Did you find the Blues, or Did the Blues Find You?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Justinvs, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I have a confession to make...

When I first started really getting into music and playing during my last two years of highschool I had no interest whatsoever in the Blues. After all, the Blues were all about horn sections and old guys with weird hats and acoustic guitars. I wanted pure Rock n' Roll, bands like Zep and AC/DC, Foghat and Skynyrd and Nazareth. What did music like that have to do with the Blues, right? Even when my first band started playing the Who's version of 'Eyesight to the Blind' or the Beatles "She's So Heavy,' I still didn't need no stinking blues!

And then, one day a friend of mine showed me the first position Minor Pentatonic. Suddenly it as like a door opening and for the first time I realized not only how the music I loved was put together, but that almost all of it was, to one degree or another, the Blues. I was off and running, going backward in time, first through bands like ZZ Top or Hendrix or the Allman Bros, back into Clapton and Beck and the rest of the Brit Invasion, and then finally into the pure stuff like Muddy and BB and Robert Johnson and on and on and on. Best of all, this was the early 80's, right about the time guys like SRV and Robert Cray were rekindling the fire.

I tried to run, but the Blues found me anyhow!

Anybody else have a similar experience? How many of you didn't really like the Blues until you learned how to play them?

2. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

The Blues found me.

3. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Man. Good post. I came at this backwards. I started with rock, pop, classical.. and then I found jazz. At some point I stumbled upon the blues, so I guess it found me. I love it. Howlin Wolf changed my life.

I remember, in my first year of listening, talking to my friend Johnny Guitar Blommer about SRV, thinking I knew something. He said SRV is great but it's the "doors he opens" that are really amazing. He was right.

The blues is all about the pedigree. Robert Johnson begat Muddy who begat... and so forth. It pays tribute to its elders like no other.

There is music that feeds the head, and music that feeds the heart, but blues feeds the soul.

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

I found it on craigslist.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the "Blues" was always around..... I can't remember a time when I didn't hear some sort of blues pattern in popular music....

I didn't have to know what it was called.... it was the sauce that glued it all together...;)

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Honestly it hit me like a freight train in the form of no less than one Stevie Ray Vaughn.

7. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

When I heard Muddy Hollerin and Little Walter Blowin it was OVER for me! I've never been the same!

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Must've had it in me. I've been drawn towards "black" music since I was very young (gospel, spirituals, soul, blues). Even in country music I prefer a sad ballad to an up-tempo party song. My melancholy Nordic genes I guess ...

9. ByDean

ByDean TDPRI Member

I met a guy who was my older brother's friend and he is the hottest blues player. And we started to hang out together.
    And then when I got 18 we already knew each for a couple of years and they threw a party for me. Some drugs involved, which was new to me at the time, and the experience was, should I mention, quite... Surprising
    And then he played Jeff's Roy's Toy along with the record, and then Seasons from 2001 album, and I was absolutely astounded, I listened to some good music already, but it was mostly classic rock and not much else. And I never liked Fenders, altough I didnt even play guitar at the time, buy hey, real men play Gibsons, Iommi does and Zakk Wylde does, and Malcolm Young plays a Gretsch, so why bother listening to somebody playing same guitar as Yngwie has, which is not a really good reference)
    But then he plugged a DVD with SRV's El Mocambo live... and I was left standing there holding my head not believing my ears.

And then I went and bought my first blues record, which was BB and Eric Claptons's Riding With The King.
    And then I got into Keith Richards and think through his interviews into earlier acoustic blues.

10. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

The blues was always around me, but when I was figuring out the guitar I found that the blues was also in me.

11. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Gotta say, it found me. First exposure was hearing Gary Moore's "Still Got The Blues" on a pub soundtrack. Researched the artist and came across the version of "Parisienne Walkways" he did with Phil Lynott. Was hooked after that.

12. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

As a teenager, I was at a friend's house and he played some albums from his older brother's collection. When I heard the horns on the Electric Flag and Paul Butterfield records, all the sixties pop I had been listening to seemed to pale by comparison. Then i went on a lifelong journey of seeking out the connections and influences that developed into the music I had heard. Bloomfield>Muddy>Mississippi. Thanks to YouTube, many performances of little-known blues geniuses can now be viewed so everyone can see the players that SRV or Clapton have emulated. By spending some time investigating the evolution of the music, you can learn a lot about the parallels in musical and cultural development. The blues is a tradition, and we will each find it and relate to it in our own way.

13. chunkyluke

chunkyluke Tele-Meister

As a school kid I played trombone, and between that and my geandma's influence I was heavily into swing and crooners like the rat pack. Any way one day my mum brought me a copy of BB kings greatest hits, saying if you like Sinatra then you might like this. Game over after that.

14. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

My dad only played jazz at home at super high volume. I have upright bass imprinted on on my brain. Lots of Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington. When he wasn't home my mom would pull out all the good blues stuff and play it for us. We listened to Live at the Regal over and over. Thanks mom.

15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

There was a lot of great music around in the late 70s when I was a kid, even in the pop charts.

In the midst of that I came home with a couple of Dr Feelgood records along the way. I didn't know what it was about them, but they spoke to me more than the others did. It was as if they were made of something - a house of bricks as opposed to a house of straw or sticks.

My stepfather told me that kind of music was called "rhythm and blues". I remember thinking it was the lamest name they could have thought up. My mates were all into "heavy rock" and "new wave" - they sounded cool.

But I'd sit at home taping Alexis Korner's radio series on Guitar Greats, with Ry Cooder, Jimi, Eric, BB, Jeff Beck - and most of that pop music just wasn't going to do it any more.

I grew up not caring whether no one else liked the music I did. It's funny to think that it's all considered "cool" now. I still don't care, though.

16. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

First record I bought in 19-aught-69 was by the Jefferson Airplane. Second was Sonny Boy Williamson II and I ain't been right since.

D.H.

17. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

I always went for the zep and aerosmith blooz, never the roots real stuff, sounded old and dated.
    Then it started to click about 15 years ago. Even fronted a blues band for awhile.
    Great stuff.

18. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

The blues found me in the form of my first Fender Telecaster. Up to that point I had only been playing hard rock metal music , but I wasn't progressing much as a guitar player and The guitars I always had lacked soul.. so my passion for the guitar kinda waned then I saw Hank Jr rock a telecaster and thought hmmmmmmm that's for me .
    I got a tax return and went to my guitar store where they had a display of MIM telecasters I took one home and was immediatly impressed with the bluesy tone it had and it's like a switch was turned on.. I have progressed so much over a ten year period it's unreal and now I want to do it professionally. The blues not only found me it was in me wanting to come out !

19. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

In 1967 my girlfriend quit me, because I wouldn't wear bell bottoms and I listened to Paul Butterfield and not Tommy James (not that there's anything wrong with that). So, I guess I came by the blues quite naturally.

20. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Blues definitely found me!

When I was about 13 (40+ years ago) I bought myself a harmonica. I got pretty good at playing Oh Susanna! I quickly realized that that wasn't exactly super cool. And that I couldn't make those bendy sounds that I heard Mick Jagger make. So I put aside my Hohner Autoharp, and bought a harmonica with the word "blues" in the name.

REVELATION!! My new Blues Harp could do anything I could imagine. For some weird reason I was blessed with instant karma on the blues harp. I could make that little guy wail just by thinking about it.

Flash forward nearly 40 years. Some friends from my scooter club ( I ride a Vespa) introduced me to the ukulele. While me previous efforts at guitar resulted in frustration and failure, I found the ukulele to be rewardingly easier to play. I learned a bunch of chords, and a few songs. Then I discovered pentatonic minor scales. It turned out that I could make my ukulele do a whole bunch of the same stuff as I could with my harmonica!

Flash forward another year or so. I wander over to the electric guitar section of one of my favourite ukulele stores. Pick up a guitar, and... Holy crap! I can do it on this thing too!

After that, there is no looking back. The blues gotta hold on me. Whether it's harmonica, ukulele, or Telecaster. It just pours outa me. And I love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.