Did the Boss OD-3 Ever Go SMT Surface Mount?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Radspin, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:14 PM.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I'm interested in buying an OD-3 but don't want to get one if it's been changed to surface mount board (SMT) construction. Does anyone know if this ever happened with the OD-3, or not? I can't find anything online other than information stating that SOME Boss pedals have gone to SMD.

I have an opportunity to buy a newer one (November 2018) but don't want to buy it, or a brand new one, if it's SMD.

2. nedorama

nedorama TDPRI Member

Not sure; JHS and others have videos comparing component vs. SMD pedals and found no difference - unless you're looking to mod them, and then SMD is near impossible to mod... Is there a reason you don't want SMD?

nathanteal and DavidP like this.
  3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I thought there might be a sonic difference but if not, then I guess it's moot. I'm not planning on modding the pedal. I didn't know about the JHS and other videos.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

JHS guy thinks a Beringher or Mooer sound the same as a real TS.

Played both and they just dont. I really don't trust that dudes advice. He's sort of like a soccer mom of pedals. They are all great and they all win a trophy.

Just no.

Also his reference to not using buffers before a Fuzz are ridiculous. SRV, EJ , Hendrix used a buffer before a Fuzz or in combo with it.

sanfi4u likes this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

I wouldn't say the SMT version sound the same or indistinguishable......they are better than the older throughole made ones by allot. I wouldn't even consider one of the old ones MADE IN TAIWAN. Sounded bad IMO and inconsistent.

These new SMt one sound better and are better constructed IMO

6. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Bees against honey. :)

The-Kid likes this.
  7. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

AFAIR OD-3 wasn't affected by that SMD trend so far. At least that was't the case in November 2018. I'll try to double check it tomorrow.

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Another thing to consider is that your best deal for an OD-3 is probably going to be a used one. You can get it for a fraction of the price of a new one, and it's a Boss pedal, so you've got durability despite even if it was heavily used. I'd think odds are most used ones, that are decently discounted, are likely to be a bit older, and are probably going to be thru-hole construction.

I'd be very surprised if Boss changes or changed anything with the buffered bypass if/when they go to SMD construction for the OD-3. The OD-3 is from a period when Boss had already switched to a very good jFET input buffer, and the OD-3 uses discrete jFETs for its two gain stages. The op amp in the OD-3 is for EQ shaping only, so any general purpose op amp will work for that just fine (in the event Boss chooses something different for SMD version).

In all honesty, it's only the earlier Boss stuff - SD-1/DS-1/etc. that has 'inferior' buffered bypass, which really just means that there's an ordinary bipolar transistor for the input buffer. But lots of other pedals actually still use the same thing, including the vast majority of TSs made by Maxon/Ibanez. I don't hear of anyone complaining about the buffers in those (although I guess that some complainers do exist).

The old SD-1 is sort of unique in that it has a bypass bleed issue, but IMO it's the kind of thing that you'll only hear if you're playing in your bedroom, w/o a band. That's why you never hear of pro giggers complaining about stuff like this, because it's a non-issue for them.

...If you're never going to get the OD-3 modded, and you don't mind paying the price of a new one, I'm confident that even a SMD version will sound the same. Or if it sounds different, the differences will be negligible.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's actually not impossible to mod.

It just requires that you have the proper tooling for it, and is a bit of a pain to work on, relative to thru-hole.

The truth be told, Boss pedals like the BD-2 and OD-3 have tiny 1/8-watt resistors in them (the thru-hole versions), that are a bit of a pain to unsolder, remove, and replace, at least for the shadetree tinkerer.

...But for ease of modding - that would go to the old Boss SD-1 and DS-1 (thru-hole). It's really a part of the reason I'd want to own either one of those, IMO. And the circuits are so simple that SMD almost seems ridiculous.

10. nedorama

nedorama TDPRI Member

You may not like the sound of a buffer before a fuzz, but I tried a buffer before and after my Keeley Electric Mudd and Fuzz head and prefer it after. But to each their own.

Can you share what buffer Jimi would have been using back then? IRIC buffered effects weren't around back then but I could be mistaken.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Roger Mayer saying as much here.

Just paste and search that. I couldnt paste the pdf.

Roger Mayer
    Bypassing Myths Fact or Fiction - Roger Mayer

Whatever type of buffer...idk....but yeah Jimi used em to help his wah and fuzz work nice.

12. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

The OD-3 overdrive from the new product line (new black box; new simplified silver label) manufactured in October 2017 still uses original PCB and through hole components.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There's a good chance that OD-3 released in November 2018 is built the same way. You may want to give it a try.

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I compared a new SD-1 to an earlier one and found that I like the sound of the new one better. We are talking hair-splitting marginal differences in sound never to be heard in a live situation and I could honestly go either way (smt or through-hole) on this pedal. Short of it is, the SMT sounds like a good SD-1, as it should.

I am wondering if this is what I probably heard as the difference between the two SD-1s I compared.

I thought the location of the power jack, at least on the older SD-1s compared to SMT SD-1 was in a different location (middle vs at baseplate or vice-versa - can't remember which is which), was the tell-tale sign of SMT vs not-SMT. It seems pre-PSA adapter pedals (ACA versions) have the jack in the same location as the SMT ones, but its the through-hole PSA adapter pedals that is different from the other two....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    The-Kid likes this.
  14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

It is a Boss. It wasn't going to die before and SMT makes it darn near immortal.

bluesholyman likes this.
  15. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Power jack can be used as an indicator in case of BD-2 and DS-1. The new SMD versions have a baseplate ("external") power jack (see the left pedal) and the old ones are equipped with the power jack located in the middle (right pedal).

[​IMG]

But it doesn't work for SD-1 as all versions are equipped with the "external" power jack.
    As for the OD-3, old pedals and the new OD-3 (2017) feature the same "middle" style power jack. And they are all TDH based devices. At least so far.

[​IMG]

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

11 Gauge, that's good enough for me! I have your 72 and 98.6 Degrees pedals and they're not going anywhere, but you know how it is when it comes to acquiring pedals...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.