1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did I make the wrong choice?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by nobis17, Mar 26, 2021.

Which all-tube amp sings to you?

1. Laney Lionheart L20T-112 (keep it and be happy)

29 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Vox AC30-112

12 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Marshall Origin 20C-110

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25-112

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb 112

46 vote(s)
    35.1%
  6. (Other)?

32 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

spend time practicing and listening.

pick something that's impossible to you and start working out how to make it possible.

David C and blowtorch like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, waaaaay too much keeping up with the @Jakedog,* uh...I mean Joneses going on :p

(*could make a complete crap guitar through a gorilla amp sound great)

hepular and MilwMark like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve been playing about 10 years now.

I do have a couple nickels to rub together and music is really my only avocation.

After a decade of, I’m just finally getting exhausted with “does this sound better than that?”

Really, who the **** knows - in the land of nuance. Or why? Different humidity, air pressure. Played a bit louder. Whatever.

One home amp. One live amp. One board with a few variations to swap. Yet I always go back to the “standard” quickly.

I do have too many guitars. 10 across acoustics, electrics and lap steel. Yikes!

I rationalize that by saying I do play them a bit differently. Some have a vibrato. Some don’t. Some truth there. But mainly they are pretty and it makes me happy to pick up different ones from time to time.

Go figure, when I’m not straining to hear different/better, plugging into different stuff, I play and write more.

Mostly fun journey though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    MarkWW, gitlvr and David C like this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

If you're satisfied with the Laney, keep it for sure. Buy another amp of a different flavor if you want, but I wouldn't get rid of a good amp for an unknown.

I voted for the AC30, but realize it's going to be super loud and heavy as heck. DRRI would also be a great choice for a second amp.

5. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Origin 20 head into a 2x10 can....killer

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

It seems to me that if you like an amp enough that you do most of your playing plugged straight in you should keep it.
    As far as other amps go the field is wide open.
    And maybe you do need that Lester.

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Enjoy what you enjoy. Try out different stuff to see if there's other stuff that you enjoy too or more, and then decide.

The only "mistakes" would be feeling that you have to justify what you like. Or explore beyond what you want to explore.

If the gear and person relationship a good one, there's so much greatness to be explored in one guitar + one amp that one could spend a happy lifetime with just that stuff.

gitlvr and Ricky D. like this.
  8. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

You should try tweaking things on your guitar as well. Crank up the knobs on the amp and roll them all the way back on the guitar and slowly turn the guitar controls. You’d be amazed what kind of sounds you get if you let the amp do the heavy lifting and the guitar to influence most of the sound.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

as somebody who has way too many amps it would be hypocritical for me to tell you not to try out any of those amps but the last year has taught me that the only surefire way to make your amp sound better is to practice an hour a day, works great!

ooglybong, David C and nobis17 like this.
  10. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

As a home player only, I solved a similar problem by saving up $ so I could eventually buy three different amps (Lil Dawg Tweed Deluxe, VSA Princeton Reverb, Vox AC4HW1).

I highly recommend this approach.:D

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Laney is single ended. A true parallel, single ended, honest to goodness, hot as the hob of Hades, Class A glassburner. When it is in its sweetspot, gain halfway, volume to 7~8, it's so right that it can never be wrong.
    Keep it. Ignore the voices. Listen to the amp. Play it clean. Nothing else sounds like a Lionheart. Tech 21 make great character pedals. Joyo paid homage to them, honouring them with the sincerest form of flattery. Yes, Joyo ripped them off to such an extent that one of the most recommended pedals on here is the Joyo American Sound. There's a good set of Fender like sounds. The British gives Marshall-esque, and the AC Tone gets close to Vox. Into a cleanish amp, they're very good. Useful elsewhere too.

Could you get a 'better' amp?. First, define better. The Lionheart is one of those amps I played through once, and have coveted since. I have a Laney, albeit a Cub 10. It may not do everything I want, but it sure does everything I need
    Plenty of commercial amps have come and gone since, with only a Jet City and an E-Wave ( OEM manufacturer of many fine things ) staying. I have yet to decide on my VHT as to whether it's a keeper.
    I 'solved' my dilemma by building too many amps. Keep the Laney, build your own. Build a clean machine. Build a high gain thunderstorm. Build shelves to accommodate them. Build more...
    I'm not the best person to give advice. With my Laney, my WF-55, my Jet City and my G3, two commercial and two kit amps, I have every sound in my head covered. The other, err, < that many > amps are merely for decoration :)

12. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you made the wrong choice.

If there is one thing the internet has taught us it is that we are doing everything wrong! :rolleyes:

ooglybong and nobis17 like this.
  13. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

I have been of and on stages for about 40 years,

I used to play Vox AC-30 and Fender Super Reverb.

Today i have 3 Marshalls JTM-1 Offset, SV20H and SC20H

I also have a Laney Lionheart L20T-112, a fantastic amp, classic Channel is about an early VOX AC15 , and Gain channel like an early Marshall.

After the Covid and I will be on stage again it will be with the Laney :)

14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Recently got the Mesa Fillmore 25 head.

Great. Jus what I need.
    Ymmv.

15. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Explore the possibilities of what you have.
    Turn the knobs. Listen. There's cool stuff in there.

gitlvr likes this.
  16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Keep it.
    I have played through the years various Marshalls, Peavey Triumph 60, Fender, and now I play a Peavey Bandit 112.
    I can get "my sound" from any decent amp. No matter what amp I use I will generally pull the same sounds out of it. Even with pedals like Ods, they might all be very different sounding, but I tend to find the sound I want and am used to, and they all kind of end up sounding pretty much the same after I'm done.
    Laney makes a good amp; use it.
    MHO.

17. Thorne

Thorne TDPRI Member

Laney is a brand with a rich heritage and a character all of its own. If you’re happy with the sound you’re getting why change? Are you looking for a different sound, is it the cache of a more ‘boutique’ brand you’re after?

I bought my first Laney in 1988 and kept it for 20 years before foolishly selling. I regretted it immediately of course. So much so that immediately went hunting for another to replace it. I’ve since also added a IRT Studio. I have upwards of 20 amps but I wouldn’t be without a Laney again.

If you like the amp you’ve got, keep it. If you want to experiment buy another one too. The plethora of lunchbox size amps out there are great for keeping the price down as well as saving space. It can become addictive though!

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Your question contains the answer. You are very satisfied with the Laney. So, that can't be wrong. Keep it.

The question is really whether you would be even happier with something else. That is an expensive rabbit hole to dive into in my 50 years of experience. If you decide to take that dive, have a specific goal in mind. A particular sound that you just can't get close enough to with the Laney. Maybe an 18 watt Marshall 1974, or a Fender 5E3 tweed Deluxe. One of the classic amps that have been around forever. Those amps have whole universes of great sounds and quirky behaviors that will entertain and inspire you endlessly.

ooglybong likes this.
  19. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Proving once again that you should never ask a barber if you need a haircut. :)

scottcentilli, ooglybong and nobis17 like this.
  20. Captdan61

Captdan61 TDPRI Member

Having owned a lot of gear. I'm old enough that I've had some of the Vintage gear but at the time it was just Gear it wasn't vintage. Which probably means I'm vintage. I tend to like to start with an amp that is just at the edge of breakup I can roll my tongue all up in my volume knob off of my guitar to get a clean sound and then I will add a pedal to that sound to get the flavor I'm looking for. May I suggest you Watch the YouTube channel "60 cycle hum". Watch "the JHS pedal show". Watch "that pedal Show." And you'll start to get an understanding of which kind of pedals and tones you like. If you want to spend close to $1,000 on a guitar pedal that will do absolutely any kind of sound you want what's a reason from so do you like a fuzz pedal the ysomething like a klon. There's a pedal out there. You can spend as much or as little as you want. If you look carefully if you watch the shows I mentioned you should be able to find what you're looking for at whatever price point you want I just got through my mind 6 to the pedals that I thought were the best ones watching 60 cycle hum and a couple other pedal shows like that. I find these days that I'm just as happy playlist over town as I am planning a custom shop Les Paul. They all make noise. And honestly they all have their charm.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.