Did The Beatles kill Rock and Roll?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, May 16, 2020.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its hard to argue with a theory where there is no data to confirm or deny.

I'll stick to data like record sales that anyone can verify. The Beatles didn't matter to 98% or more of consumers, or acts. They were important, and were the most popular act at one time over 50 years ago, but so were hundreds more, before, during, and since. More data by the way that anyone can verify.

PS - R&R and all commercial music is a business. You and I wouldn't even know it existed, had there not been a profit motive to bring it to market. Inflating history is also a business, and generates lots of profit.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Record sales has nothing to do with what I posted. It's not about popularity; it's impact. I stated the Beatles were incredibly influential on music making that followed their example; most any music industry Website lists them in the top three most influential bands in history. Elvis and Michael Jackson appear at/near the top of some lists, but they were not a band.

And I'm not really even a fan of the Beatles :twisted: but I am a huge fan of their DIY approach.

DekeDog likes this.
  3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

BREAKING NEWS: Blowtorch Still Hates Beetles

4. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Spot on!

RoyBGood likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

They didn't kill off Rock'n'roll they just changed it. Even on their last album " Get Back" is a variation of Chuck Berry . Look at what Black Sabbath , The Who and Led Zepplin did to music. They changed it too and many didn't like it ( myself Include). Music is constantly evolving whether you like it or not.

DekeDog likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's really not so much the beetles as the crazy statements beetles superfans make

7. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

She killed The Beatles, thus she killed rock and roll.

You do realize the vacuum left by the absence of The Beatles was filled by Yes, Journey, ELP, Huey Lewis and the News, Jay-Z, Helen Reddy, The Carpenters, NWA, Brad Paisley, The Eagles, 50 Cent, Taylor Swift....

Rock and roll died because Yoko killed The Beatles. It's a fact.

8. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I hope I'm not the same person I was 25 years ago. How many of us cover songs note for note the same as on the original recording? How many bands play a song exactly the same way twice? At what point do we become someone different than who we were? How many Beatles songs have been covered by someone else? Did they sound the same? Change... embrace it.

9. Musekatcher

Correct, we have to ignore data such as record sales to keep a theory plausible.

Aren't these more statements and internet marketing without facts? I can name 50 gold and platinum artists and fans that might admire a fellow artist like the Beetles, but claiming partial ownership/inspiration for their art would not only insult their individuality and creativity, but would be fraudulent in claiming any shared intellectual lineage in their art.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Beatles discussions are another inner ring of Hades I had no idea existed, until here.

Who wants BBQ?? :lol:

11. Musekatcher

We have the best BBQ in the world. All other BBQ is a facsimile of ours. Without our BBQ, there would be no BBQ today. Everybody I know has always testified ours is the best, and all others are copies.

Now, lets discuss Ray's Pizza. I mean Ray's Original Pizza. You know, the American invention, Pizza? <g>

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Okay, point taken. Then what did you listen to?

13. Jon S.

Jon S. TDPRI Member

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The Beatles are directly responsible for prog.

John Lennon is directly responsible for Yoko Ono.

Yoko Ono didn’t break up nothing.

It’s the dumbest common belief held by Beatles fanatics.

Anybody who thinks Yoko broke up the Beatles doesn’t know a thing about how men in their 20’s act/think , much less rich super- famous men.

They needed a break and would definitely have reformed in the 80’s.

Which would have been great for both Beatles fans and Beatles detractors ...:lol:o_O

15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Jon S. likes this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Consistency isn't your best attribute is it?

You keep making grand statements without any facts to back them up. Do you think the addition of percentages in your statements is all you need?

Bobbyoso likes this.
  17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Yes, the Beatles killed rock 'n' roll in 1963, it's been dead ever since. Didn't anyone notice?

papa32203 and blowtorch like this.
  18. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hair length was really important to you. I forgot about that.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is that your list of post Beatles Rock?
    Interesting, musta lived in Idaho?

David Byrne had this to say:
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it. You're talking a lot but you're not saying anything. Say something once, why say it again?"

Hope this music isn't too offensive, not all Tele players like TH.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not as obsessed with long hair as US conservatives became obsessed with crew cuts after WWII when the FBI was trying to hunt down citizens whose personal values they considered "unamerican".

Our founding Fathers who wrote the Constitution had long hair.
    Jesus had long hair.
    But in the '60s, otherwise good kids were being thrown out of school for having hair like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington or Jesus.

History bears out the fact that many many civil rights issues needed to be changed.
    And pretty much the only Americans willing to fight for change were our youth.
    So the youth of America stepped up against racism and sexism, while growing their hair loner as a symbolic showing of solidarity, and as a rejection of the moral majority values that were in many cases unconstitutional.
    All the while there were still lynchings happening in parts of the US.

The values expressed in that protest movement, rights like free speech, freedom of expression, freedom from unfair prosecution, the right to a fair trial; those rights were being denied to African Americans and women in the US.
    But notably, those in charge of women's and minorities rights, and those carrying out the lynchings, pretty consistently had those supposedly Patriotic important mil spec haircuts.

Hilarious really, if we look at images of our original Patriots.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    bcorig likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.