Did the unthinkable: sold my 1950 Broadcaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mimmo, Feb 27, 2016.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Hi guys,

Since my father passed two years ago finances have become a sort of problem.
    I always thought that I would have never let this guitar go but I finally took the decision so I will be able to help my mother - nothing is more important in life in my opinion and I am sure that dad would approve it.
    And that is enough for me.

So join me and say hello to my beloved guitar. Only I hope not to see it on ebay demounted and sold piece by piece. May the buyer enjoy her and treat her the way she deserves.

I will enjoy my PV 52 and the 50s laquer, really cannot complain IMO :p

God bless.

Mimmo.

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Hello :!::arrow:

3. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Did you take a picture of it, I would like to see it and how much did you get for it?

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

It's sad when you have to part with a piece of family history but there's no doubt that you are making the right decision and as you say, your dad would approve. Good luck and best wishes.

5. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

You're taking care of your mother and you're doing the right thing. Your father surely approves of such a good son.

6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I don't get it...why HELLO and not GOODBYE ? Have you SOLD it, or are you SELLING it. Where is the pic, or sale offering if the latter ? Sorry for your loss of both father and guitar ?

7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a tough decision, but the right one. It's just stuff in the end. Best wishes to you and your mom, mimmo.

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the replies guys.

PCollen, I meant goodbye, it is my fault.
    Sacizob, incredibly I don t have a picture but if you google tdpri broadcaster you will find a few threads I started about it.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

10. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Don't do it, man!!

11. J.Rodney

J.Rodney Tele-Meister

I know this was hard, but you did what you had to do for this time in your life. At the end of this life it is just stuff that we could not take with us anyway. The $$ is needed now for the living.

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

The only response needed for this thread. Thanks Rodney.

13. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Mimmo, mi auguro che sia un arrivederci ;)

14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Good decision...... well done, for getting your priorities in order!

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

I agree. I was going to say about the same. No more worthy a cause it could have gone for.

16. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mimmo, I know exactly how you feel. Not sorta, exactly.

My father passed in 2007, and though my mom was (and is) living, she felt that I should have the 1961 Ford Galaxie Starliner that my dad restored...mainly because that car was my favorite thing growing up.

I'd stand in the garage with him, just watching and handing him the wrong tools. We went to car shows together with it. Took it on saturday evening drives. More than any other physical thing in this world, that car represented "me and dad".

I absolutely loved it. No, I cherished it. After dad passed, I drove it way more than he did because it just made me smile every time. The sound of it. The smell. The feel. It took me back.

One summer a few years later, when we were on vacation at the beach, my mom was talking about how she'd like to do some kitchen renovations, but wasn't going to because she didnt' have the money at the time.

Now, she wasn't super tight on money or anything, life was fine. But she didn't have the money to do what she wanted to do. And it just struck me like a ton of bricks. I had a near-$50,000 car that was dad's, and by all rights should have gone to mom when he passed. But she gave it to me because to her, me owning it and the joy I would get from it was more important than the money she would get from selling it (she didn't have near the connection to it that I did of course).

Well, dad passed in 2007. The vacation I'm referring to was 2014. I had a good 7 years of treasuring the car....and I was just struck with a very specific feeling: the right thing to do was to give the car back to mom so she could enjoy the value/money the sale would bring.

Now, I certainly would have liked that money...but I never would have sold it (for me). To me, the car was worth more emotionally than the cash. But...what was even more valuable was being able to do what I think dad would have really wanted. Helping mom turn dad's sweat, effort, and work into something she would enjoy every single day.

So I did.

I gave her the car, and we sold it.

And she's starting kitchen renovations this year.

I still miss that car, almost daily. Especially when a car show comes to town, or on those really amazing friday nights where people get their classic cars out and drive around, windows down, just to hear the engine even better. As much as I like it, my Mazda doesn't sound the same, lol.

Point being--you did the right thing my man. A 1950 Broadcaster is a cool thing, no doubt. But helping your mom and your family is way, way cooler.

Life isn't about things. It's about love, and family, and experiences. You got to experience that guitar, and you'll never lose that. And now you're showing love to your family by doing something generous.

I'm sure it feels good. And you're a good man for doing it. And she knows it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P Thought likes this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars come and go, family is what is important; blessings on you and yours.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1

Easy decision to make. Hope you got plenty of cash to help mom out.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Dude family is way more important. Good for you for being an amazing son!

20. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

You're a good man Mimmo, and a good son.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.