Did the Mc5 invent punk?

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I honestly think they did. One of the best bands to have come out of Detroit in the sixties (along with Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes, Bob Seger's first band the Seger System, and a power pop band called Sky, which included future Knack guitarist Doug Fieger.)

The group was led by guitarist Fred Sonic Smith, who would later become the husband of punk legend Patti Smith (he died in 1994), as well as Wayne J. Kramer, who is pretty well known to many record collectors (and still continues to perform today!) Without the MC5, there would be no Clash, Ramones, Public Image LTD, Sex Pistols, none of that!

Kick Out The Jams is a fantastic debut album (if you can get past all the offensive lyrics), and there is a lot of overdrive in the guitars.

It should also be noted that Blue Oyster Cult covered Kick Out The Jams for their 1978 live album Some Enchanted Evening. Patti Smith was dating BOC keyboardist Allan Lanier at the time, and the group covered Kick Out The Jams at his request.

But if you find this thread interesting, please let me know. PS: MC5 actually stands for the Motor City 5.

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
They are one of the greatest rock-n-roll bands of all time...but they did not "invent" punk rock.

Looking back after the fact, they can be called a great influence on punk music. But they were, quite simply, a rock band, in their day. They skirted the line between garage rock, psychedelic rock, blues rock, and hard rock.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
I love the MC5, or at least that album. Certainly proto-Punk.

But what the hell? You list awesome 60's Detroit bands and neglect The Stooges? :)

giphy.gif

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
just like the universe...it took all the elements to form it

just like punk...all the elements (proto punks) form for the ramones to appear

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Gene Vincent was a punk.
It's one of those questions like, What is the first Rock and Roll song?
Rocket 88? Rock Around The Clock?
They sound like a million Blues songs to me.
The MC5 definitely are at the roots of Punk...they brought Iggy along...
It's possible that Sid Vicious and Joe Strummer never heard of the MC5.