcorig likes this.
  2. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

I would have done that, except it does my heart good to see someone desperate for my attention.

3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Sweetwater has been doing this for years. Every purchase I make, I get a follow-up call. And I try not to be cynical about it; I try to see the charming, old-timey, main street, customer forward side of it. But in the end it's just another way to get me to spend. Amazon does it through low prices and free shipping. Sweetwater (and now MF I guess) does it through connections.

4. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And a lady, no less

soundchaser59 likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

I actually like talking to my Sweetwater rep. He's a good guy, and if I don't want to talk at the moment I don't pick up. He doesn't call over and again, just to check that orders are okay and on occasion to see what I am up to and whether I need anything from him.

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I bet youre a wonderful thrilling guy to hang around.

LAPlayer, bcorig and Mr Gunny like this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

yea.... Sweetwater does it.... guessing MF has to do it too to keep up

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I almost ordered a V30 from MF a couple of hours ago. For some reason my local store has been having problems finding them lately. Sweetwater has them on backorder

Like you I don't answer numbers i don't recognize. And I really dislike sales calls

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

I got that call. I was busy at work and blew him off. No big deal. Salesmen have to try to make sales. I have no problem with them or Sweetwater guys calling me. Zzounds called about a PRS Starla SE I contacted them about. Said if I buy it outright they'd give me 10% off. I said why not and its on the way.

Flat6Driver, Jakedog and CajunJ like this.
  10. 1revcapps

1revcapps TDPRI Member

If you’ve been on the sales side of things you know it’s always hit or miss. These people know most people will ignore them but hold out hope one will respond. I appreciate their efforts as one who has been in sales most of my career.

11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The kid is just doing her job and might actually be of some assistance in the future. I used to treat cold callers terribly until I realized that’s a human being on the other end of the line that could be my daughter or son who needs any job they can get (particularly now) to make ends meet. (My son was laid off due to the Pandemic - I hope he’s treated well).
    I ask: why not just respond , “Thanks for contacting me, currently my gear needs are satisfied but I’ll keep you in mind”?
    Sweetwater doesn’t cold call like that but, when I was building my pedalboard, Ian was of great assistance to me getting the equipment I needed in a timely fashion. And at a price I already knew was pretty good. And then he threw in 6 patch cables to boot. If I see “Fort Wayne, Indiana” on my phone I’ll answer and if he asks if there’s anything else I need I’ll be polite and tell him “no”.
    Why not?
    Simply pitching someone to the curb seems cruel to me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    Flat6Driver, stevemc, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I was selling I left enough of my cards at at a guy's office to burn forty acres of green alfalfa. Finally I saw him drive up to his house one day and went up to the door and kept knocking on the door until he finally came to the door. After we talked for a while he finally decided to give me a chance at his business and he ended up being a client for more than ten years. Being a salesman ain't easy. It ain't as hard as hauling iron though. That's what kept me going.

13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ha! One afternoon I was on I-15 to Las Vegas and Ian from Sweetwater called to ask how I liked my strings and I engaged him in a 15 minute conversation-poor guy, you could tell he needed to get off the phone but I just kept yapping away.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  14. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I work in sales also, so I’m probably more open and less defensive on the idea of being “sold” than some. You can always just ignore them until you need them. We’re used to it.

15. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yeah, I always thought the sweetwater thing was odd, but when I actually email "the guy" I always get a deal, even on stuff I never expected to get a deal on.

stevemc, Jakedog and bcorig like this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Next they'll start including a small bag of stale candy with every order.

bcorig likes this.
  17. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I had actually never ordered anything from Sweetwater until just a couple of days ago. I was a little surprised to get the follow up check in from a sales guy. I work for myself and make sales calls so I know how hard sales work can suck, but I still couldn’t bring myself to reply. Just send me the strings please.

18. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like MF is trying to be Sweetwater. Too little too late, boys. :lol::lol::lol:

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been pretty much done with buying gear especially new, but Mrs. Obsessed has some sort of relationship with her SW rep, still gets the Pro Gear catalog and still gets coupons from MF. I get the leftovers.:rolleyes:

20. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I got that call, yesterday. From a new person...

I don't mind, but, it's really too late for me and MF. A few years back, I had to explain to the rep what a pedalboard was. And had to spell it for her. That drove me to Sweetwater, and I am a happy customer to this day -- still deal with the same rep, and the rep knows what's up.

This year, I tried to purchase again from MF. Another very negative experience with someone who didn't know, didn't care, LoL, it was like I'd phoned a car lot! High pressure, but couldn't answer a question about the instrument except by reading the same website copy I was looking at. Had to buy it to answer the question myself, and had to return 'cause the answer was "No."

Once, in the early 00's, the Musician's Friend CEO called me about a PA deal, that was having fulfillment difficulty during the period that they were expanding to a new warehouse in the midwest. It was reassuring to know that someone, at the top, cared. I wasn't complaining and I hadn't asked for special attention, (I ain't Karen), and was totally cool with the back and forth I was having with the reps, we were good. He just took it upon himself to let me know it was gonna get right -- and it did. I wonder if the current CEO even knows what business he's in. His people sure don't.

So my business with MF is only strings, Stupid Deal, or small gear sure things that don't require interaction, and only if I can't get it elsewhere.

I bought both my Teles from them...disappointing, after 20+ years as a customer. You know it's serious...my Sweetwater guy is a drummer...

ReverendRevolver and bcorig like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.