Did The Beatles kill Rock and Roll?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, May 16, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

um...wut :p

2. blowtorch

So, you didn't mean what you said.

Got it.

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't read the thread and ain't going to.

the Beatles did not "kill rock and rock" cause rock and roll is not dead. as long as there is something to be said with an electric guitar and a drum, it won't be. In My Humble Opinion.

RoyBGood, 4pickupguy and blowtorch like this.
  4. blowtorch

"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife's parents are that was about Corolla's.
    I guess since the '80s they have always and only owned a Corrola.
    When I met their daughter I drove a full size Murican pickup for carpentry and that was OK with them.
    But when I got out of that trade and was looking for a car, they were quite upset that I didn't want a Corolla.
    I went with a Volvo wagon because they are built a little more like a truck, I got AWD and can carry ladders & lumber while still having quiet comfy leather inside.
    The number of times they informed me that a Corolla lasts for 20 years and is just the perfect car became a little disturbing!
    It was a subtle undercurrent of resentment just because I didn't want their fave car!

I see a similarly cultish following of Corolla's and Tacoma's, not unlike the most rabid of Beatles fans.
    That's actually one reason I like the XC70!
    Put say 12yo used cars, ten Corollas, ten Tacoma's and ten XC70s on a lot, and the Toyotas will be rusted out and falling apart but sell for more than the XC70s, because those buyers are just rabid fanboys and think they're getting a great deal at $2000 for a rustbucket that won't take a sticker. Same money buys a rust free XC70 with leather and a stack of dealer service papers.
    Crazy.

6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Queen. Oh, no wait, they all four wrote big hits.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

If the guy was born in 1962, chances are he would have already spawned children by now if he was going to.

8. thunderbyrd

well, honey, what in the hell is it we think we are doing, with all these guitars and amps and stuff? putting on a ghost show?

9. blowtorch

Sometimes i do wonder, if it's not that, or maybe more like those Civil War re-enactment guys

thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's one example. And much as I like Queen and think they were successful and influential and original in their own right, their impact and longevity even when Freddie was alive doesn't match the Beatles. Plus - their songs made it on MTV but weren't all top ten hits or simultaneous hits. And - hardly genre busting.

And outside Queen - Nada. Whereas Paul, John and George all had critical and commercial hits post Beatles.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. thunderbyrd

it ain't dead, Blowtorch. you are not dead to feeling. you have a fire inside, still. turn it loose.

blowtorch likes this.
  12. Dacious

You know why pipers march - to get away from the racket! :lol:

My wife is a McPhail....

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Dacious

I think the Beatles influence outlives beyond it's intention and scope. It's recognised by exponents in non-rock - Segovia was quoted as saying, there's good Beatles and bad Beatles music.

John speaking in Jan Wenner's Rolling Stone interview made it plain he thought of the band as a 'good little rock'n'roll band'. He thought their best stuff was things like IWTHYH, Twist and Shout', 'Get Back', 'Helter Skelter' And yet he wrote 'In My life', 'Across the Universe' and 'Norwegian Wood'.

He was proud of the rooftop Apple concert as he thought the band was shown at it's peak.

Paul wrote country - 'Rocky Racoon', pop, rock, classical arrangements ('She's Leaving Home'), children's songs like Yellow Submarine, Octopus' Garden, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, hymns like Let it Be, social commentary like Lady Madonna, It's Just Another Day.

George wrote gritty songs like Taxman, It's All Too Much, streams of consciousness like Within You Without You,, Long Long Long, religious like My Sweet Lord, social consciousness songs like Bangladesh. And beautiful songs like Something, Here Comes The Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

'Something' just about bought him immortality.

You might not like the music but to deny it's breadth and influence is to deny reality.

DekeDog, warrent and telemnemonics like this.
  14. blowtorch

Elvis and Frank both covered it, so there is that.
    But, maybe they did Yesterday, too? I mean, everyone else did...

15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

So your basic premise is that 99% of the music industry paid no attention to The Beatles? That's an original take if there ever was one.

So the Beatles are a Honda, Beatles fans are like Accord drivers and to everyone else the Beatles don't matter and some Beatles fans are upset that people don't accept that the Beatles are not popular. And ipso facto the Beatles were never popular and therefore not important.

Is that your point?
    I'll admit I'm still struggling with your earlier idea that the largest selling act in musical history was some how not very popular but maybe I don't get math.

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I pass

17. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

did they make that film Yesterday about you;-?

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

There's no struggle. You think the Beatles changed all music, that all bands wanted to be like them, and that all customers wanted all music and acts to be like them. I'm pointing out, very few folks believe that, based on the tiny few folks that bought their albums. Or, you can look at it this way. 99%+ bought a non-Beatles product. They can't be a universal factor, and so limited in sales at the same time.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Rock and roll is not a business or a musical style; it's an attitude.

The Beatles--more than any group before or since--reinforced the notion that anyone could write/play/sing their own songs.

That created a ground swell among young people to learn to play an instrument and make (not just consume) music. This DIY approach is what birthed many thousands of garage bands and singer-songwriters, quite a few of which became famous in their own right.

DekeDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.