Did you ever notice this about Area Codes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Our phone was pretty much like this:

[​IMG]

and you could easily kill someone with it...

But Big Robert and Miss Eva next door still had one like this:

[​IMG]

and you could pretty easily bust a hole in an Abram's Tank with one of those suckers...

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Someone mentioned the phone service still being useful
    even during a power outage.

The phone line has it's own 96Volts running through
    it's wires. That's what makes the bell ring when someone
    calls you!

So, when you pick up the receiver it kicks in the transformer
    (600ohms?) and the voltage gets cut in half.

Half of 96 is .......drum roll........48 volts!
    You guessed it, the same as our lovely 48 volts phantom power
    that every good mixing board uses to power condenser mics!

Most of our audio technology is based on Telephony one way
    or another. Why do ya think it's called a Tele-caster!

3. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Y'all are old! I can vaguely remember having to press buttons on the cordless house phone in elementary school (I was in 1st grade in 2001). The white numbers and letters on the buttons were worn completely off, but we had our friends phone numbers down to muscle memory. Then in 2008 the whole family got cell phones and we ditched the house line.

We still use that phone number for a couple of rewards cards haha. Someone is gonna be pissed when the cant use their phone number for a new Fred Meyer rewards.

4. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister

Louie CK comments on rotary phones and other technology:

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Interesting that you should spot that, because the numbers in that pic are the wrong way round for the UK too, and for all I know the rest of Europe as well. In fact our old dials were very similar to US ones, with only minor differences (e.g. no letter "O" by the 6). The British emergency number is 999, because it's difficult to dial inadvertently but the "9" finger-hole is easy to find by feel in darkness or smoke. Here's a pic, lifted (like James's photo) from Google. It's rather grotty, but of a decent size to show what I mean:

[​IMG]

6. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I remember, as a child, listening to my elderly next-door neighbor, talking with my father about his recent trip to visit a brother in New Hampshire. He and his brother were sitting out on the front porch of his brother's house, when the phone inside started ringing. My neighbor asked "Aren't you goin' to answer that?" The brother replied, "Why? The phone's for my use, not theirs." :lol:

7. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

This thread reminded me also of the many phone pranks that were possible back then. Along with crank calls asking if the smoke shop has Prince Albert in a can, or calling the bar and asking them to page John Mehof ("goes by 'Jack'"), here are two that I liked.

Tell someone about the daily Polish joke that's available on the phone. Just dial Polish-Q. Replace 'Polish' with whatever the current butt of jokes might be, but end it with Q, which was absent from the phone alphabet.

Call a random (or not) number and explain that you're calling from the line maintenance department at the phone company. Warn the person that the company will be doing line maintenance which includes blowing out the lines to eliminate static. There's a possibility that the dust could come through their phone and as a courtesy, you're advising customers to put a bag over their phone to prevent the dust from blowing all over their houses. It should only be for the next few days.

The last one still works as an April 1st memorandum or email from the office maintenance department to all employees. "Ask Sally in Supply for bags if you need one."

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

…and it was fun to listen to my grandparents shouting in the phone, because, you know, long distance, you have to talk louder...

9. Tony474

Oh, yes, my dear late mother was a bit like that... "Speak up, Mum, they can't quite hear you at Marble Arch..."

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a friend who lived in Santa Barbara who I'd call when we'd visit my Uncle in LA. I remembered her area code becasue it was 805 like the Moby Grape song.

11. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

You could drive nails with those old bakelite phones!

12. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Never knew your number but I still have your girlfriends number..:D

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

We never called on Sunday.

14. Tony474

In contrast, I never did have much luck trying to call people on a hammer...

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm not a prepper or anything like that, but try cordless or even cell phones when the power has been out for a long time. I keep an old wired phone around just in case it's needed.

16. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

The phone at my grandpas farm back around 1960 looked just like our wall phone at home but it had no rotary dial. Instead there was a crank on the side. It was a rural party line with about 8 farms on it, each with their own ring, grandpas was two long followed by two short rings. I think the longest ring was five long and one short, if you wanted to call long distance (almost never,except maybe a death in the family) you had to call the operator, which I think was one long,long crank...

17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This ashtray sat by our phone at home when I was a teenager. The prefix was Emerson (EM). I think my brother brought it home. My mother was a big smoker and she used it. I don't smoke anymore but I've hung on to it.

its so old it isn't even a radial.:lol:

WP_20140830_15_51_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20140830_15_52_04_Pro.jpg

18. Eric W

Eric W Tele-Meister

I had three "9"s and an "8" in my childhood (still my mom's) phone number. Took fuh-evah lol! We were on a party line and that's when I learned my baby siter was a "bad" girl. I miss her :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.