1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Did I make a mistake? SC hotter than HB

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by A13X, Oct 23, 2020.

1. A13X

A13X TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,
    I have been slowly putting a custom build together. It's a hss strat in a tele body. Months ago I order the Seymour Duncun 1/4 pound ssl-7 for the p90ish tone in the neck position.
    2 days ago I ordered the pearly gates humbucker for the bridge.

As I started my search for an rwrp middle that would work well, it dawned on me that I never checked the outputs of these pickups.

The single coil quarter pound says it's 14.1k
    And the pearly gates humbucker says it's 8.1k

Did I mess up big time? What will the ramifications be for such a discrepancy?

If not, any recommendations on the middle pup?

If it makes any difference; all of my amps are valve amps, and I spend majority of my time at amp settings that are very responsive to pick attack. Perhaps slightly favoring tube breakup over crystal clear cleans.

TIA

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

DC Resistance is not a direct correlation to output. The 1/4 pounders are pretty hot so its possible but I would give them a listen and not assume anything

A13X likes this.
  3. A13X

A13X TDPRI Member

Good advice, thank you. I guess I've just been overly obsessed with getting it "right" the first time. Probably due to having invested more into this build than any other guitar I've owned. Hopefully it all works out.

4. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have built many in my time. Try as you might, you will still miss on a thing or two. Just accept that and things will go much smoother for you. It's the cost of doing business

Ron C and Billy3 like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Resistance is not output / volume, and by playing with pickup height you have a lot of ability to adjust the relative output.
    I'm guessing that those pickups are a pretty close volume match and will be fine.

Jim622 likes this.
  6. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

So then what exactly does a pickup's resistance tell me? (It's a serious question, not trolling, and I appreciate the education.)

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A13X, Greggorios and PBO Blues like this.
  8. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

In a quiet work shop on Ampere Avenue.

*rap rap rap*

"Come on it, the door's unlocked."

"Hi, Uncle Breaker. Watts up?"

"A.C., it's good to see you. What's happening at the current moment?"

"Ohm...... trouble at school I reckon. Some guy called me a short circuit, so I had to socket to him."

"That's shocking. Are you in hot water?"

"Eh, since it wasn't my ground fault, I'll probably be okay."

"What does Alnico have to say about it? I know he's normally wound kind of tight."

" My Dad? He's neutral on it. Mom wants me grounded though. But she met with some resistance."

"Well, please relay to them for me not to blow a fuse. You just need a harmless outlet."

"Thanks, Uncle. They'll be glad to know that you're not amped-up about it."

"There's nothing to be gained from it. It's just wasted energy."

"Okay, I gotta go get ready for orchestra. I'm meeting the Conductor at the Junction Box."

"Sounds good. Stay out of the busbar, that bartender is a genuine dim-bulb."

"Thanks, Uncle. You're a regular conduit of wisdom."

"Nah, I'm just a generator of good advice, a real live-wire."

"Ha ha ha, that's true. D.C.-ya later!"

;):lol:

A13X and mkdaws32 like this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That is true - if the magnet strength and wire gauge are the same between two pickups, then DC resistance can tell you which will have more output, but the two pickups you are trying to compare are built very differently.

Another factor is that the strings vibrate more widely in the middle of the string, so with identical pickups in the neck and the bridge, set at identical heights from the string, the neck position will be louder.

With that combination, you might find the neck pickup has to be very low to get close to a balance, but you would have to try them to know for sure.

A13X and PBO Blues like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

While Bill Lawrence's response is meant for humor ... DC resistance tells you how much wire is wrapped around a bobbin. Comparing two pickups with the same geometry (Strat vs Strat single coil or P90 vs P90 single coil), the same magnet (Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5 vs Ceramic), and the same wire (42 vs 43 gauge) a 5kohm pickup will have less output than a 10kohm pickup because there are only half the number of coils to convert string movement to electrical impulses for your amp. Your amp might play clean with a weak pickup and tumble into distortion with a stronger pickup output voltage. Pickup geometry is generally fixed and magnet type is generally fixed (or at least stated if not obvious Alnico poles vs Ceramic) but winding is often the big variable used to tune a pickup's output.

So DCR tells you indirectly what the output of a pickup can be vs a second similar appearing pickup.
    It is also easy to measure because many players have a multi-meter around the house to check and repair car and house problems.
    Ease of measurement is a huge reason DCR is used to compare pickups.

A13X, PBO Blues and Wally like this.
  12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

My guess is that you'll find their output volumes close enough that by playing with height you can balance to your liking.

A13X likes this.
  13. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The simplest explanation is that you can kind of use DCR to compare two pickups that use similar construction (e.g., two PAFs, two traditional strat or tele pickups that use the same magnet size, magnet strength, and wire) it fails when you compare pickups that aren't using similar construction. And even with pickups that use the same output, it can cause you to believe two pickups will sound very similar when they don't (e.g., PRS has three pickups in guitars currently available with almost identical DCR but different tones).

I doubt the quarter pounder uses the same wire a PG does. I think it may have a taller bobbin, I know it has different polepieces, and I'd expect it to use thinner wire.

As an example, I have PRS Dragon I pickups in my 96 Custom 22. The bridge pickup is in the mid 19K range for DCR (measured at 70F). That sounds incredibly hot, but I'm pretty sure they use a thinner wire. It's a bit hot, but not insanely so and sounds really fat to my ears instead.

A13X and PBO Blues like this.
  14. A13X

A13X TDPRI Member

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge. It sounds like this pickup combination could go either way. At at least I know now that it has the potential to work out just fine. It's also very good to know that the resistance is only useful as a guide for similar pickups.

PBO Blues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.