Did I upgrade?

ceej

TDPRI Member
For years, my closet amp has been a Fender 15 I bought back in '83 while stationed in Japan for use on the ship. Japanese made, I bought with my Japanese Squier strat; modded and subsequently stolen in '91...
I just picked up a brand new Fender Mustang I. A buddy keeps an eye open for amps and guitar bits for me when he's out looking for things at the local thrift stores. He ran across the Mustang, complete with hang tags for $75. I agreed, grab it. Sure, I can buy it on sale in the new version for maybe double that, but for my closet antics, what the heck.

I still have the little Fender, that seems to tolerate pedals just fine. It's been with me for a goodly while. Till death do us part. It doesn't bother the wife when I'm discovering the latest discord. So is this an upgrade? It seems like it'll do a great deal of heavy lifting in the pedal chain.

Or am I an idiot? Don't answer that. Or do. Your call.

CJ

kuch

Tele-Holic
For years, my closet amp has been a Fender 15 I bought back in '83 while stationed in Japan for use on the ship. Japanese made, I bought with my Japanese Squier strat; modded and subsequently stolen in '91...
I just picked up a brand new Fender Mustang I. A buddy keeps an eye open for amps and guitar bits for me when he's out looking for things at the local thrift stores. He ran across the Mustang, complete with hang tags for $75. I agreed, grab it. Sure, I can buy it on sale in the new version for maybe double that, but for my closet antics, what the heck.

I still have the little Fender, that seems to tolerate pedals just fine. It's been with me for a goodly while. Till death do us part. It doesn't bother the wife when I'm discovering the latest discord. So is this an upgrade? It seems like it'll do a great deal of heavy lifting in the pedal chain.

Or am I an idiot? Don't answer that. Or do. Your call.

CJ
Hey ceej,

If you like it, what else matters. Enjoy your "new" amp!

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Fender Mustang I

Your "upgrade" is really dependent on you and your satisfaction with the Mustang I in terms of what it has to offer.

Like you, I play my other amps with pedals most of the time, but I still enjoy dragging out my Mustang I (my first real amp purchased ~10yrs ago) from time to time just to run it through the settings. LOL...almost every time I come away thinking "I should get a SuperSonic".

I like (and have) a variety of smallish inexpensive amps with different characteristics. Fun, easy to store...more is better.

ceej

TDPRI Member
So far I'm liking it. I can run it at a lower volume, and still get some cool sounds out of it. Headphones tend to be a pain. The settings are going to take a while to get used to. I downloaded a manual for it, and have been getting up to speed with the controls. I wasn't sure about the newer versions with the small display. I have an HF radio with menus and various functions combined into one main control knob. Next radio will have everything out on the panel. It's a pain to work with menus sometimes.
Here's the 15:
IMG_1958.jpg

CJ

Last edited: