1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did Musikraft screw up my neck order? I honestly don't know.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by etype, Mar 27, 2020.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

My Musikraft neck I ordered in January just arrived. It's beautiful and I bought it unfinished and so was going to start that process. But after taping of the rosewood fretboard, I decided to check the tuner holes.

Before I ordered, I contacted them and asked which hold selection to make as the tuners I had were Gotoh SD91-MGs. I was told that its a good thing I called as none of the options would work and that I should make a note on the order (there is a space for that) that the shop should ask Jim to drill the holes and I should specify the model tuners I had.

I did more than that, I added this in the comment section for the order:

<<<Jim told me to alert the shop that none of the tuner hole options will work with the tuners I bought and that the shop should check with him for details. I have Gotoh SD91-MG tuners.

The shafts are 5.96mm (0.234") diameter and the set comes with bushings for the face side of the headstock. The bushings have a diameter of 8.8mm (.346").>>>

I also asked what I should choose for the tuner hole options as there is no way to leave it blank. He said it wouldn't matter; I chose 11/32"

Well, in checking the tuner holes the other day, they are exactly 11/32" diameter. Either, that WAS the right option and Jim did not know that I could have chosen that, OR someone missed my note.

I have emailed and called and no response for 3 days. I assume they are closed down as they are located in New Jersey.

Does anyone know the proper hole size for the tuners I have. I'd like to proceed with the finishing, but don't want to do that if I have to return the neck.

Thanks!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Well 11/32 is 0.344" so you're only .002" off. I'm no expert, but if it was my neck I'd roll with it. Worst case you give the holes a VERY slight twist with a tapered reamer before you press the bushings in.

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

11/32 is 8.7XXXmm or .34375"... which is just a hair smaller than your quoted specs for the bushings. Better smaller than too large and needing to use adapter bushings.

In the 4 aftermarket necks I have purchased from various vendors I have yet to have tuners drop in. It was worth it to me to buy the right tools to enlarge the holes just a little and chamfer the edge so it doesn't chip out: a LONG tapered reamer and their tuner hole chamfer bit to avoid tear-out. They aren't cheap but neither are the necks. And with the Stew Mac club to get free shipping the cost is spread out over the 4 necks I've already worked on. That only works if you're in the U.S.

OK, long story short....I think you got the right size holes.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

crazydave911 and etype like this.
  4. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

5. jfgesquire

I have that reamer and it works, but it tends to grab one side and chip out the edge easier than the StewMac tools. I would definitely practice on some scrap first to get the hang of feeling when it is starting to grab too deep. The StewMac reamer has a much longer taper, too. I used the harbor freight one on a couple Chinese necks and it worked fine, but when I bought a nice solid rosewood neck I splurged for the dedicated tools.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

yep.. non issue,. .002 is less than the thickness of a sheet of plain old paper... if it's too snug after lacquering the neck.. a small ream will open it up...

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. After they told me it had to be a special hole, I expected a 0.346 hole on the face side and roughly a 0.234 hole on the back side (each going about 1/2 way through). Still, not thrilled about having to take more time, money and learn a new skill to get this right, especially if this was a mistake on their part.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Stew-Mac does not have a 0.346" reamer. So I guess I want a 0.348" reamer and then just don't take it as far as I could (with shipping, its $32)? The Harbor freight one seems like it would make more of a cone shape. But $4 is a bargain!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. jfgesquire

The one guy on StewMac did a video tutorial showing how the first hole was a little bit at a time, then after that he marked the depth with a piece of masking tape for the other 5.

10. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

It's 0.002"!! No way would I buy a $32 tool. Heck, a little sandpaper wrapped around a dowel would work.

Doesn't need to be perfect

11. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Also the runout or the drill press might have made the hole slightly larger than the 11/32" drill bit.

12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

The bushings don't feel like you could press them in at all. I cannot believe what a difference 0.002" makes!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the hole on the back side doesn't mean squat.. Since the machine's construction holds the post in check, there is no need for the wood to be any closer than the 11/32 nds..

Oh yeah, Just do not force them.. they should go in with modest pressure.. if you have to pound them in.. stand by for the cracked headstock, and words you Momma was hoping you would never say.. :D

If they are too snug. get a reamer and give it a twist or two in the hole.. If ya screw up and make it too loose, just apply a dab of epoxy around the periphery of the hole and slide it in..

This isn't rocket science, it's not going to Mars, the ferrules just don't do all that much. there's plenty of guitars out there with NO ferrules at all..

r

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Uhh... why not stick the bushing in and see how it fits...?

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I've changed tuners/bushings quite a few times on guitars....

One tool I made was a small press which is nothing more than a bolt that's similar in diameter to inside of busing, a couple of washers and a wing nut. If I can't press it in by hand I enlarge the hole. I've always had reamers laying about. A $10 General brand works if you're very careful.

I just saw a thread about someone cracking the head stock by hammering in a bushing. I'd never hammer in a bushing! It takes a little finesse to determine how tight it too tight. It just needs to be snug and not rattle. Local RH will inform you weather to expect contracting or expanding hole. Remember there's this stuff called "glue" if you go a bit too big just glue it in!

16. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Quite agree! I've done it myself; it doesn't take long and costs virtually nothing.

17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Just received an email from Musikraft. All it says is that the holes they drilled should work fine (no indication of how they ended up using the standard 11/32" holes). You all have convinced me that that is correct, so I will get started with it. Thanks for the help.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I used this Harbor Freight reamer to go from 9mm to 10mm holes when I replaced the tuners on my Douglas. 2, maybe 3 twists and presto!

19. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

saw cut in end of dowel , insert sandpaper strip , chuck dowel in drill , roll up sandpaper and you have a gentle hole enlarger ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    crazydave911, etype and ppg677 like this.
  20. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

oops old thread so sorry

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.