did Waylon over do it with the rope accents?

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
But you're a clown. Clowns over do everything.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I hadn't seen this clip before, and for some reason had to look into it. I never knew the song was written by Jimmy Bryant!

This is also pretty interesting:

On March 25th, 1970, Johnny Cash invited his former roommate — and future fellow member of the Highwaymen (with Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson) to be a musical guest on his ABC series. The Johnny Cash Show was nearing the end of its first season and had already gained a reputation for featuring an eclectic roster of artists, including Bob Dylan, Derek and the Dominos (featuring Eric Clapton), Joni Mitchell and Ray Charles, in addition to numerous country acts. Jennings’ slick, short haircut and clean-shaven physical appearance on the show would be markedly different from the bearded, long-haired, cowboy-hat-wearing renegade who has inspired a generation of new “outlaw” performers.

The above clip of “Only Daddy,” which begins with Jennings and Cash reminiscing about their days as roommates, has Jennings telling his longtime friend and the audience, “I knew that if you didn’t make it, one thing you couldn’t be was a cook. He was my cook. Can you imagine Johnny Cash in a black suit with baking powder all the way down and gravy in the hair?” “That’s alright,” Cash counters. “I’m a good cook. You didn’t do nothin’.”

“I called June and told her to clean up the room,” Waylon says before walking over to join his band, which includes his wife of five months, Jessi Colter, on keyboard. With a backdrop that’s psychedelic art-deco, it’s not surprising to hear the group’s groovier (in every sense of the word) take on the tune that would become one of Jennings’ most-loved hits, in spite of stalling out just below the chart pinnacle (thanks to another groovy late Sixties country hit, “Harper Valley P.T.A.”).

This wasn’t the first time the song had been featured, but its earlier appearance, during the show’s third episode in June 1969, was subject to a gender change, thanks to Linda Ronstadt, who performed it as “Only Mama That’ll Walk the Line” and had included her version on her solo debut LP, Hand Sown … Home Grown, released two months earlier.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Whenever I have a musical question, I ask myself, “What would Waylon Jennings, Muddy Waters or Kim Wilson do?” and adjust accordingly.

Waylon is still one of the greatest, period.

His awesome-looking Telecaster is as iconic as SRV’s “First Wife”, Muddy Waters’ “Hoss” and Brian May’s “Red Special”.

EDIT:
@rodeoclown Not trying to start a fight, but what do you mean by “overdo the rope accents”?
If you’re referring to the leather cover on his Tele, that’s a leather working pattern meant to look somewhat like roses mixed with another pattern called “oak leaves”.

Here’s one of his actual guitars I saw at a guitar show several years ago—it was a part of a reputable auction house’s offerings.

4772E4DE-E6D8-4FB8-9439-37F8F0EC17FF.jpeg

Last edited: